IGNORED

Range Finders

clutchshot
Note: This thread is 3650 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Respectfully disagree ---> to BuckeyeNut's comment below.

I'll make an argument that GPS is for hackers.....because GPS doesn't know where the pin is...........

When I first read it, it sounded like a baiting comment without any qualifying/supporting argument.   I chucked it as another arrogant low capper's comment on those of us who picked up golf later in life and are struggling with it.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I first read it, it sounded like a baiting comment without any qualifying/supporting argument.   I chucked it as another arrogant low capper's comment on those of us who picked up golf later in life and are struggling with it.

I didn't and he's right. Can't speak for anyone else but I don't need to know the distance on the number because I can't hit shots with that much accuracy. It's not a dis as much as reality. I tend to play safety golf, more about avoiding trouble than attacking flags. Guys playing to a 2 are taking everything into consideration. May not even be flying a ball to the green but knowing that landing it 10 yds short it going to produce some roll out because of the course design. I don't doubt that it's beneficial for higher handicap guys to know exact numbers but you still have to consider your abilities.

Dave :-)

Just curious about that one - do you have to give the watch any info.  Like maybe what hole you are on or something?  Or does it just kind of follow you around the course and it knows which green you want?  I think that is why I now prefer not to use the GPS app - you have to keep letting it know where you are on the course.

When you first start it up it spends a minute or so locating satellites then suggests using info on the nearest golf course, so the only time a choice is needed there is if the course has more than 18 holes available, then you select a combo of two available 9s (I have real limited experience with this, usually just say Yes, use the suggested course.) By default it starts you out on hole #1 but you can cycle up to another hole if needed clicking a button. The GPS seems real good about keeping track of where you are and normally doesn't need any attention as you move from one hole to the next. I expect moving away from one green and along toward the next triggers the change. Honestly, I don't look at it much when I am around the green, but it always seems to be with me when I get to the next tee.

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

No, they have different algorithms. Hunting ones often assume they'll be used in forests. Golf ones assume they'll be used in more open spaces.

Anyone purchase a hunting rangefinder, versus a golf specific one? Technically the same thing I'd imagine.

I played today, and thinking of this question, brought my Bushnell hunting rangefinder with me to test alongside my Leupold GX1.  I was surprised.....

....the Bushnell picked up the flag as quickly as the Leupold and all yardages were within a yard or two of each other.   The flag-sticks on this course had prisms in them, so I really expected the golf specific Leupold to do a better job.  It really didn't.

Huh.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Pretty much sums up what I've been reading in my researching... I'd imagine same companies finders use fairly similar tech, just renamed to better suit each use... and golf tends to fetch more money. [quote name="David in FL" url="/t/70288/range-finders/30#post_904909"] I played today, and thinking of this question, brought my Bushnell hunting rangefinder with me to test alongside my Leupold GX1.  I was surprised..... ....the Bushnell picked up the flag as quickly as the Leupold and all yardages were within a yard or two of each other.   The flag-sticks on this course had prisms in them, so I really expected the golf specific Leupold to do a better job.  It really didn't. Huh. [/quote]

If you want the Boo W model go with the hunting model. I haven't seen the camo anywhere else. :-P

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I use a Leupold GX1, mainly because it is made locally. I don't know anymore how many strokes it saves me because I have gotten used to it, but when I started using it, I would say two per side.

I works from long distances in that you can't always tell if the pin is in front or back. On a deep green it could be + or - one club from the center. In close, it's even more important if you have calibrated your pitching game to + or - five yards.

What it really does is let you know what you have to do to get the ball pin-high, a skill that makes golf really easy. I wouldn't play without one, and I have learned how to take my readings without slowing down the group.

• 4 months later...
So funny ending to this... My GF got me the new Bushnell Jolt for Christmas, guess I'll be using a rangefinder after all, lol. I'll let you know how I like it once the season begins.

So funny ending to this... My GF got me the new Bushnell Jolt for Christmas, guess I'll be using a rangefinder after all, lol. I'll let you know how I like it once the season begins.

Hang on to her, she's a keeper! :beer:

In David's bag....

