or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Darren Clarke loses 40+ pounds w/an assist from...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Darren Clarke loses 40+ pounds w/an assist from...

post #1 of 58
Thread Starter 

Facetime! Trying to imagine a bodiless head baring orders from an iPad. There's gotta be an ad in this somewhere. The speaker isn't strong enough to convey drill sargeant volume.

 

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/golf/darren-clarke-sheds-weight-in-bid-for-more-glory-29897564.html

post #2 of 58

One of the guys I follow on FB posted this a few days ago.  I basically follow this plan.

 

*

post #3 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post

One of the guys I follow on FB posted this a few days ago.  I basically follow this plan.

*
I agree. I fast two days a week.
post #4 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleygolfer View Post


I agree. I fast two days a week.

 

I fast for 15-16 hours, usually start eating around 11 or noon, done by 8

post #5 of 58
I do the same. 12 p.m to 8 p.m. but on Tuesday and Wednesday I only eat 800 cal per day. You want at least 14 hours from the last meal for maximum metabolism. The two days is a more significant fast.
post #6 of 58

I don't fast ... no way. I eat frequently, or try to, so my body doesn't conserve fat.

 

I follow the semi-Clinton diet -- "as little fat as possible diet," except for 1-2 meals with meat per week sushi, chicken or filet), and then salads, low sodium soups, veggies, no dairy, oatmeal, limited oil (try to eat none but it's there) fruits, beans, and some bread (but not much)

 

 

From 176 to 169 (present weight) in two months without much exercise - winter, bad back, but stay active by doing honey do's without the honey...

 

Weight - for advancing middle aged guy

 

May 2009 - 197 lbs

 

August 2009 - 169 lbs

 

January 2010 - 183 (bad boy)

 

May 2011 to present - 168-176, now with recent diet change two months ago --

 

staying at 169-172.

post #7 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond View Post

I don't fast ... no way. I eat frequently, or try to, so my body doesn't conserve fat.

I follow the semi-Clinton diet -- "as little fat as possible diet," except for 1-2 meals with meat per week sushi, chicken or filet), and then salads, low sodium soups, veggies, no dairy, oatmeal, limited oil (try to eat none but it's there) fruits, beans, and some bread (but not much)


From 176 to 169 (present weight) in two months without much exercise - winter, bad back, but stay active by doing honey do's without the honey...

Weight - for advancing middle aged guy

May 2009 - 197 lbs

August 2009 - 169 lbs

January 2010 - 183 (bad boy)

May 2011 to present - 168-176, now with recent diet change two months ago --

staying at 169-172.

Eating more frequently does not speed your metabolism or help you lose weight. Your weight loss is due to a larger awareness of your consumption.
post #8 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond View Post
 

I don't fast ... no way. I eat frequently, or try to, so my body doesn't conserve fat.

 

I follow the semi-Clinton diet -- "as little fat as possible diet," except for 1-2 meals with meat per week sushi, chicken or filet), and then salads, low sodium soups, veggies, no dairy, oatmeal, limited oil (try to eat none but it's there) fruits, beans, and some bread (but not much)

 

 

From 176 to 169 (present weight) in two months without much exercise - winter, bad back, but stay active by doing honey do's without the honey...

 

Weight - for advancing middle aged guy

 

May 2009 - 197 lbs

 

August 2009 - 169 lbs

 

January 2010 - 183 (bad boy)

 

May 2011 to present - 168-176, now with recent diet change two months ago --

 

staying at 169-172.

 

 

 

Note, FAT DOES NOT MAKE YOU FAT. Just wanted to put that out there. The only real bad fat for people is anything hydrogenated. The science is still out on saturated fats, but compared to fats from Fish and Nuts, you could say eat saturated fats in low moderation compared to the others. Meaning, enjoy your steak once a week, but keep the rest to lean protein and fish. 

 

Fasting can be good for people. One it teaches people when they get hungry, instead of eating 3 meals a day. A lot of people get programmed into eating due to the 3 meals. If you fast you will learn what it is like to be hungry, and then you know when you don't need to eat. Of course, some people might not do well on fasting, but it has proven to work. Especially if people really need to loose weight. I recommend having a big dinner, then just fasting till lunch. Its recommended going at least 17 hours for the effects of fasting to happen, but 24 hours is better. 

