IGNORED

"The Game of Golf" Bugs Me

xrayvizhen
Note: This thread is 1708 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Maybe I'm just an old coot but when I hear golf commentators or media personalities talk about "The Game of Golf" it really irritates me. Why can't they just say, "golf"? When someone, and MIchael Breed is the perfect example, as much as I like the instructional stuff he's done, when he's interviewing someone or just talking about golf in general he always says the game of golf is this or the game of golf is that. It's never just "golf". He was interviewing Brad Faxon this morning on his Sirius satellite radio show and he must have said it a dozen times in 5 minutes. I had to turn it off. For those who have satellite radio listen to his show in the morning and tell me I'm wrong.

Don't get me wrong. I find Breed very engaging and I like his energy and enthusiasm. It's only that one expression that annoys me. Other commentators do it too, ie: Jim Nantz says it from time to time but not as much as Breed does. I think it sounds sanctimonious, elitist and snobby. (Even more snobby than calling the gallery "patrons" at the Masters.) That bugs me too, by the way.

Driver, 3W & 4 Hybrid: 2023 :titleist: TSR3 
Irons: 2020 :titleist: T300
Wedges: 2012 :callaway: XTour 56o & 2021 Jaws 60o

Putter: :odyssey: Marxman (Mallet) / :tmade: Juno (Blade) plus 7 or 8 others in a barrel in my basement

Hmm... okay. You are allowed to be annoyed by that if you want to be.

I find it frustrating when people say "I could care less." The phrase is "I COULDN'T care less." 

If you could care less why would you bother telling me? 

We all have our hang ups.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well, it is a game.But, I can see where a repeated phrase can get annoying, but I don't have an issue with it being called the game of golf. I don't see calling it a game as pretentious or snobby either....but the Patrons...THAT is pretentious! 

It's a secret code for a drinking game with their buddies. Every time they say, "game of golf", drink!

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

The discussion of golf being a game, or a sport has been going on for quite a while. To me, it probably could be considered both, depending on the situation. 

As for using "game of golf" to talk about it, I tend to think it's a more respectful way discribing what is being talked about. I have no problem with that term. I use it myself, out of respect.

I don't think I would like the term "the sport of golf" too much though.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

16 hours ago, xrayvizhen said:

Maybe I'm just an old coot but when I hear golf commentators or media personalities talk about "The Game of Golf" it really irritates me. Why can't they just say, "golf"? When someone, and MIchael Breed is the perfect example, as much as I like the instructional stuff he's done, when he's interviewing someone or just talking about golf in general he always says the game of golf is this or the game of golf is that. It's never just "golf". He was interviewing Brad Faxon this morning on his Sirius satellite radio show and he must have said it a dozen times in 5 minutes. I had to turn it off. For those who have satellite radio listen to his show in the morning and tell me I'm wrong.

Don't get me wrong. I find Breed very engaging and I like his energy and enthusiasm. It's only that one expression that annoys me. Other commentators do it too, ie: Jim Nantz says it from time to time but not as much as Breed does. I think it sounds sanctimonious, elitist and snobby. (Even more snobby than calling the gallery "patrons" at the Masters.) That bugs me too, by the way.

Hmmmm.  Have you tried day drinking?  It might help.  :-D

• Like 2

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

The last time I listened to Breed, he went into painful detail about how many pockets your bag should have, exactly what should be in each one, that you should have 3 gloves in your glove pocket, and exactly why you have three gloves.  Riveting stuff.  Unfortunately, I had to turn it off before he went into what color my tees should be and why.

So him saying "the game of golf" a lot really doesn't bother me.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

20 hours ago, xrayvizhen said:

The golfing world words/phrases that annoy me?

I am "gaming" the new Callaways...

Oh, that's a great "track"...

LOL

• Like 1

"Scoring the ball".  Seems like that came about ~5-6 years ago.  I've heard it in basketball and golf.  I've heard "scoring the puck" in hockey.  Blech.

Wade         --         "Thaaat's CRUSHED!"

Driver:  Ping G400 LST 8.5°
FWs/Hybs:  Callaway BB Steelhead III 3w; TM R15 17° & 21°
Irons:  Mizuno JPX825
Wedges:  Cleveland Rotex 2.0 54° & 60°
Putter:  Odyssey 2-ball

Note: This thread is 1708 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!