IGNORED

Spieth v McIlroy - The Millenials' Tiger v Phil?

Gunther
Note: This thread is 3200 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

exactly, no offense to the OP, but this discussion is way too early for both Jordan and Rory..

None taken. I don't believe either are the next Tiger. I was commenting more about their rivalry being potentially the next gen's Tiger-Phil. They'll compete in Ryder Cups on opposite sides, I believe will compete for many majors, maybe head to head, and both are just so much fun to watch. Neither will get to double-digit majors, let alone 14 but this rivalry could be great for a long time.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Starting to get a little worried about Rory. Closing in on two years since his last PGA win and he has not sniffed a major. The "equipment excuse" honeymoon is over. I don't know whether the pressure is getting to him, he's not putting in the practice time or what but he is not producing anywhere near the results any of us expected. I know he's close to his caddie but it might be time for a change there and maybe a swing/putting coach, something I don't believe he has. I mean look what making a caddie change has done to Adam Scott.

Starting to get a little worried about Rory. Closing in on two years since his last PGA win and he has not sniffed a major. The "equipment excuse" honeymoon is over. I don't know whether the pressure is getting to him, he's not putting in the practice time or what but he is not producing anywhere near the results any of us expected. I know he's close to his caddie but it might be time for a change there and maybe a swing/putting coach, something I don't believe he has. I mean look what making a caddie change has done to Adam Scott.

Adam also benefited greatly by being able to putt, he  Not to take anything away from Stevie's experience with many of the big tourney courses. But Adam leaped up the leaderboard in a few short years when he adopted the broom putter.

• 11 months later...
#1 v. #2. Game on.
  • Upvote 1

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

My biggest concern is that the golf world/sports world has prematurely placed Spieth on a pedestal and the heir apparent to King Tiger.....not sure that will happen (having a dominating player like TW) for possibly several generations of pro golfers. I think Tom Weiskopf had to deal with this in Jack's days.....the game is always looking for the next great one.

I think we need to slow down this Jordan train. He has gotten over the mental hump of winning a major. Some guys disappear after winning majors. I don't expect that to happen to Jordan Spieth but let's not proclaim him as the next rival to (fill in the blank) until we see more...

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Yeah, I agree...it's too early to anoint him the next Jack Nicklaus. That being said, the fact he's been as consistent as he has been since he came on the scene and given he really has good parents and people looking after him, there's a better chance than not of this kid really being a force in the future. Not saying he's going to win 14 majors, but I do think he'll at least contend in 1 or 2 more this year and some more next year and we'll go from there. I also think he's going to rack up a lot of PGA wins. He plays a lot, he seems to enjoy his workload and he contends more weeks than not.

I think Jordan is going be more like Phil whereas Rory is more like Tiger. Tiger and Rory are explosive and bombers off the tee. You get the wild fist pumps out of them and the club throws into the water. Jordan and Phil are more animated guys and friendly and can please a crowd. More smiles and they're not afraid to take risks. You also see that real courteous side out of both of them.

Time will tell, but best part of this going forward for the next decade or so is how different their games are.    One is a modern power game, other is a throwback strategy game (even Brandel made this analogy).    Some courses favor one over the other, but it sure will be an interesting to see how this all plays out over time ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

My biggest concern is that the golf world/sports world has prematurely placed Spieth on a pedestal and the heir apparent to King Tiger.....not sure that will happen (having a dominating player like TW) for possibly several generations of pro golfers. I think Tom Weiskopf had to deal with this in Jack's days.....the game is always looking for the next great one.

Ton Weiskopf was a relative peer to Jack Nicklaus and stated numerous times that he was totally intimidated by Jack, and Jack knew it. Killed his career (that, and booze). But Spieth doesn't have that baggage and appears supremely confident in his abilities. There is always going to be coronations of "the next one" but when guys like Garcia and Fowler had the same opportunity, they showed skill but they couldn't get over the "Major" hump at that young age. Even Phil was anointed but Phil, with his five Majors, got a late start and didn't win a Major until he was in his mid- 30's, too late to challenge legacies. Rory and Jordan look like the real deal. They are both going to win a lot of Majors, we'll just have to see how far they can take it. #1 and #2 as we speak. It's their time.

Bill M

Jordan as the Phil to Rory's Tiger isn't a very apt comparison; Jordan's game is a full 180 degrees away from Phil's; he's more like a better-off-the-tee Luke Donald. In the long term, the concern with Jordan will be whether his B-game can be enough to contend for tournament wins or maintain his place at the top of the world ranking and tour standings. Prime Tiger and Phil didn't need to play their absolute best to contend for titles; neither does Rory, in my opinion. When Donald had his run in 2011, it propelled him to number one in the world, but he's since fallen well back in the rankings. After the Players Championship last year, Jordan didn't finish better than seventh in any event until after the FedEx Cup playoffs. That kind of extended period of mediocrity will not help him surpass Rory if it becomes a habit.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Jordan as the Phil to Rory's Tiger isn't a very apt comparison; Jordan's game is a full 180 degrees away from Phil's. He's more like a better-off-the-tee Luke Donald.

IMO Spieth has the potential to win just as much as Rory does.  He's proven he can win a Major and he's contended most of the season, missing only one cut and finishing in the Top 10 8 times out of 11 tournaments including 3 wins.

He lacks a bit of distance but at 21 he has time to add some core strength and gain another 10 - 20 yards off the tee.

Joe Paradiso

So this time next year Spieth bulked up Rory style or no?

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

So this time next year Spieth bulked up Rory style or no?

Rory didn't bulk up over the course of a year and Spieth won't either, give the kid a few years.

Joe Paradiso

Will the golf media never learn? I'm not ready to talk about a Rory/Jordan rivalry. I've only just recently started thinking Rory could be for real. Jordan is a great player, obviously but he has a lot more to show me before I start thinking of him in terms of Hogan, Nicklaus, Woods and the rest. When Louis Oosthuizen won the open in dominating fashion in 2010 - I was saying - here's the next big deal. He's got a picture perfect swing and he just stomped the field in the open championship winning by 7 strokes! Didn't happen. Not that Louis isn't a phenomenal talent.

Rory didn't bulk up over the course of a year and Spieth won't either, give the kid a few years.

I don't think Jordan has much growing into his body left compared to Rory at 21. The game has seen many great players wreck their games trying to gain yards off the tee they really didn't need; Jordan shouldn't feel as though he has to make drastic changes to his body or his swing to keep up with the longer hitters. Spieth's is a precision game; his big hurdle is what he will be able to do on the days that sharpness he's shown so far in 2015 isn't there. Tiger at his best could scramble and putt to victory even when his full swing lost all accuracy; Phil can go on months-long slumps, yet turn everything around with a gambling shot in a big-time situation; if Rory's not feeling his A-game, he just starts overpowering courses on brute strength alone. The best players always have a Plan B; I don't know what Jordan's is yet.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

IMO Spieth has the potential to win just as much as Rory does.  He's proven he can win a Major and he's contended most of the season, missing only one cut and finishing in the Top 10 8 times out of 11 tournaments including 3 wins. He lacks a bit of distance but at 21 he has time to add some core strength and gain another 10 - 20 yards off the tee.

If I remember correctly, Jordan isn't a slouch when it comes to driving distance. I think he's above Pga tour average in the 290+ range.

• 1 month later...

Most 1st- and 2nd-place finishes before age 22 on PGA Tour since 1970:

1. Spieth, 11

2. Tiger, 7

3. Sergio, 6

4. B. Clampett, 5

5. Fowler, 3

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

Note: This thread is 3200 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!