or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Callaway Introduces 2013 RAZR Fit Xtreme Driver
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Callaway Introduces 2013 RAZR Fit Xtreme Driver

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 

 

 

 

1000    1000 1000

 

 

1000

 

Great stuff here from David Dusek

 

Quote:

Phil Mickelson and Ernie Els both used Callaway's first adjustable driver, the RAZR Fit, for most of the 2012 season. So don't be surprised if both switch to the new RAZR Fit Xtreme in 2013.

"We believe that this is going to be the longest driver around because Callaway is the only company that could produce an adjustable driver using multi materials," says Alan Hocknell, Callaway's senior vice president of research and development.

Like its predecessor, Callaway designed the RAZR Fit Xtreme using super-light carbon composite materials in the crown, as well as titanium in the face. But the face used in the RAZR Fit Xtreme has been re-engineered, making it rounder, with material added to the high-toe area. It’s also thinner and taller from sole to crown.

According to Hocknell, Callaway drivers have been right at the USGA's COR limits, but these adjustments helped to create more ball speed outside the sweet spot and decrease spin by 200-300 rpm for a more boring trajectory.

"Having the face be a little taller gives us a little more latitude in doing that," he says.

Callaway has also designed the lower-lofted RAZR Fit Xtreme drivers differently from the higher-lofted models. so each is better suited the golfers who are likely to use them. The 8.5, 9.5 and 10.5 have 440-cc heads, which will allow more accomplished players to shape tee shots more easily, while the 11.5 and 13 models have 460-cc heads. The larger heads have a higher MOI that should increase forgiveness and help mid- and high-handicap golfers hit the ball straighter.

Callaway decided to go that route after studying data that showed testers using higher-lofted drivers created more sidespin, usually in the slice direction.

"So when we go by loft, we're not just changing the angle of the face relative to the ground," Hocknell says, "we're changing quite a lot of different variables. The CG height is changing, the CG bias is changing, the role radium [the curvature of the face from heel to toe] is changing based on loft, and that's based on the data we collected from our performance centers around the country."

As for adjustability, the RAZR Fit XTreme's face angle can be set into an open, neutral or closed setting. While the original RAZR Fit came with two adjustable weights—a 12-gram and a 2-gram—the RAZR Fit Xtreme comes standard with 13-gram and 1-gram weights.

"For years we've been trying to take weight out of the core of the head, the shell if you like, and do something else more useful with it," Hocknell says. "In this case, it's the same amount of weight, but the throw that you get is a little bit better, and that allowed us to move the toe-side screw a little more to the rear. When we did that, we could make the head a little bit smaller, as we have in the 440-cc ones, and not lose any MOI at all."

The stock shafts for the RAZR Fit Xtreme drivers will be the Aldila Trinity and Matrix 7M3 Black Tie shafts. The club should retail for about $399 in pro shops starting on Jan. 18.

 

post #2 of 20

Sweet!  When are we going for our fitting? c2_beer.gif

 

P.S.  Not sure why (probably because it's a little atypical) but I love the green.

post #3 of 20

Like it a lot, particularly the clean crown. Not keen on the green, but believe you'll be able to custom order different colors through Callaway's udesign program. Change the sole panel to either matte black or silver and it'll be wicked. The Black Tie is a great no-upcharge option considering it's a $300 shaft.

post #4 of 20

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I can't wait to get this bad boy in my paws. d3_drool.gif

post #5 of 20
Nice looking driver. I anticipate the 2014 model to have more "Z"s and "X"s in the name.
post #6 of 20

This is not a true statement:

 

"...Callaway is the only company that could produce an adjustable driver using multi materials," says Alan Hocknell, Callaway's senior vice president of research and development.

 

Other companies have produced multi-material drivers - they've abandoned them.

 

Ping and Bobby Jones are two examples.

 

I like the looks of this Callaway Driver - just wish it came with more stock shafts. How about a 54g shaft with a responsive tip in the higher lofts?

 

They have a video of this Trinity Shaft - in which they assembled a bunch of words that said nothing. It is a combo of the Phenom, NV, and RIP? What does that mean? How does it translate? Speak English, Callaway.

post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond View Post

I like the looks of this Callaway Driver - just wish it came with more stock shafts. How about a 54g shaft with a responsive tip in the higher lofts?

 

I think it is a nightmare to have to manage a supply chain of multiple shafts... So minimizing the choices is going to simplify their supply chain, reduce their inventory carrying cost, and helps prop up their net profit?  

 

Also, you can put any shaft you want in the driver... You just gotta cough up the extra cash. b2_tongue.gif

post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post

I think it is a nightmare to have to manage a supply chain of multiple shafts... So minimizing the choices is going to simplify their supply chain, reduce their inventory carrying cost, and helps prop up their net profit?  

 

Also, you can put any shaft you want in the driver... You just gotta cough up the extra cash. b2_tongue.gif

No - I'll just buy another driver. Let' say ... a Titleist that arrives with the choice of at least 4 stock shafts plus some others at no upcharge.

 

This is an era of lighter and more stable - it makes marketing sense to add a liteweight shaft.

