or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Can Overswinging Cause Flipping?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Can Overswinging Cause Flipping?

post #1 of 36
Thread Starter 
So I think I saw someone mention that overswinging could possibly be a cause for casting/flipping because with a longer swing, you instinctively throw the hands sooner because that's the only way you'll get to the ball back in time with your body? Does this sound right?

And that conversely, a shorter backswing helps promote forward shaft lean?
post #2 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by colin007 View Post

So I think I saw someone mention that overswinging could possibly be a cause for casting/flipping because with a longer swing, you instinctively throw the hands sooner because that's the only way you'll get to the ball back in time with your body? Does this sound right?

And that conversely, a shorter backswing helps promote forward shaft lean?


Speaking just for me:

 

Now I'm more likely to flip at the ball when making a less than full swing and more likely with a shorter club than a longer club. Less likely with a full swing.

 

When I first started playing I would was more likely to start casting from the top when trying to hit the ball as far (or farther) than I could and what little technique I had would completely break down. I was trying to hit directly at the ball from the top of the swing with my hands instead of starting from the ground up.

post #3 of 36
I think it definitely can cause flipping. I do much better with key #3 when I take a shorter back swing.
post #4 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS256 View Post


Speaking just for me:

Now I'm more likely to flip at the ball when making a less than full swing and more likely with a shorter club than a longer club. Less likely with a full swing.

That seems counterintuitive. Why do you think that's so?
post #5 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by colin007 View Post

So I think I saw someone mention that overswinging could possibly be a cause for casting/flipping because with a longer swing, you instinctively throw the hands sooner because that's the only way you'll get to the ball back in time with your body? Does this sound right?

 

Absolutely. When I think of overswinging I picture a "narrow" look at the top of the backswing. The player has to start releasing the wrist angles at a fast rate to get the club head on some acceptable route to hit the ball. A common reason for overswinging is not pivoting enough. The arms and shaft keep loading while the body stalls resulting in a "narrow" look at the top of the backswing. 

 

Here are some "tips" on how to shorten the backswing

http://thesandtrap.com/t/75792/tips-on-shortening-the-backswing#post_1020442

post #6 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by colin007 View Post


That seems counterintuitive. Why do you think that's so?


I suppose it's because it takes very little energy to start unhinging lag early when my swing isn't as fast.

 

With a faster swing the centrifugal force holds the lag in place longer.

 

If I try to swing too ridiculously hard I push off of my back foot and transfer all of the weight to my front foot (to a fault). My typical miss if I over swing like that is for the club head to never catch up and leave the club face open. Also a tendency for the club path to be in to out to an extreme. 

 

Result is a very long straight ball to the right (and sometimes WAY WAY right).

 

In other words if I start getting out of control I take a few desirable things to such an extreme that they turn into a negative.

post #7 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS256 View Post
 

My typical miss if I over swing like that is for the club head to never catch up and leave the club face open. Also a tendency for the club path to be in to out to an extreme. 

 

Result is a very long straight ball to the right (and sometimes WAY WAY right).

 

In other words if I start getting out of control I take a few desirable things to such an extreme that they turn into a negative.

This happens to me as well. It's really easy for me to take something good and over do it. One day I'll learn to not "take the whole bottle".

post #8 of 36

I've been swinging a lot easier lately; I used to overswing a hell of a lot and not doing so has improved the consistency of my ballstriking quite a bit, even if it means a slight loss of distance and hitting up a club.

post #9 of 36

Probably for some. For me, when I overswing, I tend to yank the handle and stay too far ahead of the club head causing a slice.

post #10 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamajeff View Post

Probably for some. For me, when I overswing, I tend to yank the handle and stay too far ahead of the club head causing a slice.

You're probably pulling the club left, sending the plane left before you reach the ball.
post #11 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS256 View Post


I suppose it's because it takes very little energy to start unhinging lag early when my swing isn't as fast.

With a faster swing the centrifugal force holds the lag in place longer.

If I try to swing too ridiculously hard I push off of my back foot and transfer all of the weight to my front foot (to a fault). My typical miss if I over swing like that is for the club head to never catch up and leave the club face open. Also a tendency for the club path to be in to out to an extreme. 

Result is a very long straight ball to the right (and sometimes WAY WAY right).

In other words if I start getting out of control I take a few desirable things to such an extreme that they turn into a negative.

That sounds like a clubface issue, not a path issue.
post #12 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by colin007 View Post

That sounds like a clubface issue, not a path issue.

Yep. I did that yesterday. Ball in some thick rough and I had to clear some trees to make the green. Took one less club and tried to swing harder. Maybe I left it open or the grass grabbed the club. At any rate, I hit it about 30* to the right. I then hit a 50-60 yard pitch to 5 feet of the pin. Missed the putt! a4_sad.gif

Anytime you swing harder, timing certainly becomes an issue.
post #13 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin007 View Post


You're probably pulling the club left, sending the plane left before you reach the ball.

 

No, I'm definitely hitting the ball from the inside. The guys I was playing with were saying I was coming way too far from the inside. I am one of the few people who can have an in-out path and still push slice/fade. 

 

I played Saturday and finally started to figure things out through trial and error(hopefully). My fix was to stand more upright and closer to the ball. Have a very vertical shoulder turn on the back swing and in transition as I started the downswing, twist the club to feel like my wrist was bowing similar to Dustin Johnson.  I hit 5 really good drives in a row which is unheard of for me. 

post #14 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by colin007 View Post


That sounds like a clubface issue, not a path issue.


It's both. I'm not guessing here.

post #15 of 36
Over swinging, compared to what ? What is the over ?
post #16 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chgogolfcoach View Post

Over swinging, compared to what ? What is the over ?

Meaning the arms keep going after the body/shoulders stop turning. For me, it's a flexibility issue. I can easily turn past 90 degrees shoulder turn and then continue with the arms even after my shoulders stop.
post #17 of 36
My point is that over swinging does not necessarily cause a flip, actually probably one of the least reasons for a flip. Case in point would be Jamie Sadlowski, Bubba, countless others who do what you describe
post #18 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS256 View Post

 

If I try to swing too ridiculously hard I push off of my back foot and transfer all of the weight to my front foot (to a fault). My typical miss if I over swing like that is for the club head to never catch up and leave the club face open. Also a tendency for the club path to be in to out to an extreme. 

 

Result is a very long straight ball to the right (and sometimes WAY WAY right).

 

This was my overswing miss too, forever.  Though I don't get my weight forward to a fault!  But otherwise the same.  Overswing leads to hands behind.  They chase to catch up but leave the club behind and I leave the face open.  Though I've discovered that I naturally hit with the toe down.  In trying to keep the hands "lower" at impact for a level club at impact, my overswing miss is changing.  If I leave the hands behind from the top I'll come from way inside but get the face closed and hit a huge hook.  Or I'll try to rotate back into a better position from the overswing at the top and hit an OTT pull hook.  Isn't golf fun!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Instruction and Playing Tips
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Can Overswinging Cause Flipping?