IGNORED

Breaking Bad Club - A Thread for Golfers Trying to Break 100

Gipper
Note: This thread is 1348 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys, sorry for being late to the party but this is a great thread. I love the fact everybody is supporting each other. Breaking 100 is such an accomplishment. Dont let anyone tell u otherwise. Ive broken 100 a bunch and 90 a few times and my advice is two fold. 1: play the right tees, which is the first set you see behind the ladies tees on most courses. 2) do what i did; google plugged in golf how to break 100. They have one thats great for breaking 90 too that u should read. It blew my mind so much that the 2nd time i did it i broke 90. Its a simple plan and you dont have to hit it far, u just have to be disciplined. Good luck.

Was cruising the past couple months, fluctuating between 95 and 105, then bam...a 118

Driver collapsed.

Went to the range and refound my driver...manage a 185-220 depending on wind roll...and straightened it out

then shot a 99 and a 95

Yesterday hit 6 bunkers and went 104

Forgot about hitting the green or laying up...went straight for the pin...straight into the bunker

Gotta remember

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have not touched a club in over a week while my back was healing.  I decided it was time to get back out there and thought why not mix it up a bit.  Time to use some clubs I shy away from from time to time.  I hit from the ladies tees and did not use the driver all day long.  I did not try to bend the shots around the trees and played the course pretty much straight on and 'short'.  It was 3w on the longer holes with some 5 irons on the doglegs.  I even grabbed a 9i by mistake for a tee shot on one par 4 but hit it longer than I normally do by about 35 yards.  Got a bogey so it wasn't all bad for that hole.  I wasn't expecting much for scoring and ended up with a 100.  I did crank on one 3w and it went 246 yards but I went back into safe mode after that.  What was really frustrating was skulling to many shots and missing some easy putts.  The putts can probably be attributed to not marking the ball towards the hole/line.  It saved me from bending down but the little suckers wanted to miss right.   I have played these tees before but got into a "I can drive the green mentality" and it wasn't pretty at all.  In fact it was downright ugly!  This time I toned it down on that approach and was kind of feeling out the back on what it was going to do.  I think that is why my play around the greens was less than stellar because I went down on a little flop shot the week before.  I might try this out again because I touched some clubs that usually don't see much action and sometimes they were going for the green.  I even thought about not using a tee for some extra hits from the turf.  My scores might go to the dark side again but in the end I think it will make me a better player.

Score:  100

Fairways:   71%

GIR:  17%

Putts/Hole:  2

Scrambling:  7%

Not great but a work in progress!

Driver:  :nike:  Vapor Pro 9.5°  Wood & Hybrids : :nike:Covert Tour 13°, 18° & 21°
Irons & Wedges:
  :nike:  Covert 2.0  5i - AW,  :titleist:   56-14F,  60-07S
Putter:     :titleist:Newport Select
Balls:  :bridgestone: B330-RX

Played a round after almost 2 weeks off.  I left work early for appointments and went over to the course at 3.  It was empty and apparently, the fall rate for 18 and a cart at 3pm is only $10!

The weather was perfect, sunny and 70 with a breeze.  My only goal was to have a decent tee shot on #1... I never have a good tee shot on 1.  It was decent... went just shy of 200yds and just off the fairway.  For the most part, I was feeling not-great about the round.  The whole time I was thinking that I was going to be close to 120.

Ended up with a 58/47 105!      I almost did a dance in the parking lot when I hit "finish round" in game golf and saw that I got 105.  That is my best 18 hole score by 5 strokes and 47 is my best 9 hole score by 3.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Played a round after almost 2 weeks off.  I left work early for appointments and went over to the course at 3.  It was empty and apparently, the fall rate for 18 and a cart at 3pm is only $10!

The weather was perfect, sunny and 70 with a breeze.  My only goal was to have a decent tee shot on #1... I never have a good tee shot on 1.  It was decent... went just shy of 200yds and just off the fairway.  For the most part, I was feeling not-great about the round.  The whole time I was thinking that I was going to be close to 120.