 

Its also not all about calories. A lot of good research has proven that hormones play a big part. Especially Leptin, and how Leptin creates plateaus that cause the body to regress to previous weight levels easily. The primary reason being the body fights against starving. We are genetically wired to put on fat to not to starve. So when we go on a very strict, low calorie diet. If they jump off the wagon the body will put on fat faster than you have taken it off. Its the hormone that tells your body what its energy requirements are, and how much fat you have in your body. 

 

I always recommend eating natural, least processed. I go with the 80% rule. Don't let processed foods get past 20%, meaning you can have a cheat meal once in a while to keep you sane if you really want to. Basically the modern lifestyle is totally opposite of all the years humans have been around. We are able to eat foods year round we shouldn't be able to. The reasons for eating foods have now went from survival to pleasure and convenience. It isn't just being active in life, people have to eat correctly. That means not eating foods created to make you want to eat them (highly processed, high in sugar, high in fat). There is a reason why low fat foods always have a greater amount of sugar added. They wouldn't be able to sell them otherwise, it would taste horrible. 

 

I am not going to lecture on vegetarian, vegan, paleo, primal, Atkins, ect.. People have strong opinions on diet types. I am personally a higher protein intake diet person. It keeps you full longer, and up to 20% energy is required to burn protein. So my lifestyle would be lots of protein, throw in carbs sparingly, and as much veggies as I want. I don't eat as much fruit as I need to. I might invest in a juicer someday. I do enjoy nuts (not peanuts they are legumes, not nuts). I do eat out some, but try to keep it to less than once a week. I love to cook so that helps. 

 

Just realize that if you want to keep the weight off it is a struggle against a consumer marketplace that is developed to make you want to eat more than you want to.

post #9 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

 

 

 

Note, FAT DOES NOT MAKE YOU FAT. Just wanted to put that out there. The only real bad fat for people is anything hydrogenated. The science is still out on saturated fats, but compared to fats from Fish and Nuts, you could say eat saturated fats in low moderation compared to the others. Meaning, enjoy your steak once a week, but keep the rest to lean protein and fish. 

 

Fasting can be good for people. One it teaches people when they get hungry, instead of eating 3 meals a day. A lot of people get programmed into eating due to the 3 meals. If you fast you will learn what it is like to be hungry, and then you know when you don't need to eat. Of course, some people might not do well on fasting, but it has proven to work. Especially if people really need to loose weight. I recommend having a big dinner, then just fasting till lunch. Its recommended going at least 17 hours for the effects of fasting to happen, but 24 hours is better. 

 

Its also not all about calories. A lot of good research has proven that hormones play a big part. Especially Leptin, and how Leptin creates plateaus that cause the body to regress to previous weight levels easily. The primary reason being the body fights against starving. We are genetically wired to put on fat to not to starve. So when we go on a very strict, low calorie diet. If they jump off the wagon the body will put on fat faster than you have taken it off. Its the hormone that tells your body what its energy requirements are, and how much fat you have in your body. 

 

I always recommend eating natural, least processed. I go with the 80% rule. Don't let processed foods get past 20%, meaning you can have a cheat meal once in a while to keep you sane if you really want to. Basically the modern lifestyle is totally opposite of all the years humans have been around. We are able to eat foods year round we shouldn't be able to. The reasons for eating foods have now went from survival to pleasure and convenience. It isn't just being active in life, people have to eat correctly. That means not eating foods created to make you want to eat them (highly processed, high in sugar, high in fat). There is a reason why low fat foods always have a greater amount of sugar added. They wouldn't be able to sell them otherwise, it would taste horrible. 

 

I am not going to lecture on vegetarian, vegan, paleo, primal, Atkins, ect.. People have strong opinions on diet types. I am personally a higher protein intake diet person. It keeps you full longer, and up to 20% energy is required to burn protein. So my lifestyle would be lots of protein, throw in carbs sparingly, and as much veggies as I want. I don't eat as much fruit as I need to. I might invest in a juicer someday. I do enjoy nuts (not peanuts they are legumes, not nuts). I do eat out some, but try to keep it to less than once a week. I love to cook so that helps. 

 

Just realize that if you want to keep the weight off it is a struggle against a consumer marketplace that is developed to make you want to eat more than you want to.

