IGNORED

Terrible golfer, but loving the game, do I bother you good golfers?

Scooter212
Note: This thread is 3960 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

We all have to start somewhere right? I suck at this horrible piece of S__T game but I love it and work hard to get better. As long as you keep up with the group ahead of you, then you're fine. Enjoy the ride man.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Pretty much what everyone says, don't take too much time. And if for some reason someone does play up on you, let them play through if you are playing at your max pace. I'm not a great player, recently my game is getting better though. I tend to play fast enough that I catch up to even a single player in front of me.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by chriskzoo

The only thing that bothers me about bad golfers is when they insist of taking multiple practice swings before every shot because they know they are not good and somehow think the practice swing will help them.  That slows down play more than anything and it probably detrimental by the fact that it makes them constantly think about why they are so bad.

F*** the practice swings - when it's your turn, step up there and hit it - I guarantee you'll think less about what you're doing and play better.  What I can't stand is this:

2 Practice swings, hit it 50 yards

2 Practice swings, shank it

2 Practice swings, duff it 5 yards

2 Practice swings....

JUST HIT THE BALL!

I totally agree with this.  My swing is not very consistent so practice swings do me no good.  It's not like I can "rehearse" a draw or cut or whatever.  I usually take practice swings on the first hole but once I'm warmed up, I stop taking practice swings.  I figure - maybe that practice swing was a good one and I just wasted it by not hitting the ball!

Originally Posted by Scooter212

I looked at a few threads, pace of play coming to mind mostly.

I am terrible at this game, have not actually played a course in 3 years, but have started getting my clubs out again at the driving range. Finally I can hit a drive straight at least once in every 5 or 6 or so shots.

Anyway, I was looking at the "pace of play" thread, and got to thinking, does my very poor swing and just horrible game bother people?? I can play through relatively quick, around 4 hours or less, obviously depending on who I play with. Scores are low tho, I don't think I have hit under 110 yet, so I have more to learn for sure.

So pro's, do I bother you at the course, or am I good to go?

Cheers

Scooter.

I know plenty of people who play 40-50 rounds a year and shoot 110. As long as you play at a good pace and don't hold up the group you are in and, hence, the groups behind, welcome!

Bill M

scooter not sure where you live but if in the LA area you are always welcome to play with us.

Most of the time it is me, my son and father in law, we hack but have fun, play our own game not anyone else.

Happy to hear you love the game enjoy!

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

Originally Posted by Russtopher

I'm really glad this thread started, as I've been working up the nerve to head to a course on my own for the first time. My wife bought me a gift card for a few rounds to the course down the street from us, I've been wanting to actually get out and play instead of hitting buckets at the range. That's pretty much all I've been doing since starting to play last summer, save for some outings with friends. I've been worried about not being able to keep up with folks I get partnered with, making some gigantic breach of etiquette, etc.

Check with the course about when things are typically quieter.  Our local muni can be almost empty in the evening (depending on the day--some days have league play).  On the right day, I've had the course almost to myself.  May not get in 9 holes, but it would be a great time to start playing a course, as you get to know the lay of the fairways and greens, placement of bunkers, etc. Bring an encouraging friend (not Jack Daniels) who knows the course.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Play quickly as possible. That does not mean rush your shot. Instead have a routine that you always repeat. THat being said make your routine as simple and short as possible. I always stand behind the ball first and try to envision the shot then I try to make 2 practice swing exactly the way I think I need to make the actual shot. I then stand in and make the actual shot. It is amazing how much better your shots will be by doing this simple routine.

The other thing when you start to have a blowup hole pick up the ball and take your stroke appropriate maximum stroke total for the hole.

Is taking a practice swing or two really that bad? I was playing last weekend and had been playing really good, for me, three bogeys in a row, then a par, when we were joined by two other golfers who were noticeably better than us. I started rushing every shot and not taking practice swings to not slow up the game, even though we were behind a pair of real duffers that looked more like they were playing slow motion field hockey. Two of them played slower than five of us. After that it was a blizzard of snowmen, sevens, and sixes. If I don't take at least a practice swing to make sure I am in the neighborhood of striking the ball correctly, I am likely to top the ball.

I think the big thing that seems to slow up play are the searches for balls.  My feeling is that they are cheap, and I will give the area I saw it go the once over, then I will drop a ball in bounds, and just continue on. I have played with some people that treat lost balls like lost children.

Originally Posted by Moppy

Is taking a practice swing or two really that bad?

It is when it's one of those ones where you address the imaginary ball and stand still for 4 seconds and then complete a full swing as if you are really hitting it, complete with full follow through.

A practice swing should really be a relaxed, loose swing which is part of your set up. Not a disjointed, jerky separate move that adss 20 seconds to your shot.

If you have not hit your shot within about 20 seconds of the last player to hit, you are dragging the chain.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

To go along with the whole practice swing thing. You can always get a practice swing or two in waiting for others to hit their shots, so long as you arent so close that your swinging would distract them.

