IGNORED

Does increasing xfactor almost guarantee increasing distance?

Note: This thread is 4122 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I would say the only thing increasing "x factor" would do is make for some sore joints.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by broombroom

In other words if I don't change anything in my swing apart from restricting my hips a little more will I see improved distance?

God no. The X-Factor is a crock of shit, and pretty much every regular from this community knows it. For the love of all that is sacred, don't restrict your hip turn!

Please read this thread so you don't ruin your swing and/or hurt yourself: http://thesandtrap.com/t/55080/myth-of-maintaining-address-flexion-in-the-rear-knee

Bubba Watson has the biggest backswing hip turn of anyone on the PGA tour. Hmmm, I wonder how far he hits it?

• Upvote 2

Constantine

Pretty sure the "inventor" of the X factor has stopped promoting the X factor because of the aforementioned crock of brown-stuff.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

God no. The X-Factor is a crock of shit, and pretty much every regular from this community knows it. For the love of all that is sacred, don't restrict your hip turn! Please read this thread so you don't ruin your swing and/or hurt yourself: [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/t/55080/myth-of-maintaining-address-flexion-in-the-rear-knee]http://thesandtrap.com/t/55080/myth-of-maintaining-address-flexion-in-the-rear-knee[/URL] Bubba Watson has the biggest backswing hip turn of anyone on the PGA tour. Hmmm, I wonder how far he hits it?

yes I understand this but he could still have a big xfactor with a big shoulder turn. There are different ways of achieving speed. Bubba swings very wide with a big arc his power source.does xfactor play a part in speed?

If you don't like the answers you have been given so far, you could very easily try it for yourself the next time you are at the range.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

X-Factor... Y-Factor... Both are poor instructional swing jargon.  Do yourself a favor and check out this thread...

http://thesandtrap.com/t/55426/introducing-five-simple-keys

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

God no. The X-Factor is a crock of shit, and pretty much every regular from this community knows it. For the love of all that is sacred, don't restrict your hip turn!

JetFan,

You need to stop holding back and tell us how you really feel! .  Your response made my day!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Please read this thread so you don't ruin your swing and/or hurt yourself: http://thesandtrap.com/t/55080/myth-of-maintaining-address-flexion-in-the-rear-knee

Bubba Watson has the biggest backswing hip turn of anyone on the PGA tour. Hmmm, I wonder how far he hits it?

You might want to read up on McLean's latest (2008) discussion about his X-factor.  Not about restricting the hip turn, but increasing the differential between the upper body and the hips at the beginning of the downswing, one of the reasons for the pro player's length.  In other words, leading the downswing with the lower body, which is pretty good advice.

There's big world out there.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Harmonious

You might want to read up on McLean's latest (2008) discussion about his X-factor.  Not about restricting the hip turn, but increasing the differential between the upper body and the hips at the beginning of the downswing, one of the reasons for the pro player's length.  In other words, leading the downswing with the lower body, which is pretty good advice.

That's called the X-Factor Stretch and McLean didn't invent that, it was more the biomechanists that used his X-Factor term and added the "stretch" to cover an increase in that angle during transition: http://philcheetham.com/the-importance-of-stretching-the-x-factor-in-the-downswing-of-golf-the-x-factor-stretch/ . Contrary to the Mclean X-Factor stuff, it's a legitimate thing in the golf swing. The X-Factor itself... not so much.

In other words, you're both right.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I've already read about that. Erik's posted about it. The OP was not referring to this, clearly. He specifically said he wanted to restrict his hip turn, and the "X-Factor stretch" is not about restricting the hip turn, as you said.

I'm aware of this bigger world. Bubba Watson, who I referred to my first post as having an enormous backswing hip turn, increases the differential between his hips and shoulders on his downswing by a pretty considerable margin:

So much hip turn his belt buckle is facing the camera.

Shoulders still really closed. Hips have already rotated something like 50 degrees? Insane.

Originally Posted by Harmonious

Mmm hmmmm. I agree. Do you really think I'm that close minded though?

Constantine

Sorry for the double post, but the edit time ran out on the above one.

Originally Posted by boogielicious

JetFan,

You need to stop holding back and tell us how you really feel!  .  Your response made my day!

Hehe, thanks, man. Yea, I figured I'd save the guy his lower back with some tough love. If this was the first ever "should I restrict my hip turn for power" thread, I'd probably have approached it differently. But because this is like the 100th one, I thought I'd go this route this time

Constantine

Let me play devils advocate here. Go back a good 3-4 years when Anthony Kim was playing well. The guy has little to no hip turn and he bombed it. I wonder how he did it honestly. He most likely could have gotten more power through a larger turn of the hips but instead he choked up and kept his back knee flexed. For some I truly believe that keeping that back knee can be beneficial because it could be easier to hit the ball squarer. What I mean by that is you could have an easier time staying in posture and making crisp contact. Just my two cents.

Originally Posted by jd924

Let me play devils advocate here. Go back a good 3-4 years when Anthony Kim was playing well. The guy has little to no hip turn and he bombed it. I wonder how he did it honestly. He most likely could have gotten more power through a larger turn of the hips but instead he choked up and kept his back knee flexed. For some I truly believe that keeping that back knee can be beneficial because it could be easier to hit the ball squarer. What I mean by that is you could have an easier time staying in posture and making crisp contact. Just my two cents.

Yea, I understand what you're saying. Anthony Kim is a good example of someone who can do this. Yani Tseng does this too.

You've really gotta be gifted though to pull it off -- meaning you are flexible enough to do it and still turn your shoulders a lot, not hurt yourself, not let your head sway a bunch, and not turn your shoulders too flat. Sure, if someone can do that comfortably and still hit the ball with power and accuracy, I would agree it's probably fine. Most can't though. Like 99% of people can't.

Constantine

Yea, I understand what you're saying. Anthony Kim is a good example of someone who can do this. Yani Tseng does this too.

You've really gotta be gifted though to pull it off -- meaning you are flexible enough to do it and still turn your shoulders a lot, not hurt yourself, not let your head sway a bunch, and not turn your shoulders too flat. Sure, if someone can do that comfortably and still hit the ball with power and accuracy, I would agree it's probably fine. Most can't though. Like 99% of people can't.

99%? Can I have some statistical backing for this assumption

Quote:

99%? Can I have some statistical backing for this assumption

Yes, those statistics I believe are somewhere tucked away in a file cabinet in my rear end. I'll check with my secretary ... perhaps a little hyperbole with that post you quoted, but I really only think its just a little.

Constantine

Leaving your shoulder turn at 90 degrees and starting your hip turn in the downswing is what gives you power, is this what they refer to as disassociation?

- Jered

• Administrator

Anthony Kim is one of the only people I've ever seen do this on the PGA Tour.

Exceptions to every rule. And he may not even be an exception - he might have hit the ball longer with a little hip turn. We don't know.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 4122 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!