IGNORED

walking on to a college golf team?

golflax65
Note: This thread is 2327 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi everyone,

I'm sure there's been many of these let's say... 'pipe dream' type threads that get posted on here, whether it's making the tour, future olympics or even what I am asking about. My apologies in advance for my naivety.

Some background about myself; I've been playing the game infrequently and non-competitively (aside from family competition) for 10+ years. When it comes to handicap, I don't even have one recorded. I would say right now I'm a 20, some days better and some worse. The best round I can recall was a mid 80s. Up until late July I had not played golf in around a year, and before that I would play once or twice a month give or take,  but never would hit the range or practice really.

Lately I've taken a lot more interest in the game and have been reading up on things such as the "LAWS" philosophy and have been tweaking my swing  and I have had some shots that lead me to create this thread. While I haven't figured out the key to consistent driving or fairway wood play yet, I feel like some of the iron shots I have made scream potential and that with a lot of hard work and development could lead to some great iron play at the least.

Off the top of my head I want to share a few examples, such as 150-155 yard pitching wedge shots, 210+ yard five irons, and some 240-260 yard 4 irons. When I strike the driver well, my drives can range from 280-300+, five woods 250+, and 3 woods that can sometimes out-distance my driver. These are not typical shots but rather when I pure it and everything is in sync, but as my irons 6-P go I hit these shots fairly consistently with accuracy. My chipping and pitching is decent, but my putting accounts for at least 10 extra strokes a round  with the frequency of 3-putts.

At this point if you're still reading I'm sure my naivety is overwhelming but I realize distance isn't the name of the game, but it does make me think of "what if" scenarios if I were to train and take my game to a higher level.

I wouldn't be trying out this season, but rather a year from now which would be a lot of time I could spent on the range, getting my swing in sync, and playing a lot of golf. It would require me to quit the current sport I play, however. It's a D1 school team and from the tournament scores I see posted their scores posted range from high 60s (rarely) but some players shoot in the mid 70 to high 70s.

I also realize that golf is a game that people dedicate their life from an early age to, years of practice that cannot simply be made up in a year of training, years I cannot get back. But then I read some of the off ball stories like Y.E. Yang who was a weight lifter until he was 16 and as we all know now is a PGA tour player, it at least sparks some thought.

Should I tee it up and give it a shot, or am I simply attempting to bite off a lot more than I can chew?

Oh boy, get ready.... Long story short. Unless previously you shot around even par, you have a while before you get there. It doesn't matter how long or how good your shots are randomly it is how consistent you are and can you save par after those "less than stellar " shots. Some people can drop handicaps down quickly but 20 is steep. Unless you have a coach or videoing your swing and able to make changes quickly, you are looking at possibly 2 to 20 years to get to even par. It just depends on how much time you can devote and natural talent.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Most D1 schools are extremely hard to walk on to.  I went to Michigan State University and I did try to walk on to their golf team.  I was a good golfer in high school...consistently shot in the mid to high 70's in competitive play.  And I actually played well in the tryout.  However at most D1 schools they recruit their golfers like any other sport.  I shot a 74 the first round and it wasn't good enough to even be considered.  In order to walk on to a D1 school that recruits and gives them scholarships, you need to shoot under par in order to even have a chance.  They have obviously put in too much money and recruiting effort to waste their time on someone who can shoot in the mid 70's one day.

I'm sorry but I just don't believe some of your distances.  You are either lying or the markers at your driving range are way off.  240-260 with your 4 iron?????  Come on....Rory hit's his 4iron 210. (yes he can swing harder and hit it farther if he needs to)  Even Sergio Garcia's max 4 iron was 250 yards.

Anyways,  Its possible to get your handicap from a 20 down to single digits in a year if all you did was golf.  Range every day, practice rounds 3,4 times a week.  You would probably want to get a swing coach also.

And if you hit the ball that far what's the problem that is allowing a 20 handicap?  How is your short game?  What causes your bogeys, double bogey's etc?

• Upvote 1

Play a lot of cheap intramural golf, enjoy school, get an education, get a really good job, play more golf. That should be your plan. D1 golf is not in your future, but life after college should be.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Rad Tour 16* | Tour Edge 19* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

Your chances are very slim to make it is a walk-on, not the least of which is the status of your game. D1 schools have scholarship players, and you're likely to be in a situation of like 30 (or more) golfers trying for 1 or 2 spots. If you're not breaking par you won't make it.

But by all means, try. The experience will help your game.

My personal experience was trying to make Kent State's golf team as a walk-on in 1978, my sophomore year. I was a 4-handicap at the time. Now back then Kent wasn't a powerhouse golf school (it surprisingly is now, especially for its size), and we are talking over 30 years ago. I shot 73-79-78. Coach told me to go home.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by golflax65

Hi everyone,

{...}

Should I tee it up and give it a shot, or am I simply attempting to bite off a lot more than I can chew?

You will not walk on to a college golf team.

What's your current sport? Are you near D1 talent and skill in that sport? Do you think you could walk on in that sport? If not, what makes you think you can go from high-handicapper to D1 competitive ever -- much less in one year? Imagine someone who was not close to good enough to play that other sport on a high school team asking you if they had a shot at walking onto your D1 school's team.

