IGNORED

Eureka Golf Swing

Just looking for people's opinions on this. I stumbled upon Steve Johnston on YouTube and really liked his videos. The guy is pretty funny and has a simple way of explaining things. The Eureka swing seems mostly a take off of stack and tilt with an open stance but damn I hit the ball well following his advice. I've always had issues with getting my weight left and my hips open but with the open stance and 60% weight left that seems a thing of the past. Been about 6 weeks of range time with this and 2 rounds but my ball flight and shot direction are way better than ever. He just started selling videos online but for around $27 USD good luck finding a better deal. There's plenty of free info on his YouTube channel which has gotten me this far. 

BO THE GOLFER

In my Top Flite stand bag:

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

You've done it now!   You have angered the golf gods and their revenge will be forthcoming.   :whistle:

I hope this Eureka moment works for you.   

• Like 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Eureka Golf Swing was created by Steve Johnston PGA to give golfers more consistency and a straighter ball flight. This swing technique has gather quite a following with Steve's YouTube community.

I don't see anything there that seems new or whatever.

Without a specific video or something to actually discuss, I'll just say that there are a lot of swings that are capable of helping players achieve any of the five keys.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

6 hours ago, iacas said:

Eureka Golf Swing was created by Steve Johnston...

I don't see anything there that seems new or whatever.

Without a specific video or something to actually discuss, I'll just say that there are a lot of swings that are capable of helping players achieve any of the five keys.

I am aware that many swings can get you to the 5 keys. This happens to be the one that works for me. I think Steve dispenses his information in a simple and enjoyable manner which was what I'm trying to convey. There are several videos discussing Eureka on his Steve's YouTube channel so I would direct people there. Thank you. 

BO THE GOLFER

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

• Administrator

That’s not really a discussion.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

That’s not really a discussion.

I would say any exchange of ideas are a discussion. Besides the point though. 

BO THE GOLFER

BO THE GOLFER

I personally don't find him funny and have a difficult time understanding him. I get what he is saying, and I'm glad it works for you though.

- Shane

• Administrator

So, for discussion, now that there's actually something to discuss…

At 2:06, he said the body going left while the club went right was "like you know that thing that shoots baseballs out?" No, it's not. That's not how that works.

Besides that nit-pick… the video seems to boil down to, uhhhh, "swing out to the right."

Cool? The simple problem there is that it's not really all that helpful to say "swing out to the right" to a lot of people.

I give up. Goodbye Sandtrap

BO THE GOLFER

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Bo the Golfer said:

I give up. Goodbye Sandtrap

Ha. That’s ridiculous.

On 7/9/2019 at 2:43 AM, Bo the Golfer said:

Just looking for people's opinions on this.

You said that. I offered my opinions on what little you’ve shown. And you get upset? Okay man.

I’m glad you like him and what he’s said, but gee whiz… you tell us you want opinions and then pout when we share one.

10 hours ago, Bo the Golfer said:

I am aware that many swings can get you to the 5 keys. This happens to be the one that works for me. I think Steve dispenses his information in a simple and enjoyable manner which was what I'm trying to convey. There are several videos discussing Eureka on his Steve's YouTube channel so I would direct people there. Thank you. 

It is OK that it works for you, but it may not work for everyone. It takes a lot of time to get feels to become realities in our swings. I've worked for a year or more to get my clubhead path inside at A6 and making steeper, hands-forward contact at impact. Now I have to work on my hips continuing to rotate.

Videos like these are helpful for concepts, but they don't replace doing the work and filming to see the results. They can be good for a swing thought on the course. If that is helping you, great. But again, it may not help others. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 11:43 PM, Bo the Golfer said:

Just looking for people's opinions on this. I stumbled upon Steve Johnston on YouTube and really liked his videos. The guy is pretty funny and has a simple way of explaining things. The Eureka swing seems mostly a take off of stack and tilt with an open stance but damn I hit the ball well following his advice. I've always had issues with getting my weight left and my hips open but with the open stance and 60% weight left that seems a thing of the past. Been about 6 weeks of range time with this and 2 rounds but my ball flight and shot direction are way better than ever. He just started selling videos online but for around $27 USD good luck finding a better deal. There's plenty of free info on his YouTube channel which has gotten me this far. 