Ended up with a 58/47 105!      I almost did a dance in the parking lot when I hit "finish round" in game golf and saw that I got 105.  That is my best 18 hole score by 5 strokes and 47 is my best 9 hole score by 3.

Congrats on the 105!  That 47 shows you can do it.  At $10 a round, you know exactly what you should be doing.

Driver:  :nike:  Vapor Pro 9.5°  Wood & Hybrids : :nike:Covert Tour 13°, 18° & 21°
Irons & Wedges:
  :nike:  Covert 2.0  5i - AW,  :titleist:   56-14F,  60-07S
Putter:     :titleist:Newport Select
Balls:  :bridgestone: B330-RX

Quote:

Originally Posted by krupa

The weather was perfect, sunny and 70 with a breeze.  My only goal was to have a decent tee shot on #1... I never have a good tee shot on 1.  It was decent... went just shy of 200yds and just off the fairway.  For the most part, I was feeling not-great about the round.  The whole time I was thinking that I was going to be close to 120.

Congrats on the 105!  That 47 shows you can do it.  At $10 a round, you know exactly what you should be doing.

Thanks!  I'm definitely making it a point to play as much as I can in the next couple months.

What's impressive about this for me is that you shaved so many strokes off of the back 9. That is usually where fatigue becomes a factor for me, and I start to blow up after about the 12th hole of play.

At that price, hopefully you can rack up some serious course time over the next few weeks of quality daylight

Nike Covert 2.0 driver with Kuro Kage

Nike Covert Tour 3 wood

Nike Covert 5 wood

Nike Covert 4 hybrid

Nike VRS Forged irons 5i-GW

Callaway Forged Wedge 56deg

Callaway X-Forged Wedge 60deg

Odyssey White Hot XG #9 putter
2015 Sun Mountain Tour Series cart bag

What's impressive about this for me is that you shaved so many strokes off of the back 9. That is usually where fatigue becomes a factor for me, and I start to blow up after about the 12th hole of play.

At that price, hopefully you can rack up some serious course time over the next few weeks of quality daylight

Unless I was already sore/tired when I started, I usually have a better back 9.  I think it's simply because my home course (the one I play 99% of the time, anyway) doesn't have a range so I have to use the first few (or more) holes to warm up and so instead of having hit, say 80 balls (20-ish on the range, 60-ish on the course) after 9 holes, I'm making the turn with only 50-60 swings.

Played 18 again after work.  Turns out it's not $10 for 18 and a cart.`.. it's $10 for a cart for members.  The kid on Monday must have thought I had a membership.

Not as great today but still pretty decent, 53/54 (107).  http://www.gamegolf.com/player/krupa/round/588871

Sent 3 balls OB and on a temporary par 3 (they're working on the fairway of a par 4), I hit a nice tee shot to inside 10 feet and then proceeded to 4-putt.  That made me sad. ;)

I started playing 10 months ago. Went from 115 to 96 on average after 2 months. Key things that helped:

1 get fitted for you clubs. Very important, if the lie is up or down on the club it will cause it to open up or close when you hit the ground. Causing a bad slice or hook.

2 Keep your head and feet still

3 Take a shorter back swing with a good tempo. If your wrist are hurting it is probably from to fast of back swing. I have seen so many people with a faster back swing than there actual swing.

4 Have a pre shot routine. Even on the range. Don't keep just hacking balls. Walk back and reset every shot. You don't hit 10 balls back to back on the course. This one thing got me into the 80s for the first time a month ago.

5 relax. To many mind will cause bad shots. Don't walk up to the green and say "well this is for bogie" you will end up 3 putting for a triple. Same if you duff a swing. Don't go right up to the ball and just swing out of anger. It's never going to be a good shot. And try to get rid of that "o shit what am I doing?!" On your downswing. Pretend like the ball is a ghost or something. Swing thru not at it.

6 have fun and be loose. It is just a game, we aren't playing for millions.

I've been a lurker for awhile but this post made me sign up to hopefully share some knowledge. I haven't had any lessons (yet) and I hope I can help some people out here. I also practice my chipping everyday on my lunch break. Before I go to play I do some dynamic stretches while watching golf. Watching pros before I go out gets me in the mind set.

