IGNORED

Golf Motivation

bones75
Note: This thread is 1851 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This may seem a stoopid sounding topic, and isn't exactly pointed... but my friend's experience in my other thread (https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/99619-over-under-on-improvement-in-1-month/) as well as my own current experience made me think about our "golf motivation" again.

Me and my friends are all mid 40's+ now, have all gotten the "golf bug" and we've all gotten out of it at some points (willingly or unwillingly because of life). That said, I've recently gotten back on, as well as others close to me because we have an annual golf trip coming up.

It's amazing how focused you can get in golf. Not just in making time, but in how you play and practice. If you look at an average range session or round from me 6 months ago, compared to now, the difference in focus and "playing/practicing with a purpose" is just staggering. My mom took up golf in her 60's as a thing to do. She would tell me her teacher would laugh at how fast she hit balls on the range. Like all she was trying to do was get through the bucket asap and say to herself: "things to do today: practice golf: Done!". I would laugh with her thinking she just wasn't really motivated to get better and going through the motions... but looking back at my own range sessions six months ago, I feel like I'm the pot calling the kettle black.

Yet I still got my ass to the range back then, so obviously I was "mostivated" in some sense to get better. But it was just awful practice compared to now. I've improved dramatically (not as dramatic as my friend in the aforementioned thread) in the last 1-2 months. I only play/practice slightly more often than before, but I'm doing drills on the range, focusing on my routine at the course, etc... 

This is just an open thought post looking for shared experiences. there's no mystery on why I'm so motivated right now (annual golf trip!), but I'm also kinda sad cuz I know after the trip I could just fall back to my usual ways. I can't even say I'm looking for a way to get more golf motivated for other parts of the year. I always have fun playing and trash talking on the course, and I'm okay w/ my life priorities, with "truly improving on golf" simply not a top one on the larger scale.  But for non-golf-related careers, isn't that what it should be?  Or maybe I am looking for a way to get more "golf motivated":... as I'm still impressed at how much I've improved the last month+, while investing almost the same amount of time in golf as I do usually.

I can't see why this isn't generally the same as any other of life's endeavor (health, self improvement etc..), but like i said, I got the "golf bug" big time right now, so it's all I think about!

8 minutes ago, bones75 said:

This may seem a stoopid sounding topic, and isn't exactly pointed... but my friend's experience in my other thread (https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/99619-over-under-on-improvement-in-1-month/) as well as my own current experience made me think about our "golf motivation" again.

Me and my friends are all mid 40's+ now, have all gotten the "golf bug" and we've all gotten out of it at some points (willingly or unwillingly because of life). That said, I've recently gotten back on, as well as others close to me because we have an annual golf trip coming up.

It's amazing how focused you can get in golf. Not just in making time, but in how you play and practice. If you look at an average range session or round from me 6 months ago, compared to now, the difference in focus and "playing/practicing with a purpose" is just staggering. My mom took up golf in her 60's as a thing to do. She would tell me her teacher would laugh at how fast she hit balls on the range. Like all she was trying to do was get through the bucket asap and say to herself: "things to do today: practice golf: Done!". I would laugh with her thinking she just wasn't really motivated to get better and going through the motions... but looking back at my own range sessions six months ago, I feel like I'm the pot calling the kettle black.

Yet I still got my ass to the range back then, so obviously I was "mostivated" in some sense to get better. But it was just awful practice compared to now. I've improved dramatically (not as dramatic as my friend in the aforementioned thread) in the last 1-2 months. I only play/practice slightly more often than before, but I'm doing drills on the range, focusing on my routine at the course, etc... 

This is just an open thought post looking for shared experiences. there's no mystery on why I'm so motivated right now (annual golf trip!), but I'm also kinda sad cuz I know after the trip I could just fall back to my usual ways. I can't even say I'm looking for a way to get more golf motivated for other parts of the year. I always have fun playing and trash talking on the course, and I'm okay w/ my life priorities, with "truly improving on golf" simply not a top one on the larger scale.  But for non-golf-related careers, isn't that what it should be?  Or maybe I am looking for a way to get more "golf motivated":... as I'm still impressed at how much I've improved the last month+, while investing almost the same amount of time in golf as I do usually.