If it works for you I'm not sure why you care what other people think but, since you asked, I am not of fan of using a way open or closed stance for my own golf swing. I will slightly open or slightly close when I'm looking to hit a slightly bigger draw or fade but, for the most part, I would rather learn to do a draw or fade with a slight adjustment to my swing path rather than a radical stance. I also think - and you can see that I'm a mountainous handicapper so you can take my words as you wish - that a radically open or closed stance makes it more difficult to rotate hips fully back or rotate fully forward depending. My friend hits with a very closed stance which makes it difficult for him to rotate his hips through impact causing massive pulls and hooks as his hips stop turning while his upper body continues on. He tries to compensate but his swing becomes such a compendium of compensations that it is difficult to hit the ball well twice in a row. To his credit, he's been doing this long enough that he usually scores a few strokes lower than I do so I guess it's working for him but I've learned not to watch when he's swinging.

I ignored the baseball comment from Mr. Johnson as we're discussing golf here - not baseball - as was pointed out in the push off with right foot thread.

Ugh

4:35 to say open stance, shoulders square, and swing path inside...

Nothing really exciting, but if it works for someone, that’s great.  I just wish he had landed that plane a little faster!   

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I would say there is no swing out there that works for everyone so to say that seems a given. I don't pout @iacas I'm tired. Tired of having 5sk trotted out in every single thread, tired of not being able to have an opinion that differs from yours, tired of people not reading what I write. I said it it works for me. I was looking to see what people thought of it yes. My give up has nothing to do with anyone's opinion but rather the condescending way some people go about giving it (you)  I've been a member of this forum for a lot of years and know what it means, Jack shit. I liked the old days where there was more consideration given to different ideas. Now you get 5sk knocked over your head or hey, I know a book you can buy. You made a good thing here but ruined it. Where does this site rank compared to GolfWRX? I thought so 

BO THE GOLFER

1 hour ago, Bo the Golfer said:

I would say there is no swing out there that works for everyone so to say that seems a given. I don't pout @iacas I'm tired. Tired of having 5sk trotted out in every single thread, tired of not being able to have an opinion that differs from yours, tired of people not reading what I write. I said it it works for me. I was looking to see what people thought of it yes. My give up has nothing to do with anyone's opinion but rather the condescending way some people go about giving it (you)  I've been a member of this forum for a lot of years and know what it means, Jack shit. I liked the old days where there was more consideration given to different ideas. Now you get 5sk knocked over your head or hey, I know a book you can buy. You made a good thing here but ruined it. Where does this site rank compared to GolfWRX? I thought so 

GolfWRX is awful FWIW. I left there 10 years ago because everyone would jump down your throat if they misread your post or had a slightly different opinion.

I think you are adding emotion when you read others posts. Try not to do that. I've re-read the comments above and don't see where you find them condescending. Posters are adding their opinions and you just seem to want agreement with yours.

Bottom line is Erik is the owner of the site and a terrific golf instructor. He's helped many members for free for what other video instructors would be asking for lots of money. You seem to be looking for a magic fix from internet videos. Best of luck to you, but you are going to continue to wander from video to video whenever thing go awry.

• Like 2

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

2 hours ago, Bo the Golfer said:

I liked the old days where there was more consideration given to different ideas.

Umm... you denied consideration when you stated that no one is allowed to question the topic you wanted to talk about. If you are looking for someone to just say, "Yea man, that way is awesome!" then you should have known better. Also, why do you care about it so much to get upset about it.

You found something that works for you. Awesome.

I would bet if your swing improved to the point you get to a single digit handicap that you do all 5 swing decently. 

Here is the thing, the 5 keys are not a swing system. They not tell you, "Hey you need to hit this spot here, then this spot here, you must swing out, ect..." The 5 keys are what all great golfers achieve to hit the ball well. Jim Furyk does all 5 things really well. He has about as abnormal swing out there.

So, I don't get your angst here.

2 hours ago, Bo the Golfer said:

Where does this site rank compared to GolfWRX? I thought so 

That matters how?

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator

@Bo the Golfer, the problem is that you’re reading “condescension” in where there is none.

None at all. I simply don’t see much to discuss and I don’t like just saying “swing right.” That’s all I’ve seen to discuss.

5SK isn’t thrown in every topic, nor is it “a swing.” And by saying that the swing achieves the 5SK, it's not a way of co-opting it, but a way of saying it's legit. Were I to say something the opposite way, then that would be cause for concern or issue - a way of saying "whoa, this is likely not a good method."

I try to mention 5SK where it is relevant. It’s a great system that makes sense. I don't make a penny just for mentioning it - it's simply the basis for my teaching and a way of saying that something or someone achieves commonalities. And I don’t have to mention the book much - it’s sold extremely well.

Your comments about GolfWRX don't mean much to me. I don’t want this site to be GolfWRX, and as someone who still plays an R11 you probably don’t either. I don’t want 30 ads per page. I don’t want the focus on equipment. Nor do I want GolfDigest telling me what to do (or whatever).

And if you think people at GWRX are just gonna say “what a great swing video” you’re kidding yourself.

• Like 1