IGNORED

Windy Golf

boogielicious
Note: This thread is 3652 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

San Antonio was at least 4 hours north of where I was living...

December it was still 80 outside some days.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Oh man, I can't stand playing in the wind. I can only handle a breeze. It jacks up my swing so badly, that I can't even make solid contact. It messes with my concentration.

I guess I won't be moving to Texas any time soon. Maybe they should re-name Dallas the windy city?

Same here.  All 4 rounds I've played this year got very windy at some point and I hated it so much I was tempted to pack up and go home.

I flew into Brownsville for a trip to south padre island a couple years ago, nice area down there.  My dad takes his 5th-wheel down to Corpus during the winter to hang out every year as well.

The way I can focus in the wind is to get more competitive with my playing partners.  Even if the wind is ridiculously bad, they have to play in it too, so it's fun to see who can score better, even though no one is going to score well.

• Upvote 1

The way I can focus in the wind is to get more competitive with my playing partners.  Even if the wind is ridiculously bad, they have to play in it too, so it's fun to see who can score better, even though no one is going to score well.

Agree.

I don't like playing in a lot of wind, but I do enjoy competing in a lot of wind.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

If you play early in the day here, you rarely get much of a wind when it's normal golf season (i.e., March - October). So whenever the wind is up, I take it as a challenge and actually enjoy it. It makes you think a little bit more, and crisp contact is especially important in the wind.

So, some of the shots I remember the best were when the wind was blowing. Rode the wind with a 4 iron on a tee shot once and it ended up going over 300 yards (also a downhill hole, so this isn't that big of a deal, but it was still pretty cool). Another time I ripped a 4 iron through the wind from about 210 to 15 feet. That one might have been the best shot I've ever hit.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

I hate playing in wind. And is it just me being older or does it seem like it's windy more than it used to be? Like days with 15-25 mph winds are much more common? I don't remember it being so windy ten years ago.

Colin P.

The wind almost always blows in KC.... Golfers need to control trajectory and flight the ball accordingly.  Aside from when bone chilling wind chills are in play, I don't know if I've ever opted NOT to play due to high winds.   I tell mother nature..... BRING IT!

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Went to the range tonight. 25 mph winds, with 30 to 35 mph gust's . Been a long time hitting or playing in the wind. Easy swings was the name of the game for sure. An easy 8i chip that goes almost 60 yds...argh.

Went to the range tonight. 25 mph winds, with 30 to 35 mph gust's . Been a long time hitting or playing in the wind. Easy swings was the name of the game for sure. An easy 8i chip that goes almost 60 yds...argh.

Pretty windy 20 miles north too. We went to the range only to hit against the wind. Not 35mph, but I would guess 25mph to 30mph gusts. I didn't setup the camera because the tripod blew down in one gust. It was the only time we had a gust like that, though.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Pretty windy 20 miles north too. We went to the range only to hit against the wind. Not 35mph, but I would guess 25mph to 30mph gusts. I didn't setup the camera because the tripod blew down in one gust. It was the only time we had a gust like that, though.

Yeah, lucky for me, the wind was at my back. It was almost a waste to hit full shots, so 3/4, 1/2 and pitch shots, along with my drills were the call for tonight.

I really don't mind the wind, as I have played out in Beaumont before, and as you know, it gets fairly windy out that way.

Yeah, lucky for me, the wind was at my back. It was almost a waste to hit full shots, so 3/4, 1/2 and pitch shots, along with my drills were the call for tonight. I really don't mind the wind, as I have played out in Beaumont before, and as you know, it gets fairly windy out that way.

I've never actually played under the windmills before, but I'll take your word that it was fun. :-) We played Indian Wells, but it was summer and there was no wind. I couldn't hit the ball well back then, and we just went out for the free use of the facilities we won.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I've never actually played under the windmills before, but I'll take your word that it was fun.

We played Indian Wells, but it was summer and there was no wind. I couldn't hit the ball well back then, and we just went out for the free use of the facilities we won.

I said I don't mind the wind, I never said it was Fun... :-$

On a couple of tees, the wind was affecting our swings.  One par 4, it literally blew me off balance on the backswing.  It did it to my friend on the next tee.  We just laughed!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

On a couple of tees, the wind was affecting our swings.  One par 4, it literally blew me off balance on the backswing.  It did it to my friend on the next tee.  We just laughed!

Yea that was my experience too. I generally like playing in the wind because it tells more about the state of my game than playing in calm. But only up to a point because if the wind is too strong the act of taking a backswing makes the triangle formed by my forearms act like hoisting a sail, even worse when wearing a rain or wind shell.

I went out one day when the peak wind speed was recorded at 77 mph just because I was curious what would happen. I whiffed many balls from that effect of being knocked off balance. Even when putting there was a chance of whiffing. But I was surprised that on a solidly struck shot the wind didn't seem to effect the shot as much as I had expected. But overall it wasn't really golfing more like goofing.

Mike

Note: This thread is 3652 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!