IGNORED

Ogio vs Sun Mountain

Note:Β This thread is 3641 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Oh I agree wholeheartedly....the entire thread is opinionated by design. It's nice to get other's perspectives when talking golf equipment. A good sack is very important....especially if you hoof it. Funny you mentioned the legs because my first stand bag was a Nike and the legs completely fold outward when you try to retract them.....I mean it looks pretty gangster and all but the mechanism broke after a couple of rounds.

While I definitely fall on the SM side of the Ogio vs. Sun Mountain argument, another great bag to consider if you want a stand bag is a PING. We used the Hoofer 2 model when I was in high school and it was awesome. A few years back I had a newer version of the Hoofer (can't remember the exact model) and IΒ really liked that one as well. I love the way their dual straps work as well as their leg mechanism. The only reason I stopped using it is because I'm a bit weird and didn't like having a PING bag without any PING clubs. I know that's kind of weird, but whatever… Using SM (or Ogio) bags I don't have to worry about that because they don't make clubs.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment:Β 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5Β°) Β· PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15Β° and 21Β°)Β Β· PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22Β°, 25Β°, and 28Β°) Β· PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) Β·Β Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50Β°, 55Β°, 60Β°) Β·Β Edel Classic BladeΒ Putter (32") Β· Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour Β· Pinned Prism RangefinderΒ Β· Star Grips Β· Flightscope Mevo Β· TRUE Linkswear Shoes Β·Β Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
AnalyzrΒ Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm considering a bag purchase and am looking at the Ogio Grom vs. the Sun Mountain Four 5 (2013 models).Β  I like some of the features on the Ogio, like the ball silo and ziperless pocket, but see that the SM is significantly lighter.

So, does 2 1/2 pounds make that big a difference over 18 holes (I'm a big guy), and how do these two particular models stack up?

I'm considering a bag purchase and am looking at the Ogio Grom vs. the Sun Mountain Four 5 (2013 models).Β  I like some of the features on the Ogio, like the ball silo and ziperless pocket, but see that the SM is significantly lighter. So, does 2 1/2 pounds make that big a difference over 18 holes (I'm a big guy), and how do these two particular models stack up?

i would bet 2.5 lbs would be very noticeable, especially if you walk, but I don't really know for sure. And I'm sure the quality if each is excellent, it's just a matter of whether or not you like the straps and stand.

i would bet 2.5 lbs would be very noticeable, especially if you walk, but I don't really know for sure. And I'm sure the quality if each is excellent, it's just a matter of whether or not you like the straps and stand.

Someone ( @Clambake IIRC) calculated it out a few years ago, and the change turned out to be pretty much negligible (after we realized that the calories we talk about with food are actually kilocalories, so 1000 actual calories). EDIT: http://thesandtrap.com/t/53325/new-bag-suggestions/0_30#post_648761 Of course, many assumptions had to be made, and calories burned and how your muscles feel after walking 5 miles aren't exactly proportionally correlated.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3Β |Β 15ΒΊ 3-Wood: Ping G410 |Β 17ΒΊ 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 |Β 19ΒΊ 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo |Β 54ΒΊ SW, 60ΒΊ LW: Titleist Vokey SM8Β |Β Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I'm considering a bag purchase and am looking at the Ogio Grom vs. the Sun Mountain Four 5 (2013 models).Β  I like some of the features on the Ogio, like the ball silo and ziperless pocket, but see that the SM is significantly lighter.

So, does 2 1/2 pounds make that big a difference over 18 holes (I'm a big guy), and how do these two particular models stack up?

I'm a middle aged guy, and when I walk, I don't want extra weight over fire hours of walking. I go as light as possible in a well built bag. Some days, you feel great and can haul anything. On other days, you want a break. Buy a bag for the day you need a break.

I've owned an SM 3.5 DLX for 2 seasons now. Before that, I had a 3.5 with the hip belt for five years. It still sits with my extra clubs, ready to go.

Remember, the issue with the Four 5, or any bagΒ with individual placementΒ for each club is that it is limiting. I like to take training aids, extra clubs to demo, etc, and I can easily do that with my SM 3.5; not so with a Four 5 or a cart bag with pockets for each club.

It may seem like a good idea, and it does appeal to an individual's sense of order, but it's limiting.

Good luck.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22Β HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7Β Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Β 

I'm probably being overly anal / OCD, but the main reason I'm looking for a new bag is that I want one that has individual club slots.Β  I don't like the idea of the clubs banging together that much.Β  I should probably just keep the 2nd hand one I've been using...

I did go look at them today and after feeling how much heavier the Grom was I decided to get the Four 5, but tags will stay on for a while while I determine if ANY bag is a smart move.

The one reason that I prefer Sun Mountain is their warranty service. They have a lifetime warranty that is supposed to be limited, but really hasn't been in my experience.

My bag had broken two things on it, both of which were completely my fault (tried to force a zipper repeatedly, the fabric handle tore off as well as breaking the top rim of the bag by forgetting to strap it into the cart) and they replaced them both. Another bag has had its strap break twice, again caused by me alone, and they've replaced it each time with no questions asked. The only cost for all of these fixes is the price to ship it to them, and they pay for the return shipping.

A word of caution against individual slots for clubs: Just because each club has a slot at the top doesn't mean that all the grips are separated. You will still have the occasional issue where that club just doesn't seem to want to seat itself completely into the bag. My advice would be to cut a small tube large enough to slide the club into for each club to the length of the bag and slide those into the slots BEFORE you pack the bag full of other items. This makes it easier and quicker to replace a club into your bag since you never have to worry about getting the club to go all the way down again if you like to carry rain gear in the side pockets. I've been burned in the rain before in a tournament and always carry the gear for it since, but it can squish the grips together occasionally which rubs them as you slide them in or out.

