IGNORED

Cleat Chaos

Note: This thread is 3047 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
11 hours ago, CR McDivot said:

Folks, you don't have to like me. You are not required to accept my thoughts or opinions.

I don't understand why you felt the need to say that, particularly when you go on to say the same thing everyone else has said: properly designed soft spikes are fine.

The problem is with the new super-aggressive soft spikes that put a lot of pressure on some little points. The kind that lead to posts like this (over two years ago): http://turfdoctor.blogspot.com/2013/07/new-golf-shoes.html .

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I recall how the greens looked after a day's play from everyone wearing metal spikes. They looked like a pin cushions.  The change to soft spikes was a revelation.  

As the years have passed, my personal observation is greens have started to show more signs of soft spike wearers.  We have traded the pin cushion of spike marks for the ruts, scuffs and dents of soft spike wearers.  It may be time to dial back the soft spike designs to something a but more green friendly.

Brian Kuehn

I'm a pretty big guy and wear Footjoy Dry Joys and Icons, I notice both leave marks on the greens when they are wet.  The marks are minimal but certainly reflect a change in the soft spike and sole design of the shoes that place more weight on the cleats and less on the non-cleated portions of the shoe.

I compared the soles of some newer and older shoes and noticed that the soles of the newer shoes bore more weight on the cleats and the older soft spikes did not extend as much beyond the sole of the shoe compared to newer shoes.

Joe Paradiso

At least on the courses I play, old ball marks and maintenance issues are a much bigger problem than damage caused by soft spikes. That said, we have a par-3 course that gets a lot less attention from the grounds crew than the others and spike marks will accumulate if it's a bit damp out. A few months ago I was behind a really big guy. I could see his massive hoof prints around every hole.

If they can work with the manufacturers by educating them, that would be the best way to handle the issue.  Instead of banning certain soft spikes and trying to enforce that they could just work with the companies so that they come up with correct designs and don't produce the wrong type of spike that are damaging the greens.  I couldn't imagine playing in Florida with spike less golf shoes in the wet season.   

Modern spikes have become hard plastic equivalents of the metal spikes, except, they are shorter and hence don't penetrate the ground as much.  However, each spike is bigger and the newer shoes concentrate too much force on a few spots.  Except when the ground is slippery (wet, sand, downhill long grass etc.) I prefer cross trainers as they are more comfortable and practical.  Think it is time they all sat together and worked out how to make spikes that don't damage the greens so much.

Edited by pganapathy

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

• 4 weeks later...

Let's put this into perspective. As a twilight member, I play in the late afternoons, and in the last two months, with the sun at a low oblique angle, I could easily see the divots and impressions that softspikes leave on a green. It looks like the surface of the moon. Recently, I bought a pair of leather bottom shoes that had the same threads as the old champ steels, so I bought some steels and screwed them in and headed out on a late afternoon. I was very conscious of my footprints and actually checked them. Guess what, my footprints were perfectly flat, with tiny little holes indicating where each spike had penetrated the green. Much less influence over how a ball will roll than the 18 shallow craters on your line created by modern 'soft spikes'. There, that was easy.

Edited by dak4n6

dak4n6

I weigh nearly 300 lbs, so it doesnt matter if I wear spikes or loafers with flat soles, I leave marks on all soft greens. (So I try to walk lightly)

If I wore those adidas that have the raised spikes, Id be tilling up the greens!

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

• iacas changed the title to Cleat Chaos

I am fearing an era where only spikeless shoes will be allowed. Then, after that only treadless slippers will be allowed. Then, only slippers with a smooth teflon bottom...

It's aligned with the overall social structure moving towards more and more authority dictating what we can and can't do.

Hey, when does the revolution start? Give me a call...(tongue firmly in cheek...)

dak4n6

1 hour ago, dak4n6 said:

Hey, when does the revolution start?

It starts when golf shoe manufactures commit to designing products which provide less damage to putting surfaces. If golf shoes manufactures listen to the needs of turf managers (your green keeper) saying "hey, look at how these shoes are tearing the root structure of the green!", then possibly, the greens would have less damage, heel impression, spike marks, scuffs caused by normal foot traffic.

1 hour ago, dak4n6 said:

I am fearing.... Then, after that only tread-less slippers will be allowed. Then, only slippers with a smooth Teflon bottom...

Really !!!

Why not have an objective open mind to providing a better experience for everyone.....

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

7 hours ago, No Mulligans said:

Second pic, looks like these would do more damage than the old metal spikes.

Yes they are a product which have been viewed by course managers as causing damage to green surfaces.

They do provide a substantial turf footing in all conditions, but unfortunately not friendly to the green surfaces.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Note: This thread is 3047 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!