I got a Bushnell Z6 for Christmas myself and can't wait for better weather to get here so I can use it on the course. I've taken it to the range a few times to check their yardage measurements and it works great. I'm pretty happy with it.

What do the pros use? I know Ricky Fowler uses Bushnell.... Never see them using them when playing in a tournament though...

I would say that depends.  If they are sponsored by Callaway, they probably use the Callaway.  It is just personal choice for them just like for us.

The reason you don't see Ricky Fowler or any other pro using them in a tournament....they are not allowed in tournament play by the PGA, which most tournaments are governed by...at least at this time.

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

• 2 months later...

I would say that depends.  If they are sponsored by Callaway, they probably use the Callaway.  It is just personal choice for them just like for us.

The reason you don't see Ricky Fowler or any other pro using them in a tournament....they are not allowed in tournament play by the PGA, which most tournaments are governed by...at least at this time.

And I hope the PGA sticks to their guns on this. I don't want to spend my time watching guys range find the distance.

So all my big golf friends say I have to use a range finder when playing golf.

I guess I have always enjoyed the feeling of grabbing the right club for the right shot based on my own judgement, just seems like part of the game to me. I get I could hit more greens if I used one, but still....

I'll leave it to the experts of this site.... You guys absolutely always use ranger finders?

Does this mean that you just look at the flag and guess?

Or do you use on course yardage markers?  If so then you aren't really doing anything that much different from those of us who use a laser or GPS.  The difference being that I don't have to sometimes search for a plaque or sprinkler head.  I just get to the ball, look at my GPS, and go.  On my home course I rarely need the GPS because the course is so well marked that it's visible on Google Earth.  Most courses aren't that clearly or accurately marked, so I use my GPS when I play elsewhere, and it saves me a lot of time and anxiety.

Edit:  Didn't notice that this was an update... oops. :~(

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

And I hope the PGA sticks to their guns on this. I don't want to spend my time watching guys range find the distance.

You already do.....

In David's bag....

The pros don't have a need to use range finders.  Their caddies have books that can tell you just about any yardage you could want.  They also know how far on the pin is and how far from either side of the green as well as green size front to back, side to side.  So, when you see them talking to their caddies before a shot, they are finding the distance (most of which was already gained by the caddie using a range finder to supplement the yardage books they use.

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

Does this mean that you just look at the flag and guess?   Or do you use on course yardage markers?  If so then you aren't really doing anything that much different from those of us who use a laser or GPS.  The difference being that I don't have to sometimes search for a plaque or sprinkler head.  I just get to the ball, look at my GPS, and go.  On my home course I rarely need the GPS because the course is so well marked that it's visible on Google Earth.  Most courses aren't that clearly or accurately marked, so I use my GPS when I play elsewhere, and it saves me a lot of time and anxiety. Edit:  Didn't notice that this was an update... oops. :~(

Yeah, I now am using rangefinder and hitting a lot more greens, I would say guessing was not as fun as I once thought...lol. Regarding PGA players not using them: I don't really have a problem with perhaps caddies shooting distances real quick, don't see what difference it would make.

I like these GPS versus Laser Range finder discussions and find interesting others' experiences with them.   I usually just read however and not comment as I see the entire argument as a Ford/Chevy argument for which there is no one correct answer.  I use a GPS (Sky Caddie) myself and like it a lot.   It certainly is helpful when on courses I am not familiar with and/or in places on courses I am not familiar with.  I like the bird's eye view of the course and the ability to place the cursor in places of interest (like distance to clear a hazard or distance to the dog leg, etc.) and don't find the +/- 1 meter (metre for my Irish buddy) distance error a problem for me.   But I play with a good friend who used to have a GPS but changed over to a laser and he likes and prefers it because it measures distance to the flag with less error than the GPS.  So it is just a preference and one type of range finder isn't better than the other for everyone.  There are times when there isn't a line of sight to some point of interest and my friend asks me what I have and there are times when I would like a more accurate answer than the GPS and ask for a laser range.  But I am not switching and neither is my friend is keeping his laser he tells me.

Butch

Note: This thread is 3650 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!