IGNORED

TrackMan data offer insight but can't solve all problems [Golfweek]

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3036 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

TrackMan data offer insight but can't solve all problems

To the author. People still look at you funny if you bring camera and tripod. You're not going to get as many stares w/radar because the device "sticks out" less, although the beep might be a giveaway if it's quiet. To speak to point #2 - hey, feel ain't real.  No, radar was never a panacea, but I always thought of it as an indirect benefit as it makes your instructors better.

1. TrackMan matches distance with feel.

2. What you think is happening is not always what is really happening.

3. TrackMan can’t answer all of your questions.

http://golfweek.com/news/2015/dec/20/trackman-data-equipment-dusek-advanced-data-solve/

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

From what I could tell, it doesn't really help this 15HC all that much. Everything he wrote is pretty obvious just watching the ball flight. He's on the range, and not some dingy little room?

For example, with 7i it sounds like he's casting. A FO video will immediately tell that, but it's pretty obvious if his ball flight is so much higher than his 8i which he seems to pull left. It just sounds like he pulls his 8i low and casts his 7i, but it seems like you don't need a Trackman to tell you that on a driving range?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Even though I know very little about how to diagnose an issue with the golf swing, like the author of this article, I would love to have a TM/FS/GCS2 at my disposal so I could "see my numbers."

Sometimes Mark Crossfield uploads videos of lessons he gives to his students and it's interesting to see how to he goes about analyzing the numbers and figuring out how to help his students.  

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

On 12/21/2015 at 10:19 AM, Lihu said:

From what I could tell, it doesn't really help this 15HC all that much. Everything he wrote is pretty obvious just watching the ball flight. He's on the range, and not some dingy little room?

For example, with 7i it sounds like he's casting. A FO video will immediately tell that, but it's pretty obvious if his ball flight is so much higher than his 8i which he seems to pull left. It just sounds like he pulls his 8i low and casts his 7i, but it seems like you don't need a Trackman to tell you that on a driving range?

I doubt that his 7 and 8 iron swings are that different. He was talking about just a few mishits.

Also, he mentions putting the ball father forward will promote a draw/hook, but that doesn't seem to make sense. If anything, it'll put the ball closer to where the club head starts turning the corner and traveling left.

Colin P.

4 minutes ago, colin007 said:

I doubt that his 7 and 8 iron swings are that different. He was talking about just a few mishits.

Also, he mentions putting the ball father forward will promote a draw/hook, but that doesn't seem to make sense. If anything, it'll put the ball closer to where the club head starts turning the corner and traveling left.

A lot of the things stated in the article doesn't make sense. He's probably better off having a good instructor look at his swing rather than self diagnose? The measurements are great, but it seems like he still needs a good instructor to interpret what's happening. The Trackman website discusses this many times in their instructional videos.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Without instruction my numbers would have meant nothing to me. It was more than seeing the results we would review video and my instructor guided me to make adjustments that changed the swing numbers. By doing that I felt the changes.

I wouldn't want to make changes on my own because with enough fudging I can make the ball and my swing produce different result by cheating. My fear would be doing things wrong that lead to nasty habits from chasing numbers I thought were right.

Dave :-)

After taking Evolvr and learning about 5sk, I think I'm pretty good at identifying some obvious problems.  5sk makes it pretty easy to do.  Giving advice on how to solve the problems though, that's a whole 'nother ballgame and I don't feel very comfortable doing that.

And if someone has a pretty good swing, I often don't see anything at all to improve... but @mvmac does.

Same with trackman data I'd imagine.  You see a launch angle too low and/or a club head angle not square etc, but how do you know the best way to fix it?  I could still see someone wasting their time going down wrong paths.

• 3 weeks later...
Note: This thread is 3036 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!