• Announcements

    • iacas

      Introducing TST "Clubs!"   08/28/2017

      No, we're not getting into the equipment business, but we do have "clubs" here on TST now. Groups. Check them out here:
Sign in to follow this  
Scooter212

Terrible golfer, but loving the game, do I bother you good golfers?

Recommended Posts

Scooter212    0

I looked at a few threads, pace of play coming to mind mostly.
I am terrible at this game, have not actually played a course in 3 years, but have started getting my clubs out again at the driving range. Finally I can hit a drive straight at least once in every 5 or 6 or so shots.
Anyway, I was looking at the "pace of play" thread, and got to thinking, does my very poor swing and just horrible game bother people?? I can play through relatively quick, around 4 hours or less, obviously depending on who I play with. Scores are low tho, I don't think I have hit under 110 yet, so I have more to learn for sure.
So pro's, do I bother you at the course, or am I good to go?

Cheers

Scooter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sign up (or log in) today! It's free (and you won't see this ad anymore)!

Sign up (or log in) today! It's free (and you won't see this ad anymore)!

Stretch    392

Play any way you like, as long as you play quickly. Don't worry about your game. Everyone else is too wrapped up in their own to pay much attention. Enjoy yourself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Shorty    567

As long as you are ready to play when it's your turn and don't have ball searches on every hole you're fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MacDutch    99

Within 4 hours is ok. We all started as diggers not able to hit it twice in a row. I enjoy playing with beginners as long as they keep up the pace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

mtsalmela80    27

If you are playing in 4 hours or less with a group then you are not playing slow, there is no reason for you to bother anyone.

That's a fast round by today's standards.

I would rather play with a 200 handicap good pace player than some Big Break wanna-be single digit that takes 10 minutes a shot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Russtopher    1

I'm really glad this thread started, as I've been working up the nerve to head to a course on my own for the first time. My wife bought me a gift card for a few rounds to the course down the street from us, I've been wanting to actually get out and play instead of hitting buckets at the range. That's pretty much all I've been doing since starting to play last summer, save for some outings with friends. I've been worried about not being able to keep up with folks I get partnered with, making some gigantic breach of etiquette, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

krupa    187

I just started playing this spring and last night got out last night for the first time on my own to play nine holes.  There was a twosome (guy and wife/girlfriend) in front of me and another single behind me.  After lurking around these forums I had "pace of play" paranoia and rushed my first few holes.  After a while, I realized two things.  First, I was waiting for the twosome in front of me so my pace was just fine as it was and second, if my pace was really bad, the guy behind me would/should have said something.  As it turns out, I let the guy play through while I was looking for a ball in tall grass and we ended up playing the last hole together.  He was a super nice guy and now I wish I had just asked if he wanted to play together from the beginning.


So, moral of the story... don't dawdle but don't rush either, don't worry about the people behind you, and have fun (that's why you're playing the game, right?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

cart7    1

You're playing under 4 hours for a round?

You can play in front of me anytime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

avmech    2
Originally Posted by mtsalmela80

I would rather play with a 200 handicap good pace player than some Big Break wanna-be single digit that takes 10 minutes a shot.

Fully agree with this, hell, we all started this way.  Also, don't hesitate to pick up your ball if need be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

tomvk77    10
Originally Posted by mtsalmela80

If you are playing in 4 hours or less with a group then you are not playing slow, there is no reason for you to bother anyone.

That's a fast round by today's standards.

I would rather play with a 200 handicap good pace player than some Big Break wanna-be single digit that takes 10 minutes a shot.

nuff said

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fourputt    922
Originally Posted by Scooter212

I looked at a few threads, pace of play coming to mind mostly.

I am terrible at this game, have not actually played a course in 3 years, but have started getting my clubs out again at the driving range. Finally I can hit a drive straight at least once in every 5 or 6 or so shots.

Anyway, I was looking at the "pace of play" thread, and got to thinking, does my very poor swing and just horrible game bother people?? I can play through relatively quick, around 4 hours or less, obviously depending on who I play with. Scores are low tho, I don't think I have hit under 110 yet, so I have more to learn for sure.

So pro's, do I bother you at the course, or am I good to go?

Cheers

Scooter.

Not a problem Scooter.  One of the regulars I play with back in Colorado shoots consistently in the high 90's, but he doesn't screw around.  He plays quickly when he's up, he even plays by the rules.  He has good etiquette - he doesn't walk on other players' putting line, doesn't interrupt one's backswing, repairs ball marks even though he doesn't make one of his own that often, etc.  He's always happy on the course.  In all he's a good guy to play with.

We all started at the beginning in this game, and those who are unwilling to accept that people like you are just at the point we were once at are just snobs.  I enjoy playing with relative beginners, because it gives me a chance to help them over that first speed bump of learning good etiquette and conduct on the the course.  Playing skill and rules knowledge can come later, but knowing good conduct and playing without delay is what will get you accepted in just about any fourball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am a fellow hacker who loves the game - I only started breaking 100 this year but I've been playing for 4.  Just a talentless hack.

I show up to the course as a single all the time . .my job lets me sneak out mid-day wheras most of my friend's can't do that.  I have been paired up with literally hundreds of strangers of varying ability and not once has my lack of golf skill annoyed anybody.

