IGNORED

Question for teachers: Why are Dan McLaughlin's (www.thedanplan.com) numbers so low

garybbq
Note: This thread is 3917 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What does that have to do with anyting Jefan said? Or why his numbers are So Low. [quote name="mchepp" url="/t/66682/question-for-teachers-why-are-dan-mclaughlins-www-thedanplan-com-numbers-so-low/54#post_841345"] I know his current coach Adrian knows a good deal of S&T.; He coaches one of my friends and most of what my friend tells me they work on is S&T-like; stuff.[/quote]

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by mchepp

I personally am beginning to wonder if he is truly interested in getting better or making the whole thing into a circus. Many of his posts in his blog now are which equipment he is working on and what conference talk he is giving, or interviews or other non-golf nonsense.

He's falling short of his projections and probably running out of money.  It appears he's opted to do conferences and hawk some products to avoid getting a real job.

Joe Paradiso

What does that have to do with anyting Jefan said? Or why his numbers are So Low.

I was referring to this. [quote name="JetFan1983" url="/t/66682/question-for-teachers-why-are-dan-mclaughlins-www-thedanplan-com-numbers-so-low/60#post_841292"] Or at the very least, given his fondness for writing, reading and photography, he hasn't discovered many of the various teaching schools of thought in golf like, say, TGM or S&T; or 5SK, or MORAD, or whatever. [/quote]

Michael

Let me start out by saying that I like Dan and I like the project.  I am impressed by the dedication and effort that he is putting in.  I believe it to be doomed, however...

When you go to a PGA event, you realize that these guys are physically impressive.  When you watch on television, you don't get the full scope of how athletic they are.  Generally speaking they are big, strong dudes.  Big strong guys generate a lot of speed.  The shorter guys also generate a ton of speed for their size, even more impressive, IMO.  Dan is little, slight of frame, and not particularly fast.  That right there is the whole enchilada as to why he doesn't hit a big ball.  It's not a case of instruction.  I have been around guys who never had any instruction, pick up a club and a week later they can hit is 250+.  It certainly isn't for the lack of practice and playing.  He simply doesn't have the physical capability to hit a big ball.

Moreover, the notion that Dan can play at a professional level is a pipe dream.  I don't even think he'll make scratch.  I think the 10,000 hour theory will come out completely busted.  It takes hard work and dedication to play at a high level of any sport.  It certainly takes a lot of time.  But there is more than that.  It takes talent.  No amount of time can make up for the lack of talent.

Anybody who disputes that simply hasn't been around high level athletics and therefore has no idea what they are talking about.

I wonder if he is any good...and I mean TRULY good...at anything else?

As I said earlier about the pro-soccer player who had to retire because of injury and then took up golf and is now well and truly on his way to a pro career in golf BUT the difference here is the pro-soccer guy clearly has natural talent already otherwise he wouldnt have become a pro-soccer player.

So it would be good to understand whether Dan is truly good at anything else because right there is probably as good an indicator about whether he has any chance or not...I just dont see that in any of his videos.

Regards

Mailman

Mailman

• 2 months later...
I wouldn't, working at a golf course for 8 years has allowed me to see thousands and thousands of golf swings. I would dare say 50% or more of men couldn't learn to hit a ball 250 yards.

Completely agree! I swing at around 109 with the driver and occasionally roll one out to around 320 but my average carry would only be just over 250 yards and I'm considered fairly long in our club. We have a par five with a 220 metre (240 yard) water carry and there are maybe a dozen members who can carry it consistently in winter when it's 5 to 10 degrees c

Look up James Oh ( no not related to Ted Oh ) I think he is 5' 8". He shot 24 under out in the desert on a track the pros hate, designed by Jack Nicholas. One of those rounds was a 62 or 63.this was in a qualifer to get his pga tour card. I don't know how far he hits it but I would wager at least 280

Who the f is jack nicholas

Originally Posted by garybbq

You really think so? I mean 4000 hours is a seriously long time to spend on golf. I have seen quite a few high handicap golfers in reasonable shape carry past 250 and they certianly didnt spend 4000 hours with a coach.

I'm gonna use the same line used for almost any other sport...

You can't teach speed. Period. You can improve someone's speed, but some people are faster than others.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Originally Posted by MS256

I was actually surprised the other way when I went to watch the Tour Championship. Tiger and a few other guys that I had seen on TV for so many years were smaller in person than I expected.

I thought the same thing when I first saw Tiger in person.  He's fit for sure, but not big.

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Why do we have another thread on the Dan Plan?  Isn't one enough?

I'd say this was sufficiently specific to warrant its own post, but by post 3 it devolved into the talent debate.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Don't get me started on this trust fund baby narcissistic no talent "look at me everyone and praise me for trying something" lousy vanity handicapping no good hyper-blogging overanalytic no talent scrawny ass excuse for a full-time golfer.

Originally Posted by TJBam

Don't get me started on this trust fund baby narcissistic no talent "look at me everyone and praise me for trying something" lousy vanity handicapping no good hyper-blogging overanalytic no talent scrawny ass excuse for a full-time golfer.

Was waiting for you to show up. lol

Ryan M

This guy is such a homo.  He posts madonna-esque love songs and shit after each of his blog posts.

"Going to work on driver now.

[Insert youtube embedded sappy I CAN DO IT SONG by some lady]"

Oh and he plays to an 18 handicap in the club championship but only makes big posts about his incredible breakthroughs and claims to play to a 5.  LOL.  Got to keep the investors (read: rich daddy nyc banker) happy and continue funneling the cash into his leisurely lifestyle of doing nothing but playing and blogging about his shitty golf game.

Oh and he plays to an 18 handicap in the club championship but only makes big posts about his incredible breakthroughs and claims to play to a 5.  LOL.  Got to keep the investors (read: rich daddy nyc banker) happy and continue funneling the cash into his leisurely lifestyle of doing nothing but playing and blogging about his shitty golf game.

I wonder if I could beat him head-to-head after devoting the last 3 months to my golf game while graduating college, moving into a new place, and starting a new job at the same time...

Ryan M

Come to think of it, Dan and I do have something in common. http://thesandtrap.com/t/67910/tjb-golf-blog

Originally Posted by Slice of Life

I wonder if I could beat him head-to-head after devoting the last 3 months to my golf game while graduating college, moving into a new place, and starting a new job at the same time...

I bet you could.  After a 10 hour workday at that!

I'm glad you're always here to hate on Dan with me.

I bet you could.  After a 10 hour workday at that!

I'm glad you're always here to hate on Dan with me.

I really have no need to hate on him. I'm jealous, and wish I had a rich daddy to fund my project. Difference is, I'm about 157 times more athletic than he is, so my project wouldn't be a complete waste of time. Even as a crappier golfer, I have more distance than him. He's not long enough for the LPGA.

Ryan M

Originally Posted by Slice of Life

I really have no need to hate on him. I'm jealous, and wish I had a rich daddy to fund my project. Difference is, I'm about 157 times more athletic than he is, so my project wouldn't be a complete waste of time. Even as a crappier golfer, I have more distance than him. He's not long enough for the LPGA.

I think that what he is doing is probbaly the most boring thing you could do. Imagine putting for 6 hours straight.

And that fact that he is hopelss - and clearly was from day one must make it worse.

I really can't understand how so many people seem to think that because someone devotes a lot of time to golf they will inevitably become good at it.

Why do people need an "explanation of his numbers". He is crap. End of story.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Note: This thread is 3917 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!