Also as some one else said. I played without a driver and 3 wood for a couple months and brought them in slowly. You don't have to kill the ball 250-300yds every time. 180-190 will get you there in 3 for a 1 putt.

Yes I am quoting myself. I just looked back at my post and laughed. I am down to a 16 have way better contact, drives are miles ahead but I am stuck scoring mid 80s to low 90s in swings. Everything I put in here is advice I need.

Now advice I can give since my last post. Make sure your driver shaft is correct! Shafts are not rated to the same spec for flexes. Even the same Manufacture has differences between flexes between shafts. Also regarding this also is "feel isn't real" and this thread  http://thesandtrap.com/t/74295/putting-do-not-accelerate-through-the-ball       Best thing for my putting game. down to 30-32 putts a round

Use your core/hips not your arms and by that my back swing rotation barely involves my arms, they don't start it for sure. Hips start the down swing with feet "quite"

We can get into swing thoughts that I am getting rid of. Trust you body ie:muscle memory to make the swing, you don't take practice scoops to your mouth 3-4 times while eating soup or cereal or line up drinks for short mouth to beer sips.(I am not saying to stop practice swings.)

im going to go out on a limb and predict that i will break 45 this monday for the first time all year. playing only 8 clubs for the first time. i think its going to make a big improvement to my score. of course it could go the other way. haha

1. LPGA Square Two Melody driver 
  2. Callaway Steelhead Plus 5 W
  3. Adamsgolf Idea 4i hybrid 
  4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  6. LH Golfsmith Tour Model IV PW
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW
  8. LH Ping Zing Magnesium Bronze

im going to go out on a limb and predict that i will break 45 this monday for the first time all year. playing only 8 clubs for the first time. i think its going to make a big improvement to my score. of course it could go the other way. haha

Yeah!! Had my best 9 of the year, 8 over 43. From the back tees, 70.0 rating, slope 123. I finally tamed my driver. I played my fade, open face, open stance and stayed out of trouble. No obs, no hazards. Finished with the ball I started with. Putter came around to for me. Played with 8 clubs, only used 7. I think playing with fewer clubs helped. Less decision making, less wrong club selections. Started out slow but came on and played the last 5 holes 2 over. Came in second out of seven guys. The winner was 4 over. He only played with 5 clubs.

1. LPGA Square Two Melody driver 
  2. Callaway Steelhead Plus 5 W
  3. Adamsgolf Idea 4i hybrid 
  4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  6. LH Golfsmith Tour Model IV PW
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW
  8. LH Ping Zing Magnesium Bronze

So this was my first summer really playing golf after only playing maybe once or twice a year before. I have been shooting in about the 110+ range since I started mostly due to inconsistency off the tee and a complete inability to hit my irons. Well I had a bit of an epiphany a few weeks ago with the irons and started just going with my 3 wood off the tee which I hit fairly well usually in the 220 range and have moderate success keeping it in the fairway. I haven't scored a round in probably a month or so just walking by myself and playing a couple balls each hole just practicing. Last night I went out with a friend from work and we went to a course I had never played that was pretty tough it had a good amount of water hazards and the toughest greens I've ever played by far. I was striking the ball better than ever and I was playing bogie golf through 6... until I looked at the card and realized that then my ability to make a putt went out the window. I ended the round with 43 putts and shot a 102 I left literally every putt way short which was frustrating because on the very slopey greens I had a handful of tough lag putts that I left about 6" short but on the right line which if I could have just put one in it would have helped my confidence and I think I would have been more successful the rest of the round. I only went OB twice which is pretty good for me hitting my 3 wood is the right call since I hit it farther than my driver anyway (no clue as to how that is). I'm excited to play my much easier home course, play it seriously and see if I cant beat my best score ever of a 98 this weekend.

Fixed my iron play with a lesson, ruined my driver. Oh well. I think the driver stays home next round. Once the decent iron swing is burned in, I will take a lesson on the driver. Right now fixing one thing at a time has been my best path.