The trick, I find, is to be friendly, have fun and keep up with your group.  These days, if I'm playing well I don't need to do much to keep up . .but in the past I would take measures such as not looking for lost balls, picking up my ball and advancing it to the spot where I wished I would've hit it . .etc.

I've exchanged numbers with more than a few single digit type players who are just grateful to find a playing partner that is available mid-week, is generally a nice guy and who plays fast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

jobuddha    0

As long as pace of play is good, no one should care how good or bad you are.  My normal foursome (son, dad and Father-in-law)  played in a little over 3 hours a week ago and 2 people were both over 100 (names withheld to protect the innocent).  Like some have said, most people would rather play with a total hack that can play at a good pace of play than a scratch player that slows everyone down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yukari    88

Hear, hear!!!

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Not a problem Scooter.  One of the regulars I play with back in Colorado shoots consistently in the high 90's, but he doesn't screw around.  He plays quickly when he's up, he even plays by the rules.  He has good etiquette - he doesn't walk on other players' putting line, doesn't interrupt one's backswing, repairs ball marks even though he doesn't make one of his own that often, etc.  He's always happy on the course.  In all he's a good guy to play with.

We all started at the beginning in this game, and those who are unwilling to accept that people like you are just at the point we were once at are just snobs.  I enjoy playing with relative beginners, because it gives me a chance to help them over that first speed bump of learning good etiquette and conduct on the the course.  Playing skill and rules knowledge can come later, but knowing good conduct and playing without delay is what will get you accepted in just about any fourball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

chriskzoo    9

The only thing that bothers me about bad golfers is when they insist of taking multiple practice swings before every shot because they know they are not good and somehow think the practice swing will help them.  That slows down play more than anything and it probably detrimental by the fact that it makes them constantly think about why they are so bad.

F*** the practice swings - when it's your turn, step up there and hit it - I guarantee you'll think less about what you're doing and play better.  What I can't stand is this:

2 Practice swings, hit it 50 yards

2 Practice swings, shank it

2 Practice swings, duff it 5 yards

2 Practice swings....

JUST HIT THE BALL!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RayG    70
Someone mentioned "if you play under four hours, etc....". If you play at ANY local PUBLIC course here in the NY/LI area then you will be persona non grata, because you would be bullying your way through everyone out there. I would say as long as you keep up with the PACE OF THE DAY- 4hrs, 4.5 or whatever, that's fine. You can't expect to zip around ANY course around here on a busy day in 4 hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2017 TST Partners

    Talamore Golf Resort
    PING Golf
    FlightScope Mevo
    Mission Belt
    Snell Golf
    PitchFix USA
  • Posts

    • This I really agree with.  Really   As it happens I went for the trackman certified guy.  Thanks for the all the thoughts, At lot of them made a lot of sense. Not sure I really got an answer into the fundamental question -How do you know if the advice you are being given is just plain wrong? I, for one, don't want to waste a couple of months being shown the wrong path.  It's a difficult game and weeding out the good advice from the bad is tricky.  The best I've found is to look at how an instructor fixes a "problem"  If they talk about fixing the movements that lead up to the problem, the previous links in the chain, then they get more points.  If they just fix the problem without referring to anything else, then they lose points with me.   Thanks for the help all. Now to get to the range again!  
    • Hi, just looking for some advice/ experiences from other members. My long irons are on the naughty step again and the 4 hybrid is back in the bag. I want to take out the long light graphite shaft and replace it with a steel shaft. I can't afford to buy a new shaft as I know people will tell me to go for the kbs hybrid shaft. Im doing the work myself on my old adams idea pro and the plan is to use one of a few shafts I have from previous experiments. My choices are a dg s300, dg sl r300 or taking the ping AWT reg flex shaft from my ping 4 iron. Anybody had good or bad results using any of these shafts in hybrids? The reason there is a stiff flex option in there is I have always used stiff graphite in hybrids before as I always lose the ball right with reg flex. I play reg steel shafts in my irons and I plan on building this hybrid to play at 4 iron length.  Any words of wisdom appreciated. Cheers.
    • Matt, Reading your post feels like you are expecting a bad result on the course. Don't focus on the expectation of a bad result. You will get a bad result. Listen to Erik's advice and clear everything else out. Be the ball Danny. Be the ball.
    • I voted 2, but for me what other golfers are doing doesn't really bother me while I'm playing.   But I play with several people that can hear a dog fart from 4 fairways over that will distract them, and they will get all kinds of upset if you are in their peripheral vision on the green.
    • nothing in this world is given, you have to earn it or sell it. If they don't have the market share or cash they want it is on them to change it. it is totally possible they can't change, possibly the product just isn't good enough to the masses to generate the $'s...possibly they do a poor job of marketing it...the WNBA says the same thing, the Womens professional fastpitch league is watched by few, womens college sports are watched by few, the ladies soccer league fell apart.... This might be a shocking and slanderous statement to some...maybe as a gender males prefer sports more then females and quite possibly those same males prefer to watch men play those sports...just saying. The numbers are what they are. 
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Blog Entries

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Nevsteve
      Nevsteve
      (58 years old)
    2. Pab4141
      Pab4141
      (24 years old)
    3. rdpoffenberger
      rdpoffenberger
      (32 years old)
    4. stothemc
      stothemc
      (34 years old)
  • Get Great Gear with Amazon