My goals for last year were a bit more big picture than statistics, this year I think I'm going to go a little bit more balanced...
1) Break 80- My goal last year was to break 100, did that. Then I got the breaking 90 out of the way by shooting 87. I shot 39 on the back of that round, so I know I have the potential if I keep up the same amount of practice and commitment that I had last summer.
2) Average 36 Putts or Better per Round- This may seem easy to many of you, but really my putting is what's holding me back. To accomplish this goal, my putting is not the only thing that needs to get better (although that's a major part of it), but also my short game in getting up and down/closer to the pin (at least close enough to give myself a chance or put it to tap-in range) and my short iron play. I have to cut out the three putting as I average way too many of those a round.
3) Keep the Left Foot on the Ground Through the Entire Swing- This is one thing that I really hate about my swing and causes me to lose balance. I've fixed a lot of things about my swing, and this really needs to be fixed my the end of the year, no excuses.
3) Practice the Short Game More- Now that I have a place to do so, I really need to practice around the green more even if it's just once a week after my lesson. All aspects of my short game need work, especially bunker play. This summer I want to have more up and downs and give myself a better shot at par even if I don't get the GIR.
4) Stay Mentally Committed in Every Round- This includes thinking on every single shot and limiting blowup holes. It also includes letting said blowup hole not effecting the upcoming holes. Way too many times this year I would be putting together a pretty good stretch, but then a single decision derails a hole, or a single hole derails the round. Sometimes I just need to learn to take my medicine and play for bogey.
5) Play in at Least 3 Tournaments- I really want to start the tournament golf scene this upcoming season and I have my eye on a few tournaments through the Long Island Golf Association (Long Island Amateur, Long Island Open, Michael Hebron Amateur Championship). From what I can tell, they're open to anyone, and I would need to shoot somewhere in the mid 70's to make the first cut (around mid 80's not to embarrass myself...). Although I don't think I can make the cut just yet, I really think I can be competitive, and from past match play experiences I play even better under pressure. I just love that competitive atmosphere and it really focuses my thoughts for the entire round.
6) Shot a Combined 3-Over or Better on the Final 3 Holes at my Home Course- This one is pretty straight forward, and is one of my personal demons so to speak. The last 3 holes at my home course are by far the 3 toughest holes on the course, and they always give a little boost to my score by the end of the round. If I can conquer this goal, it will be a big thing for me.
7) Make the School Club Team by Junior Year- For my final goal, I need to be about an 8-10 handicap. I think I can get to this point by the end of nest summer, and really want this goal more than anything else. This is what I'm working for, and really believe that I can accomplish it.
I have many more goals than last year, although I feel like all of these are things that I can definitely achieve with enough work. Like last season, I want to be able to look back and clearly see my improvement. But this season, I want to be able to hit the objective goals as well so that I can measure directly how much better I've gotten. I really am looking forward to this season more than any other, and am gonna be struggling this whole off season with golf fever.