IGNORED

Help with clubs

Snazzy93
Note: This thread is 1720 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi all, about 2 year ago I posted here about help with golfing with a bad knee. Good news is you all helped! Bad news is you all helped, and now I'm hooked.... and getting better. 

I've been golfing with a set of Wilson ultra irons my uncle gave me. They're at least 10 years old, if not more. I don't tend to use fairway woods as I hit them poorly. So my biggest concern is irons, and possibly hybrids.  (Never ventured into them yet.) 

My question is what rout would anyone recommend? I don't golf on a league, or even regularly at the same course, so I have no clue of what my handicap may be, but i do know I've been hitting pars/birdies alot more regularly. And ive been golfing 9-18 holes at least twice a week. Usually I hang around the boggie and double zone. 

Would upgrading Help? I don't expect a set of clubs to take 10 strokes off my game, but i do realize I'm using some fairly outdated/cheap irons, and I've been playing often/serious enough to justify the cost. I just don't have any pro shops or people in my area to help. 

That's the next issue. There is nowhere within a 2 hour drive where I drive that I can test hit clubs. So I really hate to pay alot for clubs that either make no difference or I don't like. 

Ant input is greatly appreciated because as I said,  I don't exactly have advice at my ready.

5 minutes ago, Snazzy93 said:

I posted here about help with golfing with a bad knee

5 minutes ago, Snazzy93 said:

That's the next issue. There is nowhere within a 2 hour drive where I drive that I can test hit clubs. So I really hate to pay alot for clubs that either make no difference or I don't like. 

Welcome back to TST.   You are pretty limited since you won't be able to test clubs before buying.    I golf with a 65 year old guy that just changed out several of his irons for hybrids and loves them.   I don't think you can go wrong adding hybrids to your bag.  Since you don't compete, a set of SGI (super game improvement) irons may work best for you.   Technology in clubs has changed significantly in the last 10 years.   You don't have to rush out and buy the latest/greatest clubs.   Clubs a couple of years old are much cheaper and will work very well.  

Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Questions:

Height?

Athletic?

Swing speed? or how far is a typical 7 iron and driver distance?

Male, female?

Age?

There are some decent deals on places like ebay where you can some decent technology.

If you are going to spend the money on the clubs, I would say to spend the time on a ROAD TRIP!  It won't take much longer than a round of golf. 

• Like 1

Years ago I used to demo tennis racquets.  Select a couple of racquets, get them in the mail, play for a week and send them back.  It was not that expensive and it let me try some racquets without having to buy first.

I imagine other mfgs do the same, but I looked up Wilson (since you’ve been playing them) and they have a D7 5-7-PW Demo program for $10.  It looks like a cheap way to test them out.

Since around 2007, Wilson has come up with some nice, non-Walmart level, irons in their D, C, and F lines.

John

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Snazzy93 said:

I don't golf on a league, or even regularly at the same course, so I have no clue of what my handicap may be, but i do know I've been hitting pars/birdies alot more regularly. And ive been golfing 9-18 holes at least twice a week. Usually I hang around the boggie and double zone. 

This won't help you for clubs short-term, but start a spreadsheet and track the following information for each course you play:

* Date of play

* Name of course

* Tees you played from

Course Rating and Slope Rating for that course, for those tees.  This is almost always written on the scorecard.

* Score for the day.  

After a few rounds, you can compute your handicap by hand -- it won't be official, but at least you'll know.  That's what I did my first three years of playing.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

To answer questions, I'm a 6 foot tall male, (pretty arm lanky,) and right handed. 

I have no clue one swing speed, but i typically can hit my 7 iron accurately anywhere from 100 to 130 yards (If I catch everything absolutely perfectly. ) I've gotten very friendly with the 7 iron because I said I hitwoods and low irons poorly. 

I used to be fairly athletic, but with the knee reconstruction ive given up alot of the sports I used to play.

Also, if this is any help at all, I fight a very nasty slice. Always while driving, and usually with lower irons and woods.  I've actually never hooked a golf ball in my life. 

