IGNORED

How Far Do You Hit Your Wedges?

tbart1
Note: This thread is 1786 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

A lot of what goes into my wedge game depends on what height and spin I am looking to get, where the pin is located, and what lie I have. But on average my 52 is 110-115, 56 is 90-100, and 60 degree for shots from 25-75

• iacas changed the title to How Far Do You Hit Your Wedges?

My Wedges go PW 47*    Vokey 50 and then a 55/11 and a 56/8    

I know my max for my 50* is right about 105 yards...   

My distances for scoring Irons go like this

7iron - 145 yards

8iron - 135 yards

9iron - 125 yards

PW   - 110/115 yards

50*   -  105 yards

my 55/56*  90 yards 

now obviously i tend to hit high shots with my Irons..... so if i could ever figure out how to lower the flight of my shots, i'd probably add a good 20 yards to my shots.....   

It is what it is

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

At full swing, assuming my game is in order and I'm striking it well:

PW (48): 115

SW (56): 95

LW (60): 75

SuperDuperLW (64): 60

Or something like that. I'm not a great golfer but with wedges I do have an ability to step on them with a draw to add distance. So I'm not 100% confident in my distances. I sort of judge everything and then just go with what seems right in my head. It's probably the best part of my game these days since my putting has gone to shit.

"Witty golf quote."

My PW is 120 to 130 yards.  My SW used to be 100 yards but don't hit it much these days.  My SW and LW are only for short distances where I need to throw the ball high in the air and get it to stop.  Most shots under 120 yards are my PW

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

• 1 month later...

Hey there, everyone 🙂
I've just signed up, and I would like to hear your thoughts about wedges and distance.

How far do you typically hit your wedges? I mean, your Gap, Sand and Lob wedge.

In my bag I have a 3 piece Cleveland wedge set - a 50, 56 and 60 degree.
I've been playing golf for 15 years, I'm a mid-handicapper and my swing/contact is solid.
Looking at different online distance charts, based on an average mid-handicapper, the Gap wedge should play about 90 meters, a Sand wedge about 75 meters and a Lob wedge about 65 meters...

What do you think? Is that the case for you guys? Shorter/longer?

Thanks. 🙂

1 hour ago, Kenni said:

Looking at different online distance charts, based on an average mid-handicapper, the Gap wedge should play about 90 meters, a Sand wedge about 75 meters and a Lob wedge about 65 meters...

The W-iron (I guess it's a pitching wedge, it's really a 10-iron for me) goes 115 on a great full shot.  However, now if I need a 115 yard shot, it's a 3/4 swing with a 9-iron or an 8-iron.  I hit my W about 95-100 on a 3/4 swing, 65 on 1/2, and about 40 on 1/4. 

U-iron (49.5 degree, gap wedge / 11-iron) is about 100 on a full shot, but now I use it for 85-90 3/4 swings, 50 on 1/2, and 35 on 1/4.  I made a great up and down yesterday to push a hole in fourball with that club and quarter swing, putting the ball about three feet away for a push.  Since my team ended up winning in 19 holes, I'm glad I made that up and down :-) 

My 50 degree I would go about 85 yards on a full swing, which makes me wonder if I was hitting it wrong since the similar lofted iron went further.  

My 56 degree, 20 yards on 1/4, 35 on 1/2, and I guess about 55 on a 3/4 swing?  I haven't measured the latter and I have 55 yard shots I am more comfortable hitting.   I am capable of hitting my sand wedge 150 yards, but only out of greenside bunkers, so it's a fairly useless super power. 

All that having been said, we don't have something like the DH rule in golf.  You don't get to call in an average mid-handicap amateur to hit your wedge shots for you.  You hit your wedge shots for you.  Find out how far you hit them.  There isn't a contest for "okay, everyone, grap your gap wedge and hit a full swing, maximum distance wins."  There is a contest for who shoots the lowest score, and winning that one can be greatly helped by knowing what your tools are going to do for you. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I've always been someone who's had a max LW yardage in my head and then tried to work backwards from there, but I've recently been trying to actually gap out all my wedges in an effort to make things a little more consistent. Tough to find a spot to practice with no wind or slope or anything. I'm going to see if I can play a twilight round something this week and hang out on one hole for a while. I went to a short game area at a nearby course today but there was a lot of breeze and the "fairway" from which to hit was mostly rough.  

FWIW, here's Brooks Koepka's chart:

spacer.png

https://www.reddit.com/r/golf/comments/bo66ao/brooks_koepkas_stock_yardages_are_beastly/

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I carry a PW 48* I hit 125 a 56* I hit 110 and a 60* I hit 85

Alpha V5 9.0 XStiff
Cleveland Hi-Bore 13* Stiff
Cleveland Hi-Bore 19* Hybrid Stiff
Cleveland CG Red Irons 4-PW Stiff
Merit Golf 52* StiffCleveland 900 series 56* & 60* RegScotty Cameron Laguna Mid-Slant"I hit 2 good balls today, I stepped on a rake."

Never really worried about my wedge distances. I am more concerned about accuracy with them. 

I do have yardage numbers for each of them, but it's an average (+/-) yardage number. 

(LW 45, SW 60, AW 70, PW 80)

Those are full swing distance averages, and are quite a bit shorter than when I was younger, and more bullet proof.  These days, I rarely swing full on with my wedges. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I have a 43*pw and a 47*pw, ap2’s and then I have Wilson staff 52,56 and 60* wedges. I never hit the latter 3 with a full swing so I don’t even know how far they’d go. 

43* 150 yards

47* 135 yards

Sand wedge gets me out of bunkers, and pitching wedge gets me over bunkers, everything else is chip and run. High angled clubs scare the hell out of me, and try to avoid them like the plague. 

Edited by Mr Puddle

- Simon Hornsby

1 hour ago, Patch said:

Never really worried about my wedge distances. I am more concerned about accuracy with them.

Distance control is part of accuracy. Pointless to hit a shot right in line with the flag if you're going to fly it by 15 yards.

46 minutes ago, Mr Puddle said:

High angled clubs scare the hell out of me, and try to avoid them like the plague. 

Do you at least practice with them? You're never going to develop the technique if you never use them.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 1786 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!