IGNORED

Tiger's Slam - A Grand Achievement?

iacas
Note: This thread is 3041 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

13 members have voted

1. 1. Was Tiger's Slam (winning all four major championships in a row) a "grand slam"?

• Yes
    • No

And how could 4 different winners be up for the slam? Only 1 can be up for winning consecutive majors at a time...confused here...

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It has to be based on a calendar year. To win the slam your need to win the first major of the year. Otherwise four different major winners could be in contention for the slam. If a football team went 0-8 win the first half of a season 8-0 the second half and then went 8-0 the first half of the next year they wouldn't be considered to have gone unbeaten. Calendar year only.

If a ball player ends the season with 55 game hitting streak.

Starts the next season with a 10 game hitting streak.

Does that ball player Break Dimaggio's 56 game hitting streak?

I dont think so!

Doing something during the season, during the grind of playing day in and day out is difficult. Taking a month or 2 off in between kind of dampens that a chievement.

Not to mention a football season doesn't take place in a calendar year either.

But Football has a season and a post season which has a specific start and end date.

We are debating a slam which is 4 majors either during a season, during a calendar year or during the course of 365 span.

Golf is tough because they dont have the same guys competing every time. The season is different.

I think  winning 4 majors in a row is impressive and a heck of an a chievement.

However winning them in the same season is more impressive.

It should be noted that Tennis has a grand slam which takes place during the season from January austrilian open  through Septempber US Open.
However in 1982 Tennis instituted a non-calendar year grand slam to include slams won over consecutive years.

How often does tennis rave about their non-calendar year grand slam winners??????

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

However winning them in the same season is more impressive.

I am good with what ever you feel is correct, but can you define the dates of "a season" and which governing agency determines that season?

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

And how could 4 different winners be up for the slam? Only 1 can be up for winning consecutive majors at a time...confused here...

Take this year for example. At the start Speith was capable of winning the slam (if he wins the next two). Forward to the British. Now Johnson is available to win the slam (if he wins the next three). Forward to the PGA. Now Day is available to win the slam (if he wins the next three). So this year three players were capable of winning the "4 in a row" slam. Most years four players are in the running. I still contend it needs to be in a calendar year.

The posted baseball analogy is a bit more clear than my football analogy, but you get the idea.

If a ball player ends the season with 55 game hitting streak.  Starts the next season with a 10 game hitting streak. Does that ball player Break Dimaggio's 56 game hitting streak? I dont think so! Doing something during the season, during the grind of playing day in and day out is difficult. Taking a month or 2 off in between kind of dampens that achievement. But Football has a season and a post season which has a specific start and end date. We are debating a slam which is 4 majors either during a season, during a calendar year or during the course of 365 span. Golf is tough because they dont have the same guys competing every time. The season is different. I think  winning 4 majors in a row is impressive and a heck of an achievement. However winning them in the same season is more impressive. It should be noted that Tennis has a grand slam which takes place during the season from January austrilian open  through Septempber US Open. However in 1982 Tennis instituted a non-calendar year grand slam to include slams won over consecutive years. How often does tennis rave about their non-calendar year grand slam winners??????

Hate to break it to you but you're dead wrong about the DiMaggio analogy. Hitting streaks absolutely carry over across seasons. I would also disagree in regards to the difficulty. Streaks occur because players are in a zone or on a hot .. Wait for it ... Streak ;). Months off is not going to cheapen the validity of a streak because if anything that would make it harder.

• Upvote 1

While the concept of the "Grand Slam of Golf" is an artificial, media manufactured concept, it is what it is. It is meant to take place in a calendar year. What Tiger did is most impressive and he deserves massive accolades for it, but they call it the "Tiger Slam" for a reason. If it was a "Grand Slam" they would call it that.

Bill M

Hate to break it to you but you're dead wrong about the DiMaggio analogy. Hitting streaks absolutely carry over across seasons.

This is partly correct. According to Wiki, baseball recognizes both, but differentiates between, single season and multiple season hitting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Major_League_Baseball_hit_records#Consecutive_game_hitting_streaks_to_start_a_career

Although (IMO), like other sports record analogies either way, irrelevant to the question at hand, which is how one defines a particular golf term.

This is partly correct. According to Wiki, baseball recognizes both, but differentiates between, single season and multiple season hitting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Major_League_Baseball_hit_records#Consecutive_game_hitting_streaks_to_start_a_career

Although (IMO), like other sports record analogies either way, irrelevant to the question at hand, which is how one defines a particular golf term.

Here's another citation I meant to include above:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2178924

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Hate to break it to you but you're dead wrong about the DiMaggio analogy. Hitting streaks absolutely carry over across seasons.

nah...   the "record" isn't "tied" to a single season...  willie keeler is recognized as the second longest streak, and it was accomplished over 2 seasons...

there are "single season" records, just like there are "single game" records...

nah...   the "record" isn't "tied" to a single season...  willie keeler is recognized as the second longest streak, and it was accomplished over 2 seasons...

there are "single season" records, just like there are "single game" records...

There are single season records and "consecutive" records.

But As previously stated, Tennis Differentiates between the non-calendar year grand and a Grand Slam.

so if they are making a distinction and recognizing both differently,

Why dont we?

