IGNORED

Plumb Bobbing and Line Question

Zippo
Note: This thread is 1747 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I think it’s more of a mental calming/comforting action and they just don’t know it. Just like when a golfer leans and talks to the ball. It isn’t going to make any change to the ball at all but they can’t help but do it.

BA5C9712-7969-4935-B14A-088B86D3C18F.gif.90b78198cc114d75ddd821ef9cb433b5.gif

(Probably gotta be of a certain age to remember this one)

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

BA5C9712-7969-4935-B14A-088B86D3C18F.gif.90b78198cc114d75ddd821ef9cb433b5.gif

(Probably gotta be of a certain age to remember this one)

Lol! Plenty of us do I’m sure.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2019 at 8:49 PM, iacas said:

I moved it to Tour Talk.

Really, it might be more "instructional" but since plumb bobbing doesn't work, I didn't think it was very instructional either.

Why do some pros still do it? 

1 hour ago, oldmotor said:

It's probably like a psychological security blanket to them. They can manipulate the shaft to confirmation bias what they already think about the line. 

Colin P.

2 hours ago, oldmotor said:

I realize what I'm reacting to isn't quite what you're saying, but watch an MLB game (there's one on today) and watch what the players do before pitching or stepping into the batter box, and ask yourself how many of those will have a real effect -- or if any will have a negative effect, for that matter.  

Just because the professionals do it, doesn't mean it's an optimal move, or even correct.  Offhand, examples include laying up to a full swing distance, pulling the flag on most putts, having the caddie pull the flag on an 80 yard pitch, and of course, the topic of this thread, plumb bobbing. 

• Like 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

4 hours ago, colin007 said:

It's probably like a psychological security blanket to them. They can manipulate the shaft to confirmation bias what they already think about the line. 

No, no, no. JB Holmes does it so he can add 2 minutes to his putting routine to make it an even 5 minutes.

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

27 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

No, no, no. JB Holmes does it so he can add 2 minutes to his putting routine to make it an even 5 minutes.

Relevant: 

D-LJEb8XsAYCwX3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

1 hour ago, Shindig said:

Relevant: 

D-LJEb8XsAYCwX3.jpg

Name one.

Craig

13 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

Name one.

His mom. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

29 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

Name one.

I guess I should clarify in case it isn't obvious:  the picture is a parody, not an actual quote from J.B. Holmes.  It is from the "Clubproguy" twitter account -- that's the icon in the bottom-left. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

5 hours ago, Shindig said:

I guess I should clarify in case it isn't obvious:  the picture is a parody, not an actual quote from J.B. Holmes.  It is from the "Clubproguy" twitter account -- that's the icon in the bottom-left. 

Darn. I knew it was too good to be true.

Craig

Note: This thread is 1747 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!