I can't see why this isn't generally the same as any other of life's endeavor (health, self improvement etc..), but like i said, I got the "golf bug" big time right now, so it's all I think about!

I certainly understand this. I’ve been back and forth with golf for about 40 years. It wasn’t until about the time I joined here several years ago that I really got crazy about it. Meaning addicted. Not only to playing again but actually becoming a solid player. No more compensations, quick tips, Golf Digest crap... but really learn what the best at this game do. But yes golf is special. It really gets you hooked. I think it being so difficult contributes to that. I have friends who play in pick up softball, basketball and volleyball games. Some are in leagues. Not a single one of them consider practicing, ever. They enjoy playing that sport but there’s no drive to ‘improve.’  I can spend hours and hours practicing golf. The environment, being outside and of course nothing feels better than a solid golf shot than any other action in any sport I’ve played. 

Motivation? Well you may have it or not. But it’s always safe to say no matter how well you play or strike a shot...you can always do it better or at least do it more often if you stick with it.

• Like 2

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This post makes a lot of sense to me.  In my youth, I play a LOT of golf. At such as two/three rounds per week. Got myself down to single digit HC.  

But life took a change with graduate school  and working on establishing myself in my profession. Golf was still an interest but twice weekly took a rewrite into once or twice monthly.  While I needed to upgrade my weapons, that always seem to take an approach into "next month". 

Golf became an every now and then event until my son got the bug. We played often as a good course that was reasonable in price was in walking distance.

That was good until my son went off to college and I was dealing with a divorce.

Soon I moved to Singapore (WAY too expensive even to go to a range) followed up with a serious foot injury and the need for stents fo the heart.  

To bring this tale to a close, I went about 2 decades + with no golf.  I have returned with a renewed passion for the game and am now enjoying it is both my personal time away from too much attention to politics and, simply put, exercise to keep my health good.

Health became my first motivation and, because I have improved my game a bit, the fun factor has added on. Many of my rounds consist of me either playing alone or filling in to finish a foursome.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

For me my "golf crazy time" happened in my late teens and early 20's. I lived at the range and worked like a demon at the game. I got pretty good, shooting around par and even breaking par on occasion. Then life got in the way and I just didn't have the time. So, that ability floated away from me. Nowadays, at 66 years of age, the question has shifted from improvement to maintenance! 

On 3/28/2019 at 6:07 PM, Vinsk said:

I have friends who play in pick up softball, basketball and volleyball games. Some are in leagues. Not a single one of them consider practicing, ever. They enjoy playing that sport but there’s no drive to ‘improve.’  I can spend hours and hours practicing golf. 

I never really thought of this before. It does seem to be much more unique to golf than to other sports. I like the thought a lot :)

Golf is way easier to practice because you can do it yourself. You can only do so much with basketball, you can't simulate taking jumpers w/someone defending you yourself. I guess you can take batting practice, but that's it, no catching, throwing, fielding, etc... And setting up group practices as amateurs, good luck with that.

My motivation comes from seeing improvements in video, I guess if I didn't see them, I'd be less inclined, but if you do use video, setting yourself up better for success but it's chicken and egg. And every time I make a change, the swing is new to me again because it's so weird, the changes, so that keeps things fresh. I've said it before, but the swing is basically an evolving puzzle to be solved, that's how view golf. If there weren't the figuring things out part, probably would be less interested.

Also, the internet is motivation as well. You see all these people practicing in social media, getting better, making practice facilities out of strange places, in the cold, working hard, going the extra distance, it makes you want to get better and at the same time, improves your understanding of the swing.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

13 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Golf is way easier to practice because you can do it yourself. You can only do so much with basketball, you can't simulate taking jumpers w/someone defending you yourself.

True. But practicing those shots while not being defended is still going to contribute to some improvement. Also with many other sports just physical conditioning can improve your performance. With golf you can practice your tail off, lose weight and feel much better yet still totally suck. Golf is a rare sport where even practicing requires knowledge and doing it correctly or else you can gain nothing or actually worsen. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

23 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

True. But practicing those shots while not being defended is still going to contribute to some improvement. Also with many other sports just physical conditioning can improve your performance. With golf you can practice your tail off, lose weight and feel much better yet still totally suck. Golf is a rare sport where even practicing requires knowledge and doing it correctly or else you can gain nothing or actually worsen. 

