or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › What do you think of Mark Crossfield?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What do you think of Mark Crossfield?

post #1 of 118
Thread Starter 

I was wondering if anyone has watching much of Mark Crossfield's youtube videos? And if you have, what do you think of his reviews/instructions?

post #2 of 118

I watch them quite a bit. He's very data centered, and he seems to be very good....but I'll wait for Mike and/or Erik for any final determinations...

post #3 of 118

IMO, his club reviews could be better (theyre not very scientific, IMO) but his lessons are pretty good, IMO.  Id say he's one of the better Youtube golf pros.

Theres some of his videos that Im not at all impressed with though.  He did a series of videos on shaft flex where he basically said that shaft flex doesnt matter (hit a series of shots with a PX 7.0 shaft and then with a Mizuno Orochi L-flex shaft and got similar numbers with them) that Im skeptical of.

post #4 of 118

Well, I dont need anyone to tell me what to think so Ill just say that I enjoy his videos. To me, as a rank beginner, his videos are very accessibly and easy to follow :)

 

Regards

 

Mailman

post #5 of 118

I've been a subscriber for over a year. I like his videos a lot, especially his new gear reviews where he basically says "yeah it's new and shiny, and not really any better than the last 2 versions of it". His tips are well thought out and easy to follow, although I will say that with how long he's been on YT, a lot of things he's saying have been covered by him in the past. Now the vids just look a lot better!

post #6 of 118

Good stuff, even if I don't agree with him now and then. He's good on camera and he entertains.

post #7 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russtopher View Post

I've been a subscriber for over a year. I like his videos a lot, especially his new gear reviews where he basically says "yeah it's new and shiny, and not really any better than the last 2 versions of it". His tips are well thought out and easy to follow, although I will say that with how long he's been on YT, a lot of things he's saying have been covered by him in the past. Now the vids just look a lot better!

I go on YouTube with pointed searches, I don't do subscriptions, and I don't follow anybody per say. That being said, the recent golf searches if I find him in the results, I am sure to watch it.

So that being said, I never know the vintage of the video I am watching, but I do feel like his videos are not as high quality as they could be. He has a fairly nice setup with the shop that opens to a large range, and his camera appears to be something just slightly better than an iPhone. Production quality isn't everything, but it feels like it is worth something and his isn't as nice as some of the other people on YouTube.
post #8 of 118
Not a fan of the bloody wanker.You get better stuff here and from other people out there-He's not the worst but Not the Best either.
post #9 of 118

I actually learned a lot from watching his videos when I first started out, before I was a member here and even now. I still find myself watching some of his rudimentary videos to "re-instill" the basics into my brain. When I was first having issues with my driver, I turned to his "proper grip" video and it really helped me a lot.

In the end, his videos are very informative and easy to follow. Sometimes it's not about the numbers and statistics and data for people, especially visual learners. Sometimes you just need somebody to show you what you are doing and the result that is coming from that mistake, followed by showing you the proper technique with the desired results thereafter.

I don't want to go off-topic or start a "Yay, Erik and Mike!" pow-wow or anything because we all know they are excellent at what they do and I am quite sure that they know that as well, but I have learned more through being a TST member than from watching any instructional videos.

In all, watching a few quick videos before my round in the early morning, or after my round, is always a pleasure and I usually search out Mark Crossfield first (4golfonline). I do find his accent entertaining though and I've heard of other people saying they cannot understand him either, which is odd because I find him very clear and easy to understand.

post #10 of 118

Im also tempted to do one of his clinic days as well.

 

Regards

 

Mailman

post #11 of 118

I quit like the guy, think he is pretty amusing.  May be a bit of a tosser but I would rather endure someone like him that seems to have a sense of humour than a prat any day.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer View Post

IMO, his club reviews could be better (theyre not very scientific, IMO) but his lessons are pretty good, IMO.  Id say he's one of the better Youtube golf pros.

Theres some of his videos that Im not at all impressed with though.  He did a series of videos on shaft flex where he basically said that shaft flex doesnt matter (hit a series of shots with a PX 7.0 shaft and then with a Mizuno Orochi L-flex shaft and got similar numbers with them) that Im skeptical of.

 

That review is my favourite by far, cracks me up every time.

post #12 of 118
Thread Starter 

My favorite Mark Crossfield sayings: "Let's get stuck in" "Alright, now let's give this one another wallop!!"

post #13 of 118
I like his videos a lot. He is one of the 2 YouTube guys I watch regularly - the other being Shawn clement.
post #14 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterms View Post

So that being said, I never know the vintage of the video I am watching, but I do feel like his videos are not as high quality as they could be. He has a fairly nice setup with the shop that opens to a large range, and his camera appears to be something just slightly better than an iPhone. Production quality isn't everything, but it feels like it is worth something and his isn't as nice as some of the other people on YouTube.

 

I think a lot of his older vids with 50k+ views tend to turn up a lot during searches, since they have so many views. I want to say around 5-6 months ago he moved to a multi-camera HD setup, so his vids look fantastic now in comparison with some of his vids from 2008 or so.

 

Shawn Clement, who Amazing Whacker mentioned, also now shoots HD vids. He doesn't post with the regularity that Mark does, but I find Shawn's vids to be very informative and easy to watch. I bought his Beginner and 5-disc video series last year, well worth it IMO for a beginner like me.

post #15 of 118

Ah Phil, your envy is  so obvious.  Mark has a good video personality and offers spot-on advice and technique instruction, all at very low cost.  I'm a fan of his. 

post #16 of 118

<3 him, more for entertainment than learning, but some stuff sinks in.

post #17 of 118
I find him kinda hard to watch, I thinks it's his speech patterns and accent that I find a little grating. Plus he's teaching in "a van down by the river" lol.

Shawn Clement seems pretty legit but whenever I watch him I feel like I'm watching a Will Ferrel spoof of a golf lesson.
post #18 of 118

I have very mixed feelings about him. Some of his reviews are great and others are absurdly biased. I don't watch his tutorials particularly as I have proper lessons but I reckon they could be good for people who want free advice.

 

I mainly watch him because he does more club reviews than anyone else I've found on youtube. I've found other channels but they only seem to review on average about one club a month whereas Mark Crossfield at least seems to bring out some sort of club review every few days.

 

Can anyone suggest youtube channels for pros doing frequent club reviews that they think are better?

 

Just to add, I'm not interested in reviews that simply regurgitate the companies product description (as lots seem to do).

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › What do you think of Mark Crossfield?