Pretty much my best round ever played since starting golf this Summer. Been a while since I played this course, and my play has improved from playing my regular course. Few playing notes

-4 is a dogleg, and last time I played I was driving into the dogleg. Have been hitting better since and didnt adjust, so I sent my drive past the dogleg and into the trees. The dogleg is easy to cut so if I ever play again, I know what to do.

-8th hole is always a hole that gets to me. Its a straight forward par-5, but for some reason I always duff shots here on the fairway. I like to blame the geese that are always hanging around.

-Sun was setting quickly, was on a roll and wish I had started sooner to do more of the back 9.

So this was my first summer really playing golf after only playing maybe once or twice a year before. I have been shooting in about the 110+ range since I started mostly due to inconsistency off the tee and a complete inability to hit my irons. Well I had a bit of an epiphany a few weeks ago with the irons and started just going with my 3 wood off the tee which I hit fairly well usually in the 220 range and have moderate success keeping it in the fairway. I haven't scored a round in probably a month or so just walking by myself and playing a couple balls each hole just practicing. Last night I went out with a friend from work and we went to a course I had never played that was pretty tough it had a good amount of water hazards and the toughest greens I've ever played by far. I was striking the ball better than ever and I was playing bogie golf through 6... until I looked at the card and realized that then my ability to make a putt went out the window. I ended the round with 43 putts and shot a 102 I left literally every putt way short which was frustrating because on the very slopey greens I had a handful of tough lag putts that I left about 6" short but on the right line which if I could have just put one in it would have helped my confidence and I think I would have been more successful the rest of the round. I only went OB twice which is pretty good for me hitting my 3 wood is the right call since I hit it farther than my driver anyway (no clue as to how that is). I'm excited to play my much easier home course, play it seriously and see if I cant beat my best score ever of a 98 this weekend.

So I succeeded not by much but I did manage to post a 97. I walked 18 which was rougher than anticipated I walk 9 probably 3 times a week by myself and play on the weekends with a cart and friends but by hole 13 or 14 my legs were gone and I played terribly. I shot a 46 on the front which was my best 9 hole score ever but scuffled my way to a 51 on the back. For the first time ever my irons actually were the strong point of my game and it feels incredibly good to make it through a round without topping or chunking any irons although the shanks are still alive and well. I'm either dead straight or 45 degrees to the right there's no in between but on this day at least there were many more straight shots than shanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a bit of a miracle 9 yesterday. Went out after work I generally hit the practice green for about 20 min before going out but I was short on time so I went right to the first tee. I intended on just playing a couple balls and practicing but I got off to a hot start so I figured id play out the round. I was actually even through 4 holes with a bogie a birdie and 2 pars which was as far as ive made it even par. I had 5 GIR which is a personal best and I was putting ok no 3 putts. The last couple holes I think a little nervous and going into 9 I was 3 over its a par 5 and I needed to par to post a 39 unfortunately that was my mantra on the tee box and I sliced the crap out of it, it was only the second fairway id missed, then I tried playing a 7iron to lay up in front of a small pond and chunked it which I had been able to avoid all round. I ended up with a double and a 41 which was 5 shots better than my personal best I set last weekend. Of course playing by myself none of my friends believed me but that's alright im confident I can play close to this level from now on.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I have been playing for 1 year now.  My goal for the year was to shoot below 100 on average.  I broke 100 for the first time several months ago, but still shot on average 102-105.  Well I finally have been averaging below 100.  My GameGolf average score is now below 100!!   The goal for this year is now to get that down below 90.

My driving is still inconsistent.   But my largest issue is my approach shot, I still mishit by second shot way to much.  My iron play needs lots of improvement including distance and aim.  

Thanks to all the post and helpful tips from this thread!

first_year_golf.jpg

• 4 months later...

So who is going to break 100 this year.  Broken ribs in July last year made me lose 5 weeks of golf then I shot 101-105 a handful of times before having 4 straight 9 hole scores in the upper 40's including a 46. 

In April I am playing 6 rounds of golf in Orlando.  I have been working hard on my short game and got a new putter.  It's going to happen this season. 

Driver: Taylormade RBZ :tmade: Irons: Titleist AP1 :titleist: PW-4 All other clubs are needing upgrading as I am able to afford it.

Note: This thread is 1348 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!