I had an Ogio Vaporlite for years and it was great quality. The sole reason I stopped using it was because I started pushing a trolley so I got an Ogio Assassin which was equally fantastic. I was then offered a "too good to be true" price on a Sun Mountain Three 5 and as I wanted to start getting fit and carrying my clubs I gave it a go and that too was excellent. I really don't see one being that much better than the other in terms of manufacturer so it's down to personal choice.

The one single thing I preferred about the Vaporlite was the Woode organiser which I absolutely loved compared to the bizarre layout on the Assassin.

SWING DNA
Speed [77]Β TempoΒ [5]Β ToeDown [5]Β KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5Β° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305Β [:-P]

I had an Ogio Vaporlite for years and it was great quality. The sole reason I stopped using it was because I started pushing a trolley so I got an Ogio Assassin which was equally fantastic. I was then offered a "too good to be true" price on a Sun Mountain Three 5 and as I wanted to start getting fit and carrying my clubs I gave it a go and that too was excellent. I really don't see one being that much better than the other in terms of manufacturer so it's down to personal choice.

The one single thing I preferred about the Vaporlite was the Woode organiser which I absolutely loved compared to the bizarre layout on the Assassin.

Clearly I spend way too much time on here, I clearly remember your thread from a few years ago about the best way to load the Woode.

Yours in earnest,Β Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks:Β :cleveland:Β 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5* Β :tmade:Β RBZ HL 3wΒ Β :nickent:Β 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H Β :callaway:Β X-22 5-AW Β :nike:SV tour 56* SWΒ :mizuno:Β MP-T11 60* LWΒ :bridgestone:Β customized TD-03 putterΒ :tmade:Penta TP3 Β Β :aimpoint:

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon

Clearly I spend way too much time on here, I clearly remember your thread from a few years ago about the best way to load the Woode.

Clearly I did too if talking about the best way to organise a golf bag was the best I could come up with. ;)

SWING DNA
Speed [77]Β TempoΒ [5]Β ToeDown [5]Β KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5Β° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305Β [:-P]

Clearly I did too if talking about the best way to organise a golf bag was the best I could come up with. ;)

:-P

Yours in earnest,Β Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks:Β :cleveland:Β 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5* Β :tmade:Β RBZ HL 3wΒ Β :nickent:Β 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H Β :callaway:Β X-22 5-AW Β :nike:SV tour 56* SWΒ :mizuno:Β MP-T11 60* LWΒ :bridgestone:Β customized TD-03 putterΒ :tmade:Penta TP3 Β Β :aimpoint:

I'm probably being overly anal / OCD, but the main reason I'm looking for a new bag is that I want one that has individual club slots.Β  I don't like the idea of the clubs banging together that much.Β  I should probably just keep the 2nd hand one I've been using... I did go look at them today and after feeling how much heavier the Grom was I decided to get the Four 5, but tags will stay on for a while while I determine if ANY bag is a smart move.

Invest in some quality neoprene iron head covers playa. It's all the rage lately and eliminates any and all bag chatter instantaneously.

In the :ogio: Cart Bag :cleve: Launcher 9.5Β° Stiff :dunlop: 15Β° 3W Stiff :wilson_staff: D100 / 19 & 22Β° Hybrids Stiff :adams: CB3 Irons 4-GW Steel :adams: A7OS 54.5Β° SW :nike: 60/06 V Red LW :cobra: 35" Face Balanced Mallet Putter

Quote:

Originally Posted by purple drank

Invest in some quality neoprene iron head covers playa. It's all the rage lately and eliminates any and all bag chatter instantaneously.

I looked into those when I first picked up my clubs this summer, but I didn't really see anyone else using them so I thought maybe they were just a gimmick.

They're great for traveling to protect the clubs, or to put over clean irons in your car trunk.

But on the course, once you use a club, it's best to put them in a pocket in your bag - you don't want to cover an iron that is moist or might have dirt.

• Upvote 1

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22Β HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7Β Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Β 

They're great for traveling to protect the clubs, or to put over clean irons in your car trunk. But on the course, once you use a club, it's best to put them in a pocket in your bag - you don't want to cover an iron that is moist or might have dirt.

Loll...yeah it takes an entire 3 seconds to wipe your blade slide the neoprene cover back onto the iron head and place your stick back into the bag....chatter really dings up expensive, soft 8620 steel or 431 steel that goes into high end irons. Since you don't see them at any tracks you play then you must be playing putt putt golf....I see them on almost everyones set these days. What are you blind Steve Guthrie??

In the :ogio: Cart Bag :cleve: Launcher 9.5Β° Stiff :dunlop: 15Β° 3W Stiff :wilson_staff: D100 / 19 & 22Β° Hybrids Stiff :adams: CB3 Irons 4-GW Steel :adams: A7OS 54.5Β° SW :nike: 60/06 V Red LW :cobra: 35" Face Balanced Mallet Putter

<----------If you click over here on my avatar you can enlarge....you'll notice neoprene on all 15 sticks except putter and 3w...I'm waiting for a customized Seahawk headcover. Anyways, I got the Nike towel, groove cleaner/sharpener, and 10 way full length dividers in this sweet Ogio cart bag. All I'm saying is that golf clubs are an investment.....treat them with care and they'll last longer and add years of enjoyment to your lives. I'm out......At least Mr. D knows what's up. :beer:

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know who makes it, but I can assure you the Titleist Lightweight cart bag is the worst bag I've ever purchased. Put up with it for less than a year before making a change...cheap, cheap, cheap.

Note:Β This thread is 3641 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!