Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Artimas

Why do I keep topping my hybrids?

26 posts in this topic

A few years ago I began playing recreational golf and bought Callaway Diablo Edge irons. The pro shop recommended that I get 4 and 5 hybrids instead of true irons. I never had hit hybrids before but had read they were forgiving and bought them. I have never been able to hit them well. I seem to top them all the time. I occasionally hit them off the tee and then can make good contact. I've tried to change my stance, ball position, etc., without success.

I'm playing a lot more over the past year, and I'm not crazy about the Diablos, but I really don't want to buy new clubs at this point. I'd rather be able to hit those 4 and 5 hybrids, and get new clubs after I improve overall a bit more.

Any thights appreciated.

Thanks!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Tough to say for sure without seeing your swing, but my guess would be that you're trying to hit them with a sweeping stroke, similar to what you use with a fairway wood.  With a hybrid, even though they look more like a fairway wood, you should use the same type of swing that you use with your irons.....a descending swing, hitting down on the ball.  It doesn't even hurt to try to take a little bit of a divot.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by David in FL

Tough to say for sure without seeing your swing, but my guess would be that you're trying to hit them with a sweeping stroke, similar to what you use with a fairway wood.  With a hybrid, even though they look more like a fairway wood, you should use the same type of swing that you use with your irons.....a descending swing, hitting down on the ball.  It doesn't even hurt to try to take a little bit of a divot.


This.........

I take the same size divots with my hybrids as I do with my irons now, but I used to have the same problem as the OP before I forced myself to hit down on them.  Now I prefer hitting hybrids to fairway woods.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree with all of the above. HIT down and THROUGH. You should definitely be looking to take a divot, not a big divot but you should be able to clearly see where the club contacted the ground after (hopefully) the ball. My guess is your subconsciously trying to scoop it right now. Smack that dumb little ball into the dirt, you'll see it jump up and fly down the fairway rubbing its ass the whole way!! You'll know when you did it right by the feel and sound of the contact. Hybrids can be tough to figure out for some people (I used to top them 99% of the time) but they absolutely rock once you figure it out.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As a fellow high handicapper, I find that I top my hybrids when I overswing. It's a mental thing with me- I'm hitting my hybrid because I'm a long way out, and something in my tiny little golf brain tells me that I have to HIT IT to get it there, and I swing hard and pull up, which leads to a top. When I slow down, swing through it,  and let the club do the work, the ball just flies off of the club face.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Perfect Slicer

As a fellow high handicapper, I find that I top my hybrids when I overswing. It's a mental thing with me- I'm hitting my hybrid because I'm a long way out, and something in my tiny little golf brain tells me that I have to HIT IT to get it there, and I swing hard and pull up, which leads to a top. When I slow down, swing through it,  and let the club do the work, the ball just flies off of the club face.

That's the rule for all your clubs, that is why you have 14 of them.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're probably hitting the top of the golf ball.  to fix this problem, I recommend you hit the golf ball in the center of the club-face.


I hope this helps......

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had the same problem and all I needed to do was to play the ball back further in my stance and try and take a divot.  Problem solved.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I've been hitting down on these clubs, but perhaps I've not, subconsciously.

I'll pay more attention and see what happens, although our weather has turned bad and I'll be "golfless" for at least a week or 2.

Thanks to all.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Artimas

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I've been hitting down on these clubs, but perhaps I've not, subconsciously.

I'll pay more attention and see what happens, although our weather has turned bad and I'll be "golfless" for at least a week or 2.

Thanks to all.

Buckeye and bubble were especially helpful...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Put the ball back in your stance, remember the club is more of an iron than a wood. Keep your hands in front of the head on impact. Keep your thumbs on the arrows on the grip. The clubs have a slight offset and this keeps you from closing the face too much.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I disagree with the advice to put it back in your stance.  I wouldn't dream of giving advice based on my own golf game, however, I had the exact same problem with topping hybrids.  My teaching pro told me to hit it off my front foot, i.e., forward in the stance.   Agree with everything the others said about using an "iron swing" and hitting down.  I don't take a divot necessarily, but you definitely have to compress the ball.

In any event, I'll repeat that I am only telling you what my teacher told me but it has worked completely.  I now feel pretty confident with all three of my hybrids (3, 4 and 5) and get some of my best shots every round with them.

The only downside I've found is that on a long par 3, for example, the ball flight can tend to result in hitting the green and skidding off the back because it just doesn't have the arc.  I'd love to be one of those guys who can hit an 8 iron 200 but for me that's the 3 hybrid and it's hard sometimes to keep it on the green because of the lower trajectory ball flight.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quote:
I never had hit hybrids before but had read they were forgiving and bought them. I have never been able to hit them well. I seem to top them all the time. I occasionally hit them off the tee and then can make good contact. I've tried to change my stance, ball position, etc., without success.

Solidarity, brother...

I can fully empathize with this problem.

But I think I've found the solution (at least a solution that works for me)....

Remove hybrid from bag. Photograph it and place it on ebay.

Return to hitting 5 wood and long irons off the deck and have a happier golfing experience.

Good luck...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by 1484

I disagree with the advice to put it back in your stance.  I wouldn't dream of giving advice based on my own golf game, however, I had the exact same problem with topping hybrids.  My teaching pro told me to hit it off my front foot, i.e., forward in the stance.   Agree with everything the others said about using an "iron swing" and hitting down.  I don't take a divot necessarily, but you definitely have to compress the ball.

In any event, I'll repeat that I am only telling you what my teacher told me but it has worked completely.  I now feel pretty confident with all three of my hybrids (3, 4 and 5) and get some of my best shots every round with them.

The only downside I've found is that on a long par 3, for example, the ball flight can tend to result in hitting the green and skidding off the back because it just doesn't have the arc.  I'd love to be one of those guys who can hit an 8 iron 200 but for me that's the 3 hybrid and it's hard sometimes to keep it on the green because of the lower trajectory ball flight.

hybrids should actually fly a little higher than its equal iron due to a little bit lower CoG.  If you still get a low ballflight you could always try a different shaft to try and raise your flight some.

I have no problem with hybrids skidding but I naturally hit a high ball, anyway.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Paradox

hybrids should actually fly a little higher than its equal iron due to a little bit lower CoG.  If you still get a low ballflight you could always try a different shaft to try and raise your flight some.

I have no problem with hybrids skidding but I naturally hit a high ball, anyway.

I think in this case it's the jockey and not the horse.  You're just a much better golfer Mr. 8.8!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're trying to hit a hybrid off your front foot, you're pretty much defeating the purpose of a hybrid.  That's like hitting a fairway wood.

Put it center/just forward of center and swing like an iron.  The ball will launch higher than the 3/4 iron, which is why I play hybrids instead of the irons.  The lower CoG really helps get the ball up in the air.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I think I should have said put the ball in the middle of your stance not on the inside of the front foot like a driver or fairway wood.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0