or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Kate Upton upset, but misinformed, about country club policy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Kate Upton upset, but misinformed, about country club policy

post #1 of 209
Thread Starter 

 

Evaluating Golf Coverage By Handling Of Kate Upton's Tweet 

Taking time away from her Mensa studies, Kate Upton Tweeted her outrage at an L.A. Country Club membership policy that doesn't even exist, nor has it ever. That anyone ran with this as a story was only mildly appalling, but how the various online outlets played this "news" was telling.

GolfChannel.com ran with it, then quickly updated the story after talking to the club and fixed the headline on their homepage to reflect the lack of accuracy in Ms. Upton's Tweet. FromBailey Moiser:

Let's start with the bad: Kate, you've been misinformed. But the good news: women can play there anytime of day.

LACC General Manager Kirk Reese told GolfChannel.com that "(Women not being allowed to play before noon) is absolutely not true," and the club "has had female members since 1898."

There are plenty of private clubs that have restrictions on women play, but it appears LACC is not one of them. So while Upton missed the mark on this one, we do appreciate her using her celebrity to bring the injustices in the golf world to light.

GolfDigest.com's Luke Kerr-Dineen also posted on the Tweet and quickly updated it with a notation that Upton was entirely mistaken.

At golf.com, home to the SI and Golf Magazinebrands, Josh Sens posted an item that did not clarify the Tweet was based on completely inaccurate information, and golf.com has allowed the item to remain in its top stories as is with incendiary user comments based on reader comments. **24 hours later, the item has been corrected!

 

 

post #2 of 209

Note to self:

 

Step 1:  Tweet outrage about horrible policy that exists at Cypress Point CC

Step 2:  ????

Step 3:  Profit.

 

 


Seriously though, that may not be true about LACC, but it's true elsewhere.  My brother's club does not allow women until after noon on Saturdays, and they don't allow men until after noon on Tuesdays.

post #3 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

 


Seriously though, that may not be true about LACC, but it's true elsewhere.  My brother's club does not allow women until after noon on Saturdays, and they don't allow men until after noon on Tuesdays.

My club is the same way, no men before 11 on Tuesday and no women on course before noon on Saturdays.  I see nothing wrong with it.

post #4 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post

My club is the same way, no men before 11 on Tuesday and no women on course before noon on Saturdays.  I see nothing wrong with it.

I see plenty wrong with it. The usual justification made is that women are slower players than men. Well, most women may be slower than most men, but one time when I played with a woman with a 4 handicap there wasn't much doubt about which of us was quicker round the course, and it wasn't me. And doesn't it strike you as revealing that the women are excluded at the most popular time, while the men are excluded at a time when very few people have the time to play?

It's discrimination, pure and simple. If clubs want to protect certain tee times for the better golfers, they should do so by excluding high handicappers from those times, irrespective of gender.
post #5 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post

My club is the same way, no men before 11 on Tuesday and no women on course before noon on Saturdays.  I see nothing wrong with it.

Doesn't seem fair if you ask me.. I mean Saturday is a day off while Tuesday is not, and this trying to equate the two is a stretch in my opinion.. Basically the owners thought to them selves, ok well stop women from playing Saturday morning, but we don't want them to think we discriminate so let us not allow men to play Tuesday morning... Brilliant!! Yeah, not so much! Micky mouse? Yes!
post #6 of 209

Private country clubs have predominantly more men than women golfers so it makes sense to appeal to the members that pay the dues.

post #7 of 209

Private courses are different and in my experience the members don't care about stuff like this. They know when they can play and when they can't and it's nbd. Members play enough golf that they aren't starved for more. If you can afford to join a club chances are you take time away from work to do more than golf. Other situations will come up where the course is reserved for whatever. At my parent's club there has been a tournament every weekend for the last month, can't get a time on Sat or Sun until after 2PM. I saw no outrage when I was there.

post #8 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post

Private country clubs have predominantly more men than women golfers so it makes sense to appeal to the members that pay the dues.

Sorry, that makes no sense at all. The women members pay their dues just like the men. Why should they be given an inferior service? Imagine if a club decided that because most of its members were white, black members (despite paying the same dues) couldn't play at the weekend? Sound OK to you?
post #9 of 209
I'm assuming there are no women who pay dues at the club then? Because if there is it would definitely be borderline don't you agree?
post #10 of 209

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instruction/2013-12/kate-upton-and-arnold-palmer

 

Yeah look at her form. If someone really doesn't golf why complain about this. Publicity wh*res are everywhere today. Complain to just complain.

post #11 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasm View Post


Sorry, that makes no sense at all. The women members pay their dues just like the men. Why should they be given an inferior service? Imagine if a club decided that because most of its members were white, black members (despite paying the same dues) couldn't play at the weekend? Sound OK to you?


His point is they don't golf as much, and they don't. At my parents club the men's league has roughly 4x times as many members as the women's league. They aren't denied services they have their own times. The board votes on this stuff. Trust me the women members are cool with it.

post #12 of 209
This isnt fair to you but youd probably support banning gay people from the course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu3baid View Post

Doesn't seem fair if you ask me.. I mean Saturday is a day off while Tuesday is not, and this trying to equate the two is a stretch in my opinion.. Basically the owners thought to them selves, ok well stop women from playing Saturday morning, but we don't want them to think we discriminate so let us not allow men to play Tuesday morning... Brilliant!! Yeah, not so much! Micky mouse? Yes!
Women tend to be slow but they've gotten better. THeyre just more social typically and less worried about competing. They also follow the rules more frequently - but this means finishing out even two-inch putts.
post #13 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2512 View Post


His point is they don't golf as much, and they don't. At my parents club the men's league has roughly 4x times as many members as the women's league. They aren't denied services they have their own times. The board votes on this stuff. Trust me the women members are cool with it.

I understand his point, and yours. And they still don't make sense.

Your problem is that you assume "they" - meaning all women - don't play golf as much. Well, maybe most don't. But some will. Why should the keen female golfer, who plays as well as or better than 90% of the men, and pays her dues just like them, be excluded from the course at popular times, when the male hacker who plays once a month and can't break 100 in five hours, is entitled?

It's pitiful, frankly. And saying that women are cool with it doesn't help. You might be surprised how many women are pissed at how they are treated, but say nothing because they know there's no prospect of anything changing.
post #14 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McGleno View Post

This isnt fair to you but youd probably support banning gay people from the course.

Nice comment there Phill... But you would be wrong.. Try again.

My comment still stands, and as the other poster said if you are going to regulate play do it by handicap, that is the fairest way..
post #15 of 209
Youre the one who hates gay people and think-Without a doubt-it is a choice and a deviant bad evil one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu3baid View Post

Nice comment there Phill... But you would be wrong.. Try again.

My comment still stands, and as the other poster said if you are going to regulate play do it by handicap, that is the fairest way..
post #16 of 209

Uhm, so this thread's about Kate Upton, not gay people. Please leave other discussions in the other threads.

post #17 of 209

You guys realize that these women all know the policy before they join right??  And I think that @newtogolf is right that it has most to do with the fact that there are a heck of a lot more men at these clubs than women.

post #18 of 209

Maybe more men golfers than women golfers but clubs typically have plenty of women members.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Kate Upton upset, but misinformed, about country club policy