I know it's my swing, (I've been working to correct it, but it's tough without someone capable of critiquing being there to watch.) Just thought maybe it'd help somehow 

Ok, clubs would be nice, but your swing needs help.  I have not done it, as I have human instructors nearby, but you should look into one of the sources of on-line video lessons, or even start by posting your swing in the member swings section.  I think you will find much more improvement going down that path to start.  What you have been doing to this point is the same thing I was doing for a long time, just ingraining a bad swing.  What surprised me was the very little instruction made a very big difference.  Obviously, you also have to practice to solidify the changes, but you can do some of that without a ball, or even a club.

For context, I had my left knee reconstructed 36 years ago, it will always be weak, but it hold me up.  I've also gone through 4 abdominal surgeries, radiation and chemo over the past three years, and am an avowed couch potato, and was the guy that always got picked last in gym.  I hit my seven 160, plus or minus.  So I am sure you can do it as well, with some good instruction.  Much more valuable than clubs, at this point.

Edited by jlbos83
Addin thoughts

50 minutes ago, jlbos83 said:

Ok, clubs would be nice, but your swing needs help.

I don't think the clubs are going to fix my slicing issues, but my boss has a set of Taylor made m-2 irons. Once in a while I'll hit them when I golf with him, and i generally seem to hit them further. Not necessarily always more accurately though.

I've never heard of video video lessons, but I'm going to heavily consider it.  The problem is I don't believe there is anybody in my area who gives lessons. (Small town in PA in case  nobodies gathered by now. ) the only really good golfers i know of that would potentially be able to help me, wouldn't take the time to do it. Either because I'm not a member of any courses, so in their minds I shouldn't be golfing on them, or because it's just a pain to them. Sadly that's the nature of the area I live in. 

I honestly believe that my swing issues are directly related to my knee. Before I injured it, I could get 230+ yards off the tee fairly straight, pretty regularly. I didn't take it as serious then, because I was also involved in other sports. After the surgery, my usual swing/weight transfer really aggravated it. (Also my left knee.) So i changed my swing, keeping more of my weight back. I lost distance doing so, and acquired a lovely slice, but the knee likes it alot more. Even now I can tell the next day after golfing if I've let too much weight forward on my release, because my knee swells up for a good day or two. 

I agree that you should post a video in Member Swings under The Practice Range section.

Hopefully you will get some good advice on how to improve your golf swing without aggravating your left knee.  Since so much of the downswing requires ending with weight on your left, it will take some special talent to help you straighten things out and get you the most distance.

I’m not sure if you can get a specific brace that will provide more support for your left knee.  I also don’t know what PT/exercises you can do to strengthen the knee (muscles) so over time it can improve.

Keep in mind that a good player or even some instructors may have no idea, or desire, to work through your knee issue.  I partially tore a couple of rotator cuff tendons that really limited my left arm mobility.  I talked to a local instructor if he could help and he told me to get surgery and then come and see him.  So don’t feel slighted, that is just the way some people are; and I’ll never go back to him.

John 

• Thumbs Up 1

To the topic author, what is your handicap?  That is relevant.

I second the vote for getting video via "my swing" threads.  You might end up joining evolvr after trying it for a bit;  I did and am glad I did.  

In the meantime, I would bet you're trying to take a full swing with your 7-iron, hence the variation in distance.  I'm not saying this will narrow it down to the yard, but considering trying a flighted shot: 

I do that with all my shots inside a full 6-iron distance (e.g., 6-iron is the shortest club I'll take a full swing with).  It helps a ton!

• Thumbs Up 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

The right clubs can make a lot of difference, but the right clubs aren't always the most expensive. Modern forgiveness irons are a lot easier to use than old irons, as are hybrids. In an ideal world you go to your local pro shop, get measured, and try some clubs out. If money is no object, this is the way to go, otherwise treat yourself to some used Pings, or similar. 

- Simon Hornsby

Hey @Snazzy93.  I've had three surgeries on my left knee (two cartilage, one ACL) and I play from the right.  Forget about the weight transfer and focus on a centered pivot.  It has all the components of a proper golf swing and, once you get the hang of it, really helps to take one's mind off the repaired appendage.  

P.S.  A narrower stance also reduces stress on the knee...especially on uneven lies.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Note: This thread is 1720 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!