Agree, a big knowledge component and need to find people who know what they're talking about and lots of potential to get bad information. Maybe even a higher level of self awareness, physically and mentally.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

On 3/28/2019 at 8:48 PM, bones75 said:

... Or maybe I am looking for a way to get more "golf motivated":...  but like i said, I got the "golf bug" big time right now, so it's all I think about!

Toss your hat in the ring for the 2019 Newport Cup.  Las Vegas is close and your handicap is good enough to make the team.  You have a lot of time to post on TST and practice.  Give yourself a realistic goal and good things can happen to your game.

• Like 1

Brian Kuehn

I guess I am one of the lucky ones when it comes to golf. My golf self motivation is way up my bucket list of personal priorities. My golf motivation comes from the game of golf being one of the toughest things I ever tried to do, and be good at it. I was good at golf one time, but not so much now. 

That not as good now,  brings into play being motivated to playing golf as well as I can, for as long as I can. 

I know several people who golf, but very few (80%+?) are not motivated enough to put much time into their games. They like the game, and they like to play it. They just don't care about their scores. Just being out of doors, doing something is good enough for them. All of them though, are self motivated in other aspects of their lives. It boils down to priorities for them. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I've never been as involved in an activity as I am with golf, it's a true passion. I work to improve myself physically in terms of my skills, mentally in terms of my knowledge of the swing and the game, and socially as an active member of a golf forum. I'm even looking into becoming a member of a club in the near future.

I don't know exactly why, but golf is just something I've gotten into.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, bkuehn1952 said:

Toss your hat in the ring for the 2019 Newport Cup.

Would love to, but my this golf trip is typically the 1 weekend I get off per year from family duties. I hope it's still going when my little ones are older.

That said, I am thinking along the same lines, and look to join some basic (1-day) tournaments in my area to keep me motivated. Haven't done those kinda things in almost 10 years.

I fear this can sound badly, but I also think golf is like perfect for my age / lifestyle. Like I can no longer be pretty "great" at basketball at my age, but I can still be pretty "great" at golf. Something I can still be a "baller" in, yet low impact enough where I am not performance limited by my joints or my vertical. 

I used to bike race and was completely consumed by it. Everything I did from eating, to rest, to training was specific to racing. So I probably have an addictive personality! :-P And it was also a dangerous sport with lots of crashes and worry about cars. Yes, I was very fit, but there was still a lot of risk and most of my training was done alone. I did it for 10 years and had broken ribs, a broken collarbone and two surgeries to show for it.

The big difference between golf and bike racing is you can play golf with anyone at any level on the same course and even compete with them. I can play with my wife and friends and complete strangers. It can be played relaxed or under intense competition. Sure cycling has group rides, but a group only goes as fast as the slowest rider.

It is also a sport that you can keep working to improve if you want to, and I do. So I have embraced golf as I did cycling. My wife plays too and although she is not consumed by it, she enjoys it. This allows us to play with other friends in more of a social gathering, which is nice.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

13 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Everything I did from eating, to rest, to training was specific to racing

I SO miss this level of focus on sports. But havent done it (in any prolonged way) since college. Life just got in the way. I truly enjoyed spreadsheeting diet, sleep, strength and conditioning stuff and working so friggin hard on all aspects for months, all towards a "peak" game day/week/season. It made sports so all-encompassing but was so incredibly fulfilling on so many levels (cant fully describe it). I really miss it.

But babies cry at night and i eventually need to support them through college so they get to experience the same....  *sigh*

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, bones75 said:

I SO miss this level of focus on sports. But havent done it (in any prolonged way) since college. Life just got in the way. I truly enjoyed spreadsheeting diet, sleep, strength and conditioning stuff and working so friggin hard on all aspects for months, all towards a "peak" game day/week/season. It made sports so all-encompassing but was so incredibly fulfilling on so many levels (cant fully describe it). I really miss it.

But babies cry at night and i eventually need to support them through college so they get to experience the same....  *sigh*

That is when I stopped racing. My son became way more important. One day when he was a teenager, he saw a picture of me with him when he was maybe 3. I was thin. He said, "What happened to you that you got fat?". I said, "You happened."

• Like 2

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 1851 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!