IGNORED

Ball Placement Back in My Stance

Matthew62
Note: This thread is 1762 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello all I am new here. I have been struggling hitting behind the ball for a couple of years now. For some reason I can’t get my mind to compress the ball left of center of my stance. I’m only Talking about my irons. So I’m thinking of trying to just move the ball back a little bit. Is there anyone out there that places the ball a little right of center while playing there irons? Right handers. Thanks!

• iacas changed the title to Ball Placement Back in My Stance

I used to. The bottom of my swing was well behind the ball in what would be considered a "normal" setup these days. Instead of trying to move the bottom of my swing, I simply moved the ball to where the bottom of my swing was at the time. I also played with a fairly narrow, open stance. I think that let me get my left hip out of the way sooner so I wasn't shoving everything. 

This was back when I was young and poor and couldn't afford lessons, so I was figuring things out on my own. But I got to the point where I could dead nut my irons. If the bottom of your swing is pretty consistent, I'd say try it. Why not? If it doesn't work, try something else. If all else fails, go get lessons. Or post vids on the My Swing page and get help here. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 hours ago, Matthew62 said:

Hello all I am new here. I have been struggling hitting behind the ball for a couple of years now. For some reason I can’t get my mind to compress the ball left of center of my stance. I’m only Talking about my irons. So I’m thinking of trying to just move the ball back a little bit. Is there anyone out there that places the ball a little right of center while playing there irons? Right handers. Thanks!

Lots of people do, it's a way to cheat a flip. It's a bandaid fix. If you want to do it the right way I suggest working on improving your swing.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

You will very much like the results of properly shifting your weight forward in the downswing instead of this temp fix.

You want to keep the ball where it is and shift your body left instead.  (You bend your left knee) If you watch slow motion of pros carefully, you will see that they do this.  And keep your hands ahead of the club face at impact. (Club is tilted rather than straight) Combine these methods and you will hit fewer fat shots and topped shots.  The ball will go straighter and further.  At Billchao’s advice, I am nearing completion of this transition myself.  Lots of time and frustration, but Worth It.

Up until recently the worst part of my game has been my chipping. I would constantly hit the ground before the ball, probably in an effort to lift the ball. About a month ago I moved the ball back a few inches in my stance, now chipping is one of the best parts of game. That easy !! 

- Simon Hornsby

1 hour ago, Mr Puddle said:

Up until recently the worst part of my game has been my chipping. I would constantly hit the ground before the ball, probably in an effort to lift the ball. About a month ago I moved the ball back a few inches in my stance, now chipping is one of the best parts of game. That easy !! 

This topic isn't about ball position with chipping. 

14 hours ago, Matthew62 said:

I’m only Talking about my irons. 

Is there anyone out there that places the ball a little right of center while playing there irons?

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

15 hours ago, Matthew62 said:

. So I’m thinking of trying to just move the ball back a little bit. Is there anyone out there that places the ball a little right of center while playing there irons? Right handers. Thanks!

Not a good strategy. You give your self less leeway to hit the ball properly and get your weight forward at impact.

I would guess you don't get enough weight forward at impact, your turn rates are stalling in the downswing, and/or your head moves too much. Just a few things that can cause lack of low point control.

I recommend starting a my swing thread, and posting a video to get the proper advice.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

18 hours ago, Matthew62 said:

One really good drill to do is place the ball near your front heel, with your normal stance and practice hitting with it at this position. Start with short swings like chips. I also use the feel like I want to hit the ball low from that forward position and add a little shaft lean at address. What this drill does is help you move your weight forward at the hips into impact and steepens your angle of attack with the irons. Be careful not to move your head forward with this drill. Filming helps too.

After a bit of practice, you will surprise yourself how well you can hit a 7 iron at your front heel and even though you are trying to hit it low, it still goes high because it is forward of middle. 

I do this drill a lot.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Your eyes will dictate where the club comes down to take that divot.  I used to look at the ball in general.  I would hit fat and thin shots.  Then I looked at the back of the ball (where the club impacts). Then I would hit fat shots.  Next, I tried looking ahead of the ball, about half an inch.  Now I hit square.  Misses are thin shots (preferable than fat shots). 

I would recommend keeping the ball in the middle of your stance for short and mid irons, more foreward for long irons and woods, and at lead heel for driver.  And just change where you look at the ball. 

Note: This thread is 1762 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!