IGNORED

LURKERS! Read please!

Valleygolfer
Note: This thread is 3641 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Shaggie13

I am a professional Lurker.  Licensed in California, and if I get caught with pot I will loose my license to practice lurking.  Also, I think of something to contribute, but have to get back to my other job that pays better, and forget to post.  Oh, I and sometimes I am lazy.

Hey! Not allowed! I think I just read that we don't do sarcasm here, so knock it off immediately!

Oh, and here's the dancing banana. Yes, if you see the banana, you're on drugs.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by dak4n6

I thought in Cali you have to smoke pot to be a licensed lurker?

That is true.  Once they take away your license they make you pay them a big fine and they give it back.  It turns out all they were looking for was a way to generate more revenues for the state.  They have to find a some way to balance the budget out here, you know.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by BEAN

I mostly lurk because I usually do not have enough golf knowledge to contribute.

Ask questions. Some people might tell you to Google it, but ignore them and ask questions. Surest way to try to get answers to the things you want to know about.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

If you think this place is rough you should check out some of the other forums.  I lurked at a number of sites before joining here.  I like that the members police the site to discourage trollers (like Patrick) and spammers from ruining the site for the rest of us.  Some people do get roughed up,  was one of them when I first joined, but I took an extreme and unpopular position on a thread and some of the members didn't agree.

Most of the people that take some abuse brought it on themselves by the wording of their post or past interactions with the community.  You can't come to a site like this and contribute without having thick skin.  Everyone isn't always going to agree with your opinion so you have to be prepared to defend your position intelligently.

No site is perfect, but overall IMO you won't find a better group of people who love golf than here.

Originally Posted by Mattplusness

I would imagine it has something to do with the attitude of some of the snootier members on here.

Joe Paradiso

I am a professional Lurker.  Licensed in California, and if I get caught with pot I will loose my license to practice lurking.  Also, I think of something to contribute, but have to get back to my other job that pays better, and forget to post.  Oh, I and sometimes I am lazy.

Awesome...

• Administrator
Originally Posted by newtogolf

If you think this place is rough you should check out some of the other forums.  I lurked at a number of sites before joining here.  I like that the members police the site to discourage trollers (like Patrick) and spammers from ruining the site for the rest of us.  Some people do get roughed up,  was one of them when I first joined, but I took an extreme and unpopular position on a thread and some of the members didn't agree.

And to add to what you said, even after you said that just now, I still have no idea what you're talking about, so it's pretty easy to overcome a rough start, because people simply don't remember things for very long. More important things to do than remember stuff like that.

If YOU hold a grudge, though, or continue to post like a jerk, you'll constantly remind people - you won't give them a chance to forget that you disagreed with them about something or whatever it is.

I mostly prefer to just read. Every now and then I see something that I cant keep quiet about. FYI I lurk every day. Probably spend an hour daily reading. I have learned a lot from Erik and Mike (and others).

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Originally Posted by BEAN

I mostly lurk because I usually do not have enough golf knowledge to contribute.

That shouldnt stop you  - it obviously hasnt stopped several others........

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Originally Posted by iacas

Ask questions. Some people might tell you to Google it, but ignore them and ask questions. Surest way to try to get answers to the things you want to know about.

Agree 100%. The people that sneer and tell you to google it are missing the whole spirit of TST.

"His job is to shed the light, and not to master," Robert Hunter 1977

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I didn't know squat about the game when I started lurking here. After reading tons of threads and getting addicted to the game, I had to sign up and learn more and help contribute to the community. I don't get buck wild trying to rack up a post count. But I will share my thoughts if the thread is worth it. And I can relate to many not wanting to post. For the longest time I felt like nobody on these forums gives a damn what I posted, and that it was irrelevant. But if you are going to spend the time reading, at least share your thoughts for the sake of getting them out of your head.

And as far as the guys running the site goes, they actually put in the time to keep this place a pretty concise and valuable resource. And I don't feel like it's cliquey. They just contribute...a lot...to many, many threads. So you see them regularly.

And yes, lurkers. Just start talking, start a thread with that random golf question, and come to the live chats on major Sundays. We don't bite.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by xxsoultonesxx

And yes, lurkers. Just start talking, start a thread with that random golf question, and come to the live chats on major Sundays. We don't bite.

Good suggestion. Those chats are fun. And you can see by reading some of the previous ones that none of us are all that serious about them. :)

• 1 year later...
I just miss this thread... Lurkers are you out there.... Lol

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I just miss this thread... Lurkers are you out there.... Lol

You're right, we are. I really enjoy reading what others have to say, and even having opinions about their comments. Don't feel witty/ knowledgable enough to contribute a lot of times though.

You're right, we are. I really enjoy reading what others have to say, and even having opinions about their comments. Don't feel witty/ knowledgable enough to contribute a lot of times though.

A lack of wit and knowledge hasn't stopped me from amassing over 5000 posts. Have at it!

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

[QUOTE name="jtw89" url="/t/59779/lurkers-read-please/36#post_959734"] You're right, we are. I really enjoy reading what others have to say, and even having opinions about their comments. Don't feel witty/ knowledgable enough to contribute a lot of times though.[/QUOTE] A lack of wit and knowledge hasn't stopped me from amassing over 5000 posts. Have at it!

Awe come on... you have half a wit...

Awe come on... you have half a wit...

:-P

Yours in earnest, Jason.

[QUOTE name="Valleygolfer" url="/t/59779/lurkers-read-please/36#post_959737"] Awe come on... you have half a wit...[/QUOTE] :-P

:-P

Note: This thread is 3641 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!