or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › The Grill Room › What programming languages do you use/know/prefer?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What programming languages do you use/know/prefer?

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 
I've come to realize that many users of this site are computer programmers or are in related fields. I'm curious: what language(s) do you use/know/prefer? I don't intend this to be yet another tired "Which is the best, Prolog or Scheme?" internet thread, but rather a place to throw out experience listings.
post #2 of 26

I know (I'm going to try to list a few, but obviously the variants are included even if I forget to list them specifically…):

 

PHP

JavaScript

C/C++/Objective-C/Swift

Java

Perl

Python

Ruby

Lisp

Assembler (6800 series mostly)

BASIC

LOGO

AppleScript

 

I use a bunch of markup languages too (HTML, MarkDown, etc.) but those don't count. On a daily basis, I work with PHP/JavaScript/HTML/AppleScript, and the C languages listed.

 

I think that is a nearly complete list.

 

P.S. The last time I used LOGO, Assembler, or BASIC was, predictably, quite a while ago.

post #3 of 26
I prefer my programming to be in English, but I can follow Spanish too, if it's light....

a2_wink.gif
post #4 of 26
Assembler - for MVS/ZOS
COBOL
SAS
fortran
PL1


OS that I support

MVS/ZOS
Windows
Linux
Unix
ISeries

Been in IT operations for 40 years ...
post #5 of 26
In the order I learned: Basic, forth, pl1, pascal, fortran, 6502asm, 68000asm, x86 which I only did minimal since the instruction set is terrible and I hate the paging scheme, 32010dsp, 32050dsp, adsp2100 asm, 56000dsp, 64x DSP, verilog, vhdl (limited), c, c++, Arm v4-6 asm limited use.

I took classes in APL and Lisp, but promptly forgot them in favor of matlab and smalltalk. But forgot smalltalk.

In fact I pretty much need to refresh any of the assembler codes to be effective at programming them.

My current languages are c and verilog (using Lattice FPGA at work, and Altera with a couple Xilinx tasks down the pipeline).

My favorite OS for programming is Linux in Ubuntu, but for FPGA work, half PC and half Linux.
post #6 of 26

Languages I learned in H.S. and college

  • BASIC
  • Assembly VICMON - VIC 20
  • Assembly MS DOS
  • FORTRAN
  • PASCAL
  • DELPHI
  • PL/1
  • COBOL
  • Prolog
  • Lisp
  • Smalltalk

 

Was trained and certified as Microsoft Certified Software Engineer

  • Windows Programming in C / C++ with MFC

 

Taught myself

  • HTML
  • Java
  • JavaScript
  • PERL
  • JQuery
  • PHP with MySQL
post #7 of 26
The first version I learned was Borland, then we were all forced to use Foundation Class. Eventually .NET.

I miss Delphi, but I do mostly HW, and use QT in Linux when I need SW GUIs. Linus is cheaper to deploy anyway.
post #8 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post

The first version I learned was Borland, then we were all forced to use Foundation Class. Eventually .NET.

I miss Delphi, but I do mostly HW, and use QT in Linux when I need SW GUIs. Linus is cheaper to deploy anyway.

I never got into Linux, I bought one version of it (RedHat) and never really liked it compared to Windows.

 

First Pascal I learned was Turbo Pascal, but most of the other languages were on the Multics mainframe so had to learn EMACS and VI for editing software.

post #9 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post

I never got into Linux, I bought one version of it (RedHat) and never really liked it compared to Windows.

My first Linux was RedHat, installed on an eMachine my dad was done with. What a terrible experience. It put me off Linux for a few years. Now I'm on Ubuntu, have been for five years or so, and I love it. The only time I even dig out a Windows machine is for when I need to add a course to my Callaway uPro (despite a company rep's promise, I've yet to be able to get it to work with Ubuntu).
post #10 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post
 

I never got into Linux, I bought one version of it (RedHat) and never really liked it compared to Windows.

 

First Pascal I learned was Turbo Pascal, but most of the other languages were on the Multics mainframe so had to learn EMACS and VI for editing software.

 

I learned it on a CPM-68K OS on a 68000 system.

post #11 of 26

I use to program, back in the day.   I started with the old IBM 360 / 370  main frames before PCs were invented.  Punch cards were the worst.  I graduated from college with all kinds of programming languages that are now obsolete and have probably forgotten more than I realize.  I was too late (work and family) to get into web based software so I just enjoy others work.   I don't work in the IT industry but enjoy PCs.

post #12 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennyjones View Post

I use to program, back in the day.   I started with the old IBM 360 / 370  main frames before PCs were invented.  Punch cards were the worst.  I graduated from college with all kinds of programming languages that are now obsolete and have probably forgotten more than I realize.  I was too late (work and family) to get into web based software so I just enjoy others work.   I don't work in the IT industry but enjoy PCs.

You can find simulators for most of the languages, in your spare time to reminisce in your old programming days. a2_wink.gif
post #13 of 26

I'm primarily a SQL / database guy, but I work with:

 

VB/C# .NET

PASCAL That's right. Our MS Business system still has it.

Crystal Reports It's like BASIC, but it really isn't.

 

Going Further Back:

BASIC

COBOL

C/C++ Mac and PC

Hypercard

It ran on VMS, but I'm not really sure it had a name.

A bunch of others I would rather forget

post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by isukgolf View Post

Assembler - for MVS/ZOS
COBOL
SAS
fortran
PL1


Been in IT operations for 40 years ...

Same for me, but I've only been in IT for 30 years.  And you can add SQL, right now I'm doing a lot of data mining for a testing team.

post #15 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpuckeroo View Post
 

Same for me, but I've only been in IT for 30 years.  And you can add SQL, right now I'm doing a lot of data mining for a testing team.


You've got me beat by about 10 years and @isukgolf by about 20. :surrender:

post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlSpackler View Post
 


You've got me beat by about 10 years and @isukgolf by about 20. :surrender:

 

 

I been in IT since 1974 ... 40 years ... you have 60 yrs?  That is really cool and my hat is off to ya!   

 

I love talking about MVS/JES2 ... not too many of us anymore ... :) 

post #17 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by isukgolf View Post
 

 

 

I been in IT since 1974 ... 40 years ... you have 60 yrs?  That is really cool and my hat is off to ya!   

 

I love talking about MVS/JES2 ... not too many of us anymore ... :) 


Nope. Other direction. ;-)

post #18 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by isukgolf View Post
 

 

 

I been in IT since 1974 ... 40 years ... you have 60 yrs?  That is really cool and my hat is off to ya!   

 

I love talking about MVS/JES2 ... not too many of us anymore ... :) 

 

I don't know what kind of IT they did back in the days when there was only one thread running. B-)

http://www.computerhistory.org/timeline/?year=1954

 

I would imagine that there is a lot of actual debugging of the circuits, though. http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/images/h96000/h96566k.jpg

 

EDIT Oops Multi-threaded computers were around in the 50s: http://people.cs.clemson.edu/~mark/multithreading.html

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Grill Room
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › The Grill Room › What programming languages do you use/know/prefer?