As a beginner, one thing you might enjoy is an executive or par 3 course.  Kind of like a farm league.  It is sometimes more more relaxed.  Maybe you won't have to pick your ball up as much to keep up the pace.  They are often less crowded too.  There is a par 3 at my local course.  When I don't have a bunch of time or the course is busy, I'll play it.  I actually really enjoy executive courses.  Like par 60 or something similar.  I do better at par 3's, so it feels good to score well.

IMO there are too many variables to make broad generalizations, particularly about things like practice swings. Some people probably play fine without them, and I do not take one before each and every shot, but most folks benifit from a practice swing (or two). The trick is not to "piddle around" about it. As noted, you can often take your practice swings while someone else is hitting. From what I see, speeding up play is far more about not sitting in the cart watching everyone else hit before beginning your own club selection and setup process when you could be preparing instead. This is also the case if you are waiting on the group ahead, as happens all too often. Golf is a fairly expensive game, both greens fees and time. I understand the sentiment behind discouraging practice swings; I was behind one of "those guys" the other day. But a practice swing helps in many cases, and if the practice swing doesn't turn into a mini range session doesn't take that long. Again, IMHO keeping up a good pace has a lot more to do with getting your butt over to your ball and being ready for your turn (with your practice swing) when it is indeed your turn to hit. Often that means grabbing a few clubs to carry over and make a final selection (live in Fla. and carts are the norm here). There is a LOT more of what I call "piddling around" that goes on than just taking practice swings, and that has no potential positive effect on the player's score. I am happy to play with new players, particularly if they are trying to "play right." (Different than "play well"). As already stated, if you are getting a foursome around in four hours you are not doing bad. If you are keeping up with the people in front, you are doing all you can!

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

Doesn't bother me in the slightest... as long as you're quick enough during the round to not slow anything up and most importantly not 'blowing up' after any shot.

The way I feel... those that consistently shoot over 80 shouldn't be getting upset about 99% of their bad shots.  (I am included in this side of the coin).  Even the pros make bad shots, and they know exactly what they are doing.  Us mere mortals have so many inconsistencies in our swings, stance, grip, alignment, etc that we are almost guaranteed to make more than a few bad swings throughout a round.

Disclaimer: I've said this aloud many times and in written form here... but I have also been the guy that blows up.  I may be in the future as well... I simply say these things and write them in these forums as part of my mental game/mindset practice to keep this portion of the game under control by constantly reminding myself.

Even par through 9 is my best.  I don't even want to think about what was my worst.

You can take a couple quick practice swings in less than 5 seconds......if that helps you, go for it. What I think bothers most people is the person that take 2-3 LONG practice swings where you addressing the imaginary ball, doing a few Ernie Els wiggles, waggles, etc., then stepping up and duffing it 5 yards. That can get taxing!

In my experience, what really adds to the list of slow play is 2 main things. 1) Looking for a ball for WAY too long and 2) not being ready to hit when you are up. You can be off to the side, visualizing your shot, taking some practice swings, all that stuff, at the SAME TIME that your playing partners are hitting their shots. That way, soon as their ball is in the air, you are ready to walk up to your ball and knock it closer! I guess you could throw in people who take 2-3 tee shots, but this is usually pretty obvious and doesn't fly at all when a group is waiting on you and the fairway is open.

All of this can go both ways too though......I have been at places where the stuck up "members" expect everyone to play a round in 3 hours, never socialize with anyone in the group (cause that costs time!!) and basically do everything they can to make the golfing experience the LEAST amount of fun as possible. Being a terribly slow player is not good.......but being an un-realistic playing time nazi is just as annoying. Both could learn a lot from each other.

scooter not sure where you live but if in the LA area you are always welcome to play with us. Most of the time it is me, my son and father in law, we hack but have fun, play our own game not anyone else. Happy to hear you love the game enjoy!

Agreed.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Originally Posted by RonTheSavage

Im with you here my practice swing is more for trying to stay loose.

+2.  Not only are practice swings a waste of time, but I don't feel like they do me any good (on full swings). The only time i take them is on pitches and chips because it's all about feel.

Re the op's question, no problem at all with high cappers/bad golfers as a group.  my big problem is that a lot of players who fit in that category seem to be obsessed with one rule...order of play.  It takes every ounce of restraint I can muster to not hit at the guy in front of me who i've watched hack his way across multiple holes, and is now waiting for the goddamn green to clear from 220 yards out.  The biggest offenders in LA tend to be the foreigners, who are also the same group who will spend 5+ mins searching for a ball that is clearly gone.

Long story short, if you keep up, it doesn't matter if you shoot 150.

I usually do take practice swings. Not full swings, just a nice gentle swing to get a feel for everything. I always do my practice swings while the others in my group are playing their shots, so it literally doesn't add any time unless I am away.

R7

Edge 3-SW with Apex4 Steel shafts

Burner 2.0 AW

Putter

Street Shoes

Glove

Note: This thread is 3960 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!