or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Small idea to make golf better ...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Small idea to make golf better ...

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 

PGA of America, USGA or some entity should step up and provide FREE ball repair tools at every golf course.  Provide a large, clear plastic container of these very inexpensive tools, (the slightly bent, 2-prong variety) on the counter where you pay with a TAKE ONE and USE IT sign.  Right next to the container would be a stand-up sign that shows how to use the tool to repair ball marks on the green.

 

Apparently, almost NOBODY carries a ball repair tool by the number of unrepaired ball marks on greens at the courses I've played so far this season.  The greens yesterday had back pin placements on about half the greens.  I fixed several to many ball marks on every green on the way to my ball or while scoping out putts.

 

If you guys play courses other than top-tier private clubs where they pay help to fix ball marks twice daily, you know what I'm talking about. 

 

For those of you who don't own one of these inexpensive tools, please buy one and USE it to repair your ball marks.

 

Thank you from a guy tired of repairing 50-100 or so ball marks during a round of golf.  And don't hit me a 'rules violation' for repairing a ball mark other than mine.  I don't care.  Rolling a putt on a clean line is more important.

 

dave

post #2 of 18

I tend to fix a lot myself.  I also fix divots in the fairway as I'm walking towards my ball.

 

There's a rule against fixing a ball mark that isn't your own?  

post #3 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by 26point2 View Post

I tend to fix a lot myself.  I also fix divots in the fairway as I'm walking towards my ball.

There's a rule against fixing a ball mark that isn't your own?  

I think as long as you repair after the putts, it's okay. Someone will chime in on this one.
post #4 of 18
You can repair ball marks anytime. You'll especially want to repair any on your intended line before you putt. Spike marks cannot be fixed if they are on your intended line until after you putt.
post #5 of 18

I'ts sad how many you can fix on one green alone, laziness is a real epidemic 

post #6 of 18
When I reach the green, I usually walk around and fix as many ball marks as I can while my playing partners are chipping on/hitting out of sandtrap/lag putting etc.

In this area especially, there aren't any "home"courses with players who frequent the same tracks often. It a lot of people who come into town for the week, play the course, and leave. As such, they seem to give no thought at all about the condition of the course AFTER they play it once. It's a shame.
post #7 of 18

I don't know if free tools will make people use them, but it probably wouldn't be a big expense if they got the slim and simple ones that actually work. I hate the fat pronged useless pieces of crap most courses got in their jars.

People are in general lazy and incosiderate. Perhaps a few days of Marhals around the greens that confront people that don't repair their pitch marks will help.

 

I usually fix those I can find on the green, limited by the time I got. On some courses I could never get them all, as there were too many.

post #8 of 18

Does having garbage bins placed everywhere with "Please Don't Litter" signs stop litterbugs?

The  same ignorant, selfish types who litter are the same as the ones who don't repair pitch marks.

Giving away free pitch repairers won't alleviate the problem. Most people already have one, and if they don't, a passable job can be done with a tee.

And as has been said already, the fact that you think that reapairing someone else's pitch mark is a rules violation means that you need to learn the rules.

post #9 of 18

I engaged my course superintendent yesterday about the fixing of ball marks and the proper method.  His opinion on the matter is that an uneducated golf ball mark fixer is worse than a non-fixer.  He would rather the people who don't know how to do it right to leave their marks for someone in their group who can do it right or someone in the following groups to fix it.  He said an improperly fixed ball mark will do damage to the green which could take a little while to repair hurting the overall play of the greens.  Whereas a left ball mark will only have to be a nuisance to those following and them having to take the time to fix them.  Obviously he is more concerned about the health of the greens and not necessarily your putt.

 

If you play at my course in the early evening when the sun is starting to go down, each green will look like a miniature battlefield with small holes every where.  The biggest problem that I see with repairing of ball marks aren't the big ones left when your ball is near by.  It's the medium or smaller sized ones that your ball leaves when you land it on the green and it keeps going off of the green.  I think people are so worried, pissed about the shot they hit and are going to hit that they just don't think or care to look for what the ball might have done.

post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCfanatic35 View Post
 I think people are so worried, pissed about the shot they hit and are going to hit that they just don't think or care to look for what the ball might have done.

That's giving selfish pigs the benefit of the doubt. 

And ......giving people things for free that they should already own will not change behaviour.

post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post

That's giving selfish pigs the benefit of the doubt. 

And ......giving people things for free that they should already own will not change behaviour.

I'm not giving them an excuse because it's inexcusable IMO.  Just trying to give my opinion of the possible justification these people have for not fixing ball marks or not realizing to look for them.  The types of unrepaired ball marks that I see are more of this kind and not the huge divots that are made by a great high shot hit to the green.  I fix every dimple and dent I can find on greens.  My club actually assigns members to a green by your last name.  My green to take extra special care of is hole 16.  I fix all greens, but do a once over the entire green and greenside bunkers each time I get to that particular green complex.

post #12 of 18

I thought most courses did have a box of the free wire type repair tools on the counter. That's not the type I use but I have several of those free ones in my bag that I picked up just in case somebody on the course needed one.

post #13 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
And as has been said already, the fact that you think that reapairing someone else's pitch mark is a rules violation means that you need to learn the rules.

 

So during the US Open telecast yesterday a commentator misspoke when saying that a player could only repair his own ball mark and must leave untouched anything between that player's ball and the hole along his putting line.

 

I don't profess to know and be able to recite every golf rule.  Neither can you, I'd bet.  I'm talking about repairing ball marks YOU make as a player along with others that were left behind by the ignorant.

 

I'm also stating that helping educate the ignorant, (whether they own a repair tool or not) on repairing ball marks and providing a free tool is a good thing.

 

dave 

post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutter View Post

I'ts sad how many you can fix on one green alone, laziness is a real epidemic 

It's not just laziness. Some people are just plain inconsiderate.

post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post

That's giving selfish pigs the benefit of the doubt. 

And ......giving people things for free that they should already own will not change behaviour.


As a new golfer I will say that I did not know what a ball mark was when I walked onto a course.  I think it's a pretty good idea, hell even having a sign on the door showing a picture of one and how to fix it would probably have some greens looking much better.

post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave s View Post

 

So during the US Open telecast yesterday a commentator misspoke when saying that a player could only repair his own ball mark and must leave untouched anything between that player's ball and the hole along his putting line.

 

I don't profess to know and be able to recite every golf rule.  Neither can you, I'd bet.  I'm talking about repairing ball marks YOU make as a player along with others that were left behind by the ignorant.

 

I'm also stating that helping educate the ignorant, (whether they own a repair tool or not) on repairing ball marks and providing a free tool is a good thing.

 

dave 

You can always repair a pitch mark, whether it's in your line or not. What you can't repair are spike marks. I have no idea what a commentator said but that is the rule. Usually if there is any doubt as to whether the damage is a pitch mark or a spike mark the player will ask the other competitor if they agree, or call a rules official for an opinion.

post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyrtleBeachGolf View Post

When I reach the green, I usually walk around and fix as many ball marks as I can while my playing partners are chipping on/hitting out of sandtrap/lag putting etc.

In this area especially, there aren't any "home"courses with players who frequent the same tracks often. It a lot of people who come into town for the week, play the course, and leave. As such, they seem to give no thought at all about the condition of the course AFTER they play it once. It's a shame.

Not a bad idea, but I'm usually the one hitting out the sand trap, chipping, etc...
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave s View Post

 

So during the US Open telecast yesterday a commentator misspoke when saying that a player could only repair his own ball mark and must leave untouched anything between that player's ball and the hole along his putting line.

More likely you misheard him.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Small idea to make golf better ...