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

There are single season records and "consecutive" records.

But As previously stated, Tennis Differentiates between the non-calendar year grand and a Grand Slam.

so if they are making a distinction and recognizing both differently,

Why dont we?

You can if you want. The problem is that people want to make one seem more important than the other when they are not. You still have to do the same thing, win 4 majors in a row. The action is still the same. People just like to categorize things. Maybe some want to just find that insignificant difference so they can make it seem like they achieved something better.

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

I generally don't quote Wikipedia as a source since people on the other side of the argument immediately jump to the claim that it can be edited by anybody.  But since Wikipedia was brought up:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Slam_%28golf%29

There's also an article about the Grand Slam on Golfsmith's web site, in which they say:

...For a golfer to win the Grand Slam, he must win all four of these tournaments in one golf season. Winning four events in one year is challenging in itself; winning each of the four majors would put the golfer among the game's elite. In golf's modern era, no one has ever won each of these events in one season. Golf legend Bobby Jones is credited as being the only Grand Slam winner. He won the sport's four biggest tournaments played in 1930, before the Masters was founded. Jones won the British Amateur, British Open, U.S. Open and U.S. Amateur for his Grand Slam...

Tiger Slam

The only modern-era golfer to win all four major tournaments in a row, although not in the same season, is Woods. In 2000, he won the U.S. Open, British Open and PGA Championship, and in 2001, he won the Masters. These wins meant that Woods was the defending champion of all four majors at one time. This achievement is often referred to as the Tiger Slam.

And once again, I'd fall back on the PGA's definition of Grand Slam in the glossary on their official website:

http://www.pga.com/golf-instruction/instruction-feature/fundamentals/golf-glossary-and-golf-terms#g

The revisionists who want to claim that Woods completed the Grand Slam will never be convinced otherwise, of course - but in my opinion there's ample evidence to show that, at least in the modern era, the Grand Slam is winning all four majors in a calendar year.  Again, I don't feel that it diminishes his accomplishment - call it a "career Grand Slam" or a "Tiger Slam" or whatever else you want to call it, it's an impressive accomplishment.  But it's not a "Grand Slam".

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

• Administrator
It has to be based on a calendar year. To win the slam your need to win the first major of the year. Otherwise four different major winners could be in contention for the slam.

Only one major winner at a time could be in contention for the slam.

If a ball player ends the season with 55 game hitting streak.

Starts the next season with a 10 game hitting streak.

Does that ball player Break Dimaggio's 56 game hitting streak?

I dont think so!

Yes.

P.S. I've been tempted to email the guy who does a lot of the web work for the PGA.com site to get him to change that. I probably could. Each time it's cited it's more and more tempting. :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

P.S. I've been tempted to email the guy who does a lot of the web work for the PGA.com site to get him to change that. I probably could. Each time it's cited it's more and more tempting. :)

If I see it change then I know who made them do it ;)

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

[QUOTE name="Calvin" url="/t/83344/tigers-slam-a-grand-achievement/432#post_1187189"]   This is partly correct. According to Wiki, baseball recognizes both, but differentiates between, single season and multiple season hitting. [URL=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Major_League_Baseball_hit_records#Consecutive_game_hitting_streaks_to_start_a_career]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Major_League_Baseball_hit_records#Consecutive_game_hitting_streaks_to_start_a_career[/URL]  Although (IMO), like other sports record analogies either way, irrelevant to the question at hand, which is how one defines a particular golf term. [/QUOTE] [QUOTE name="ccotenj" url="/t/83344/tigers-slam-a-grand-achievement/432#post_1187197"]   nah...   the "record" isn't "tied" to a single season...  willie keeler is recognized as the second longest streak, and it was accomplished over 2 seasons... there are "single season" records, just like there are "single game" records...  [/QUOTE] There are single season records and "consecutive" records. But As previously stated, Tennis Differentiates between the [COLOR=181818]non-calendar year grand and a Grand Slam.[/COLOR] [COLOR=181818]so if they are making a distinction and recognizing both differently,[/COLOR] [COLOR=181818]Why dont we?[/COLOR]

good for tennis...

• 3 weeks later...

Watching some awesome US Open tennis today and I was intrigued by this graphic: I think it means something that they felt it necessary to qualify the grand slam with the words "calendar year" and to capitalize them. Doesnt this indirectly infer that the "other thing" is a "grand achievement?" ;)

• Upvote 3

I'd have to agree...4 in a row, is 4 in a row.

It's not the same.

The Tiger slam or wraparound slam could be 1-2-3-4, or 2-3-4-1, or 3-4-1-2 or 4-1-2-3.  IOW 4 chances to achieve it.

The real slam can only be 1-2-3-4.  One chance.

• Upvote 1

Occam's razor

• Administrator
It's not the same. The Tiger slam or wraparound slam could be 1-2-3-4, or 2-3-4-1, or 3-4-1-2 or 4-1-2-3.  IOW 4 chances to achieve it. The real slam can only be 1-2-3-4.  One chance.

The issue of "chances" was discussed earlier in some depth. It was seen as pointless among many/most as it has no real bearing on the athletic difficulty. Scroll back through.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 3041 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!