Tell ya what --

 

I'll stay alive with my diet, you stay out of my diet, and

 

You eat your whatever...

 

But unless you're my cardiologist, I'm not going to read what you have to say...

 

I ate lots of protein, exercised a lot, and almost died twice... think I'll stick with what works for me.

post #10 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleygolfer View Post


Eating more frequently does not speed your metabolism or help you lose weight. Your weight loss is due to a larger awareness of your consumption.

Whatever works for you ... apparently you don't live near Dallas, where all of the radio nutritionists advise you to east a little bit every 2-3 hours...

post #11 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post

 



Note, FAT DOES NOT MAKE YOU FAT. Just wanted to put that out there. The only real bad fat for people is anything hydrogenated. The science is still out on saturated fats, but compared to fats from Fish and Nuts, you could say eat saturated fats in low moderation compared to the others. Meaning, enjoy your steak once a week, but keep the rest to lean protein and fish. 

Fasting can be good for people. One it teaches people when they get hungry, instead of eating 3 meals a day. A lot of people get programmed into eating due to the 3 meals. If you fast you will learn what it is like to be hungry, and then you know when you don't need to eat. Of course, some people might not do well on fasting, but it has proven to work. Especially if people really need to loose weight. I recommend having a big dinner, then just fasting till lunch. Its recommended going at least 17 hours for the effects of fasting to happen, but 24 hours is better. 

Its also not all about calories. A lot of good research has proven that hormones play a big part. Especially Leptin, and how Leptin creates plateaus that cause the body to regress to previous weight levels easily. The primary reason being the body fights against starving. We are genetically wired to put on fat to not to starve. So when we go on a very strict, low calorie diet. If they jump off the wagon the body will put on fat faster than you have taken it off. Its the hormone that tells your body what its energy requirements are, and how much fat you have in your body. 

I always recommend eating natural, least processed. I go with the 80% rule. Don't let processed foods get past 20%, meaning you can have a cheat meal once in a while to keep you sane if you really want to. Basically the modern lifestyle is totally opposite of all the years humans have been around. We are able to eat foods year round we shouldn't be able to. The reasons for eating foods have now went from survival to pleasure and convenience. It isn't just being active in life, people have to eat correctly. That means not eating foods created to make you want to eat them (highly processed, high in sugar, high in fat). There is a reason why low fat foods always have a greater amount of sugar added. They wouldn't be able to sell them otherwise, it would taste horrible. 

I am not going to lecture on vegetarian, vegan, paleo, primal, Atkins, ect.. People have strong opinions on diet types. I am personally a higher protein intake diet person. It keeps you full longer, and up to 20% energy is required to burn protein. So my lifestyle would be lots of protein, throw in carbs sparingly, and as much veggies as I want. I don't eat as much fruit as I need to. I might invest in a juicer someday. I do enjoy nuts (not peanuts they are legumes, not nuts). I do eat out some, but try to keep it to less than once a week. I love to cook so that helps. 

Just realize that if you want to keep the weight off it is a struggle against a consumer marketplace that is developed to make you want to eat more than you want to.
Tell ya what --

I'll stay alive with my diet, you stay out of my diet, and

You eat your whatever...

But unless you're my cardiologist, I'm not going to read what you have to say...

I ate lots of protein, exercised a lot, and almost died twice... think I'll stick with what works for me.

To be truthful, genetics plays more a part of your systemic health than anything. Cookie cutter recommendations for patients are not always the best for the patient. Vitamins like "K2" that aid in prevention of atherosclerosis naturally without side effects of the synthetic meds. If you are happy where you are, that's fine Desmond but scientific studies have proven that diet to be not as healthy as speculated. I say speculated because much of what is followed was just repeated enough and some how became truth.
post #12 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond View Post
 

Tell ya what --

 

I'll stay alive with my diet, you stay out of my diet, and

 

You eat your whatever...

 

But unless you're my cardiologist, I'm not going to read what you have to say...

 

I ate lots of protein, exercised a lot, and almost died twice... think I'll stick with what works for me.