Should you give it a shot? Heck, your game will improve and you'll be able to play all your life. So, sure, work on your game. Biting off more than you can chew? Other than time and some money, it sounds like you have little risk.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Originally Posted by rustyredcab

You will not walk on to a college golf team.

What's your current sport? Are you near D1 talent and skill in that sport? Do you think you could walk on in that sport? If not, what makes you think you can go from high-handicapper to D1 competitive ever -- much less in one year? Imagine someone who was not close to good enough to play that other sport on a high school team asking you if they had a shot at walking onto your D1 school's team.

Should you give it a shot? Heck, your game will improve and you'll be able to play all your life. So, sure, work on your game. Biting off more than you can chew? Other than time and some money, it sounds like you have little risk.

With a handle like golflax65, I'm guessing it's lacrosse.

TourSpoon hit the nail on the head.  Most universities have a way for students to play the game on the cheap.  Take advantage of that and prepare yourself for your future.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Originally Posted by bwdial

With a handle like golflax65, I'm guessing it's lacrosse.

TourSpoon hit the nail on the head.  Most universities have a way for students to play the game on the cheap.  Take advantage of that and prepare yourself for your future.

I thought lax as well. This scenario would be similar to you asking if you played with a fiddlestick in the backyard and played in your high school PE class would you be able to walk onto the D1 lax team and play after practicing really hard for a year. To think this way really underestimates the time and effort of the existing players that have made it and the talent they possess. Competitive D1 College Golf is not much different as it is not just a matter of transitioning from recreation to competition. It is the culmination of many years of work combined with playing competitively under pressure. Zip's experience of breaking 80 all 3 rounds very impressive, yet his not getting a sniff is telling of the college playing experience.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Rad Tour 16* | Tour Edge 19* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

I thought lax as well. This scenario would be similar to you asking if you played with a fiddlestick in the backyard and played in your high school PE class would you be able to walk onto the D1 lax team and play after practicing really hard for a year. To think this way really underestimates the time and effort of the existing players that have made it and the talent they possess. Competitive D1 College Golf is not much different as it is not just a matter of transitioning from recreation to competition. It is the culmination of many years of work combined with playing competitively under pressure. Zip's experience of breaking 80 all 3 rounds very impressive, yet his not getting a sniff is telling of the college playing experience.

And the thing is, I wasn't disappointed. I played well. I was proud of breaking 80 three consecutive rounds competitively. I simply wasn't good enough. Here's how it went each day:

I turned in my card to the coach after I shot the 73. He said "Come back tomorrow."

Next day I shot 79. "Come back tomorrow."

Next day I shot 78. "Go home."

So at least I made two 'cuts' before I was sent home.

The Coach was - and still is - Herb Page. Excellent golf program - Ben Curtis, Eric Mills, Mike Morrow, lots of club pros played at Kent.

Originally Posted by golflax65

Originally Posted by Mattplusness

The same people who have settled for everything in their whole life are telling you to do the same and not go for your dreams.

And some people have very little to contribute to the OP's question so they attack the people who are trying to use perspective to answer it.

My handicap is currently 3. A couple of weeks ago I played with a kid that was a +.5. This kid was way better than me, and he was "hoping" to play D-1 golf. I used to be assistant superintendent at the home course for D-3 power Methodist College. Those D-3 kids were really good golfers.  There is a ton of depth in mens college golf. Although it is possible to walk on to a college golf team, it is highly unlikely.

Quote:

The same people who have settled for everything in their whole life are telling you to do the same and not go for your dreams

As played out as this topic is, I find it amusing that in the midst of sound advice, opinion, and personal experience this retort always comes up.  The OP wants to know what the chances are of achieving his proposed goal so he can make an informed choice on whether to pursue it.  The reality is that it will require an immense sacrifice of time, money, and personal relationships to do the training required to even get to the point where attending a tryout for D1 wouldn't be an embarrassment and failure would be much more likely than not.  Is he willing to make these sacrifices for a miniscule shot at success?  Who knows.  But what other opportunities will pass right by while he's trying to attain the nearly impossible?

• Upvote 1

Is it possible? Sure. Somebody's got to lotto too.

Some here imply that it will take more work than you might be willing to give. If hard work and effort were all that was needed to get from an 80's shooter to a D1 golf team player, there would be a lot more of us that were D1 college team good. And doing it in one year? That is freak of nature stuff. Perhaps you have freak of nature gifts.

Do it and they will write songs about you. Young women will name their babies after you. And I'll be the first to congratulate you and admit that I was wrong.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

The same people who have settled for everything in their whole life are telling you to do the same and not go for your dreams.

Glad to hear you think I've settled for everything in my life cuz I couldn't make my college golf team as a walk-on.

I wholeheartedly encourage the OP to go for his dreams. Just giving my experience in my attempt.

Which, by the way, doesn't give you license to criticize how I've lived my life.

Going for your dreams is great but it requires a dose of reality which the other posters in this thread are providing.

Joe Paradiso

You won't walk on at any top D1 program and I would say this even if you were a solid golfer with a low cap. Walking on at a top D1 school is difficult since they have very limited spots and a lot kids who were close to getting scholarships will still go to that school to try to walk on the team. If you don't care about where you go or anything but rather just want to play D1 golf I'm sure if you looked around you could find a D1 school where low 80s might get you on the team.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Note: This thread is 2327 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!