IGNORED

For those that have ... how long did it take you to break 80 ?

inthehole
Note: This thread is 3224 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm 50 years old, been playing 4-1/2 years now, finally did it today with a 79 (Pocono Manor East).   Seems I've been chasing it for the last year or so, have had sub 40 - 9 holes, but couldn't keep it together for an entire 18.

Funny part is that there was nothing stellar, putting was decent - really concentrated on the 2-3 footers and made all those (but made nothing over 5 ft).    I guess the bottom line was there were fewer than usual mistakes.     No bad lag putts for a change, only 1 OB shot (hybrid approach on a short par 5 - got greedy, leaned on it trying for an eagle chance, backfired), chipping above average, approach shots on or fairly close to the green, tee shots in play.    10 pars, 1 birdie, 1 double and the rest bogs.

Just curious if I'm above or below the learning curve of most that have managed to break 80  ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'll just stick with, "Nice Job, John. Keep lowering your handicap!"
  • Upvote 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I'm 50 years old, been playing 4-1/2 years now, finally did it today with a 79 (Pocono Manor East).   Seems I've been chasing it for the last year or so, have had sub 40 - 9 holes, but couldn't keep it together for an entire 18.

Funny part is that there was nothing stellar, putting was decent - really concentrated on the 2-3 footers and made all those (but made nothing over 5 ft).    I guess the bottom line was there were fewer than usual mistakes.     No bad lag putts for a change, only 1 OB shot (hybrid approach on a short par 5 - got greedy, leaned on it trying for an eagle chance, backfired), chipping above average, approach shots on or fairly close to the green, tee shots in play.    10 pars, 1 birdie, 1 double and the rest bogs.

Just curious if I'm above or below the learning curve of most that have managed to break 80  ...

Breaking 80 in itself puts you ahead of the learning curve but as many have pointed out in similar threads the length of the course and its rating really change what breaking 80 means when we're talking about skill level.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

I'm 50 years old, been playing 4-1/2 years now, finally did it today with a 79 (Pocono Manor East).   Seems I've been chasing it for the last year or so, have had sub 40 - 9 holes, but couldn't keep it together for an entire 18.   Funny part is that there was nothing stellar, putting was decent - really concentrated on the 2-3 footers and made all those (but made nothing over 5 ft).    I guess the bottom line was there were fewer than usual mistakes.     No bad lag putts for a change, only 1 OB shot (hybrid approach on a short par 5 - got greedy, leaned on it trying for an eagle chance, backfired), chipping above average, approach shots on or fairly close to the green, tee shots in play.    10 pars, 1 birdie, 1 double and the rest bogs. Just curious if I'm above or below the learning curve of most that have managed to break 80  ...

Congrats! Since the majority of golfers never break 80, the simple fact that you did puts you well ahead of the curve....

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I'm 48 years old, my Dad started me out when I was 7 years old. I first broke 80 at the age of 15. I shot in the upper 70's pretty regular until age 27. Then I thought I was done with golf and decided to give it up because I was not shooting in the low 70's as often as I thought I should. Fishing and drinking became more fun and that is what I did for the next 15 years. I have since gone back to Golf but, things just don't come as easy as they use to. My 8 iron does not go 150 yds anymore, my drives do not go 285 anymore, my putting is an absolute mess. yet I can still pull out a 79 a few times a month. I love this game for better or worse.

@inthehole , Congrats!.   I think there was a similar thread before.  You may want to search for it.

As I recall, younger golfers seems to reach their 1st sub 80 score rather quickly, in a year or two.  I started playing golf at age 48 and it took me 4 years to break 80.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Think it took me a couple years. I started playing when I was 13 and managed to do it towards the end of my Freshman year in high school.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I started playing in 1962.  First broke "80" in 1990.  I would say it took me 10 years as my playing really was nothing more than the occasional round until about 1980 but officially it was 28 years.  Slow learner.

Brian Kuehn

It took me 31 years, but I probably only averaged 10 rounds per year over that span as I didn't quite have the fever I do now.

Randal

It took me about 5 years. I really didn't start playing golf until college and by the time college was over, I could break 80.That being said, I worked at a country club during my college years and got to play quite a bit.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

I'm 48 years old, my Dad started me out when I was 7 years old. I first broke 80 at the age of 15. I shot in the upper 70's pretty regular until age 27. Then I thought I was done with golf and decided to give it up because I was not shooting in the low 70's as often as I thought I should. Fishing and drinking became more fun and that is what I did for the next 15 years. I have since gone back to Golf but, things just don't come as easy as they use to. My 8 iron does not go 150 yds anymore, my drives do not go 285 anymore, my putting is an absolute mess. yet I can still pull out a 79 a few times a month. I love this game for better or worse.

I think it's funny but I actually hit the ball further now (at 46) than I did at 26. I guess that any argument about the equipment changing the game goes out the window as far as I'm concerned. As a matter of fact, I played yesterday and about half way through the the round I switched from a two piece cheap ball to a Pro VX and gained about another 15 yards with all my clubs. I now regularly hit a 9 iron from 150 (depending on the wind). When I was in my 20's, a 150 yard shot was a good 8 iron.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

It took my son about 6 years. Started at 9 and only did it early this year on a course rated 72.5/133. Took me almost 5 years at 72.9/131 on a course I play every day.
  • Upvote 1

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Great job! To break 80 starting that late in life (I'm older than you), other things going on in life, pretty impressive. I'd say you are way ahead of the curve for folks starting when you did.

I started playing at 15, probably broke 80 the first time when I was 17, don't really even remember it. I was young, played all the time though.

• Upvote 1

Steve

Thx guys for the replies and inspiration !

Did I mention it took me 25 months to break 80 again?   I am hoping you don't wait that long for your next one.   Looking at your HI, I don't think you will wait that long.  Post on this thread WHEN you break 80 again. :-D

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Did I mention it took me 25 months to break 80 again?   I am hoping you don't wait that long for your next one.   Looking at your HI, I don't think you will wait that long.  Post on this thread WHEN you break 80 again.    :-D

Where you a 17 index as your profile shows when your broke 80? I'm currently a 10 and I've never broken 80. I tied it twice from the ladies tees though.

[quote name="rkim291968" url="/t/82622/for-those-that-have-how-long-did-it-take-you-to-break-80#post_1155012"] Did I mention it took me 25 months to break 80 again?   I am hoping you don't wait that long for your next one.   Looking at your HI, I don't think you will wait that long.  Post on this thread WHEN you break 80 again.    :-D

Where you a 17 index as your profile shows when your broke 80? I'm currently a 10 and I've never broken 80. I tied it twice from the ladies tees though.[/quote] Short game issues, right?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

Did I mention it took me 25 months to break 80 again?   I am hoping you don't wait that long for your next one.   Looking at your HI, I don't think you will wait that long.  Post on this thread WHEN you break 80 again.

Where you a 17 index as your profile shows when your broke 80? I'm currently a 10 and I've never broken 80. I tied it twice from the ladies tees though.

1st time, my HI was 16 and was quickly going down to 14 (lasted only for a month).   This was a fluke golf month for me when everything I did in golf worked way above my norm.  2nd time (a few weeks ago), my HI was about 17.    Both courses were somewhat easy (around 70/124 CR, and not long, 5800 & 6200 yards, respectively).    My scores can fluctuate wildly, and I play a lot of rounds (2 - 3 times a week).   Still, only twice ...

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Note: This thread is 3224 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!