 

Yes yes, @Mr. Desmond i heard that same response from you before in another thread. If what you are doing works for you, then do it. I would think the cardiologist recommends staying away from things like processed foods. I would suspect he/she recommended a lot of veggies, fruits, whole grains, specifically higher in fiber (spinach being very good at help cleaning out cholesterol because of its soluble fiber). That is all fine, it is way far away from what people typically eat that will cause them health issues in life. I suspect you and I are not that far off. I think protein is a hot button for you. I would think any cardiologist would recommend eating more whole foods and less processed foods. That is all I advocate. I do like higher protein myself, but if vegan or low protein works for you, then more power to you.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond View Post
 

Whatever works for you ... apparently you don't live near Dallas, where all of the radio nutritionists advise you to east a little bit every 2-3 hours...

 

It wont speed up your metabolism.

 

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/meal-frequency-and-energy-balance-research-review.html

 

If you want to read a review of a study done on meal frequency. This guy's website is pretty good stuff. Basically his summary quote,

 

Quote:
 

In any case, let me sum up the results of this review: Meal frequency per se has essentially no impact on the magnitude of weight or fat loss except for its effects on food intake. If a high meal frequency makes people eat more, they will gain weight. Because they are eating more. And if a high meal frequency makes people eat less, they will lose weight. Because they are eating less. But it’s got nothing to do with stoking the metabolic fire or affecting metabolic rate on a day to day basis. As the researchers state above:

We conclude that any effects of meal pattern on the regulation of body weight are likely to be mediated through effects on the food intake side of the energy balance equation.

And that’s that.

post #13 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleygolfer View Post


Eating more frequently does not speed your metabolism or help you lose weight. Your weight loss is due to a larger awareness of your consumption.

Whatever works for you ... apparently you don't live near Dallas, where all of the radio nutritionists advise you to east a little bit every 2-3 hours...

It is scientifically proven this does not work. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20339363;

post #14 of 58

I  don't know about speeding up metabolism -- I eat smaller meals, so I snack between meals - apple, orange, soup, etc.

 

I am basically a vegan who cheats ... since apparently studies have shown that vegans and protein eaters have similar incidents of heart failure ... so something is missing or in too much supply.


So I do moderation without emphasizing protein ... although I did sushi (dr.'s orders - salmon) and chicken last week.. and I avoid dairy. Typically, I will get dairy or an oil in prepared foods...

 

But mostly, I avoid processed foods ... and stay fresh...

 

And then a friend of mine gave me a bottle of Opus One 1996 for my birthday ... so it's time to break out a filet mignon, mushrooms, and ...

post #15 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleygolfer View Post
 

It is scientifically proven this does not work. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20339363;

So basically, eat more protein.

Good to know.

 

Thanks for the link.

post #16 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleygolfer View Post
 

It is scientifically proven this does not work. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20339363;

ummmm, I don't eat more frequently to lose weight, I eat more frequently because I'm hungry.

 

But what is eating more frequently?

 

Most people snack ... but snack on crap...

 

I eat at let's say 7 - oatmeal/fruit/coffee/tea

 

By 10 - I eat an apple.

 

By 12, a light lunch

 

By 2, another apple or pear

 

By 5-6, a light dinner

 

After dinner, some fruit.

 

___

 

Big meals make me fatigued ... so to avoid that, I eat smaller, but put something in my body more frequently. Most people do the same. But instead of fruit, it's a Snickers or a Baby Routh.

 

BTW, good on D. Clarke...

post #17 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukari View Post
 

So basically, eat more protein.

Good to know.

 

Thanks for the link.

When you go in for that quad bypass when you're 65, you'll thank him even more...

 

Unsolicited advice: Don't be a glutton ... be reasonable with protein. Don't eat it at every meal, and when you do, go for lower cholesterol meats and smaller portions - about the size that fits in the palm of your hand....

post #18 of 58
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond View Post
 

When you go in for that quad bypass when you're 65, you'll thank him even more...

 

Unsolicited advice: Don't be a glutton ... be reasonable with protein. Don't eat it at every meal, and when you do, go for lower cholesterol meats and smaller portions - about the size that fits in the palm of your hand....

 

I always liked "Eat a little bit of everything." I think it's French. I'd add:

 

  • eat less
  • eat lots of veggies & fruits
  • minimize processed food
  • Try and stay away from fat, sugar and salt
  • Exercise: walk, weights whatever, it doesn't have to be super intense, but don't slack
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Darren Clarke loses 40+ pounds w/an assist from...