IGNORED

Do I Just Need a Mental Adjustment on Club Choice?

Note: This thread is 1795 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The last two rounds I have been consistently over hitting my targets by  5-15 yards or so.  I have been hitting my clubs well lately and I do not feel I have done anything such as trying to power a shot more or play for more ball speed.

When I went back to the range for a lesson and my pro said the "added distance" may simply be the result of hitting range balls and then playing a much better ball for my rounds.

My range uses a Srixon range ball and I use Bridgestone 12e soft on the course.

Question is simple; in my club planning, do I just add 10-15 yards to my thought process?  My swing has become consistent and so has the result.  Not sure I want to change anything physical.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Do I Just Need a Mental Adjustment on Club Choice?
  • Administrator

I'm trying to figure out why this is even a question?

Range balls aren't the balls you use to play. I don't ever judge my distances by range balls. Some are limited flight, some are just worn out and have less dimples, some are just crappy (most, probably).

If you're consistently 5-15 yards long on the course, of course you have to adjust.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Do you track your stats?    How often to you over shoot the green as opposed to coming up short?  Something like Game Golf, would give you the answers.   

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I think I know what is going on here.  You are making better, and more consistent, contact and cannot quite believe that an 8 iron is the correct choice when a 7 iron used to come up short.  This is not an unusual occurrence.  As the efficiency of your swings improve...your distances have to be recalculated.  That is a good thing.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I'm trying to figure out why this is even a question?

Range balls aren't the balls you use to play. I don't ever judge my distances by range balls. Some are limited flight, some are just worn out and have less dimples, some are just crappy (most, probably).

If you're consistently 5-15 yards long on the course, of course you have to adjust.

So better then, I guess, to change club selection?

The reason I asked is because this was most obvious in just the last few rounds where I have been overshooting targets on with hybrids and irons, especially my 6i and 7i.  

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

7 hours ago, DrMJG said:

So better then, I guess, to change club selection?

The reason I asked is because this was most obvious in just the last few rounds where I have been overshooting targets on with hybrids and irons, especially my 6i and 7i.  

I look for regular balls at the range if they have them to judge distance. the range balls can be beat or just limited flight. I will see a ProV1x, Callaway, Tayormade, Bridgestone, etc balls and set them aside. I will also take a beat up ball I am playing and use that occasionally. But it is not great data.

To get more accurate data, I use my MEVO or a local indoor range with a Flightscope.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I don't see any other answer than to change club selection.  Why wouldn't you?

Having a similar issue, took a couple lessons, making changes, but they still flash in and out.  So it's a bit like a box of chocolates!  The seven might be 150, or 175.  Waiting for consistency to come.  But I am playing for the better shot, unless short is really bad, and it is happening more often every time out.

(edited)

Played another round today with making a mental note to change my club selection to reflect longer distances based on what I have been hitting.  And, for the most part, it worked well. Using my 7i, for example, where I would have used a 6i in the past, resulted in much better distance planning without any real change in my swing.

I still have to fully note this and keep a better record of distances for each club.  

Thanks all for your feedback.  It seems that the solution was obvious to most of you; I needed to make sure I was on the right track, as life does not allow for me to bounce thoughts off too many people.

Edited by DrMJG
  • Like 1

My suggestion would be to go to a range or a simulator where you can hit balls similar or identical to what you play and calculate actual distances you are hitting clubs.  For now, no doubt using one club less works, but it leaves you at the mercy of perhaps overshooting or undershooting by a few yards and getting into trouble you could have easily avoided

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

I'm enjoying using Golf GPS on the phone .. out on the course really helping me dial in my distances now know my 4i goes as long as my 17 Hybrid if well hit (Longer than expected!!) now moving to 5i for 210-220yrds shots ..which wasn't expected pre gps 

Highly recommend getting out on the course with the same ball and playing around with exact distances with GPS really giving me much more confidence 

Go Foxy Go

I'm thinking that so much time on the range has led to a consistency of strike for you that is translating into extra distance. Plus, most range balls are crap, unless they are new! Many years ago we had a buddy who got serious about golf. He lived in an old house that had enough ceiling room in the basement that he could swing clubs. He put down a mat and hung a war surplus parachute to catch the balls. 

When he played the following season, he was a force to be reckoned with! He simply didn't mishit any shots! Every club he swung was hit dead in the center! That's why I miss our golf dome so much. It's like I'm trying to relearn the game!

• Like 1

Unfortunately, we are currently in an apartment.  Good sized for living but no place to set up a net or I would.

Note: This thread is 1795 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!