 

b2_tongue.gif

 

At the least, when you have a video about stock shafts - how about saying something relevant about them?e2_whistling.gif

post #9 of 20

That's why they should have stuck with their iMix technology.  The manufacturers harp about the importance of club fitting and then they limit their stock shafts.  I don't see the point of being fit if ultimately you have only 2 stock shafts to choose from?  

 

The Nike Covert is going to provide 4 degrees of loft adjustment so you can adjust club loft from 8.5 - 12.5 without affecting face angle (unless you want to change that too).   Seems the manufacturers are going back to the one driver fits all so they can avoid supply chain issues. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post

I think it is a nightmare to have to manage a supply chain of multiple shafts... So minimizing the choices is going to simplify their supply chain, reduce their inventory carrying cost, and helps prop up their net profit?  

 

Also, you can put any shaft you want in the driver... You just gotta cough up the extra cash. b2_tongue.gif

post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post

That's why they should have stuck with their iMix technology.  The manufacturers harp about the importance of club fitting and then they limit their stock shafts.  I don't see the point of being fit if ultimately you have only 2 stock shafts to choose from?  

The Nike Covert is going to provide 4 degrees of loft adjustment so you can adjust club loft from 8.5 - 12.5 without affecting face angle (unless you want to change that too).   Seems the manufacturers are going back to the one driver fits all so they can avoid supply chain issues. 
Exactly. Anyone who understands finance can tell you why these mfg are doing what they are doing.
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post

I think it is a nightmare to have to manage a supply chain of multiple shafts... So minimizing the choices is going to simplify their supply chain, reduce their inventory carrying cost, and helps prop up their net profit?  

 

Also, you can put any shaft you want in the driver... You just gotta cough up the extra cash. b2_tongue.gif

Could be a licensing thing too, no?

post #12 of 20

Could someone tell me, and I'm sure I probably overlooked and missed it somewhere, but what is the stock shaft in this driver and weight of it?

post #13 of 20

Nevermind, I just found it in the description, but which of the two stock shafts is stiffer?

post #14 of 20

Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme: Some assembly required...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post

 

 

 

    1000

 

 

 

post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcollins120 View Post

Nevermind, I just found it in the description, but which of the two stock shafts is stiffer?

 

Unmodified Aldila Trinity 

X Flex 68g, 280cpm, 3.9deg torque, 104mm tip flex. .335" tip diameter
S Flex 67 g, 269 cpm, 4.5 deg torque, 112mm tip flex, .335" tip diameter
R Flex 64 g, 247 cpm, 5.4 deg torque, 124mm tip flex, .335" tip diameter
L Flex 63g, 229cpm, 6.3 deg torque, 129mm tip flex, .335" tip diameter


Unmodified Matrix Black Tie 7M3 

X flex 74g, 265cpm, 4.1deg torque, 85mm tip flex, .335" tip diameter
S Flex 71g, 253cpm, 4.2 deg torque, 90mm tip flex, .335" tip diameter
R Flex 69g, 243cpm, 4.4 deg torque, 93mm tip flex, .335" tip diameter

post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post

 

Unmodified Aldila Trinity 

X Flex 68g, 280cpm, 3.9deg torque, 104mm tip flex. .335" tip diameter
S Flex 67 g, 269 cpm, 4.5 deg torque, 112mm tip flex, .335" tip diameter
R Flex 64 g, 247 cpm, 5.4 deg torque, 124mm tip flex, .335" tip diameter
L Flex 63g, 229cpm, 6.3 deg torque, 129mm tip flex, .335" tip diameter


Unmodified Matrix Black Tie 7M3 

X flex 74g, 265cpm, 4.1deg torque, 85mm tip flex, .335" tip diameter
S Flex 71g, 253cpm, 4.2 deg torque, 90mm tip flex, .335" tip diameter
R Flex 69g, 243cpm, 4.4 deg torque, 93mm tip flex, .335" tip diameter

It's not about stiffness but about launch and spin.

 

The Black Tie is low launch and spin, with a higher weight, and is meant for better, high speed players, or guys that think they're good and put a lot of high launch and high spin with a bad but fast swing on the ball...

post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond View Post

This is not a true statement:

 

"...Callaway is the only company that could produce an adjustable driver using multi materials," says Alan Hocknell, Callaway's senior vice president of research and development.

 

Other companies have produced multi-material drivers - they've abandoned them.

 

Ping and Bobby Jones are two examples.

 

I like the looks of this Callaway Driver - just wish it came with more stock shafts. How about a 54g shaft with a responsive tip in the higher lofts?

 

They have a video of this Trinity Shaft - in which they assembled a bunch of words that said nothing. It is a combo of the Phenom, NV, and RIP? What does that mean? How does it translate? Speak English, Callaway.


My Srixon Z-Star has multi-materials as well, and just like the others, they abandoned it as well.

post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post

 

Unmodified Aldila Trinity 

Unmodified Matrix Black Tie 7M3 
 

I hope to test both of these shafts out later this month at the Ely test center and compare.  I'll do a review after we get back from Carlsbad - and post some numbers so you guys can make fun of my weak sauce swing. b2_tongue.gif  I'm thinking the Aldila shaft will be better suited for me... But would like to hit both to see.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Callaway Introduces 2013 RAZR Fit Xtreme Driver