IGNORED

Why Am I Playing Like a Beginner?

Note: This thread is 1676 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This is my third year on the high school girls golf team and I have improved a lot since I started. Recently, my junior year season, I was hitting in the upper 40's for example, two weeks ago I shot a 48. This isn't an amazing score but, I was practicing all summer and it was really exciting for me. At practice, on the range, I was hitting every shot perfect. My hybrids, irons, and even my driver was going perfect. Then, my coach gave us a four day weekend, and I didn't pick up the club at all. I was excited to get back, but, at practice my first day back It was like I've never played before. I couldn't even hit my sand wedge. This happened for two days and my coaches help did little, my swing just felt wrong. The next day I had a match and scored a 72... on 9 holes. Even at the start of my golf career, I didn't score this poorly. So, the next day I went to our country club pros in search of advice. Both pros helped with me a lot and still I couldn't hit it. Now it has been two weeks and I thought my swing would come back. Everything about my swing feels wrong, the grip is uncomfortable, even though it is correct. Most of the time I hit it and it goes far left, but then sometimes it goes right. But, most of the time it just skids across the ground. Every time I get help from the pro it is something else, my mistakes aren't even consistent. I have had to use only my pitching wedge and putter for the matches I've had to play in. If anyone knows anything, please please help!

Welcome to The SandTrap.   Golf is a very difficult game.  Some days the golf gods smile on us, other days it rains on us.   There is a wealth of great information here on the forum, from some very, very knowledgeable golfers.  

To make a long story short, you're going to get advice to create a Member's swing thread.   Here!   Without seeing your swing, nobody can really just give you much advice that will be an immediate fix.  

Going to using a pitching wedge and putter isn't going to help your game.  

Check this out.  Five Ss of great practice.

Good luck.   Don't be a stranger.   You can get through this, we'd love to follow your journey to good golf.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Welcome to TST Lexie!!

I am not qualified to give one lesson but I will support what @dennyjones stated.  Post a video on the My Swing forum.  I did it and in a short period of time I was amazed at the breakdown of my swing.  They showed me a flaw and gave me correctable action that really worked for me!

I want to encourage you to stick to this great and crazy game.  I have a daughter that just started golfing.  I got her lessons from a PGA Pro and it has helped her tremendously.  She has progressed from hitting her brother on the practice range (truly a lateral shot) to hitting the ball "forward" as she states.

• Like 1

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

I'd be courios to know if something changed in your life style a little before, or during your 4 days off?

I've know people who lost their baseball athleticism due to personal, and/or health issues that just popped up. 

Something might have changed since you say everything about your swing "feels wrong". Especially your grip. 

Edited by Patch
  • Like 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

This sounds kind of familiar!  I am not a good golfer, but I have been at it for years.  Every now and then, out of the blue, I will feel like I am swinging at the ball with garden implement.  I can't feel the club, I have no idea where it is, and just hitting the ball is a success!  Fortunately, the feeling doesn't usually last more than a week or two.  Though I did put anything longer than a 7 iron in the doghouse a few summer ago!

3 hours ago, Lexie Johnson said:

This is my third year on the high school girls golf team and I have improved a lot since I started. Recently, my junior year season, I was hitting in the upper 40's for example, two weeks ago I shot a 48. This isn't an amazing score but, I was practicing all summer and it was really exciting for me. At practice, on the range, I was hitting every shot perfect. My hybrids, irons, and even my driver was going perfect. Then, my coach gave us a four day weekend, and I didn't pick up the club at all. I was excited to get back, but, at practice my first day back It was like I've never played before. I couldn't even hit my sand wedge. This happened for two days and my coaches help did little, my swing just felt wrong. The next day I had a match and scored a 72... on 9 holes. Even at the start of my golf career, I didn't score this poorly. So, the next day I went to our country club pros in search of advice. Both pros helped with me a lot and still I couldn't hit it. Now it has been two weeks and I thought my swing would come back. Everything about my swing feels wrong, the grip is uncomfortable, even though it is correct. Most of the time I hit it and it goes far left, but then sometimes it goes right. But, most of the time it just skids across the ground. Every time I get help from the pro it is something else, my mistakes aren't even consistent. I have had to use only my pitching wedge and putter for the matches I've had to play in. If anyone knows anything, please please help!

It happens...more pressure doesn’t help at this stage either. Give it time, and your swing won’t fluctuate this much.

You’re young enough that you could improve over night. Just forget about the results and focus on the process. It’ll come...

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

@Lexie Johnson...you are getting better.  It will not always feel like you are.  It will, on occasion, feel the opposite.  This is your brain sorting thru, and trying to compartmentalize, the blizzard of mental and physical sensations incumbent in the golf swing.  Going off the rails is discouraging but far from unusual.  Everyone that cares about anything experiences confusion and doubt.  You will get past this without knowing why...and cruise along, happily, until it happens again.  That is what we all do.  It is the price we agree to pay when we decide a game is important.  

P.S.  You obviously have a talent, and love, for the game.  Do not allow a temporary manifestation to obscure that fact.

• Like 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Not being a good golfer, I hesitate to offer an opinion.  Of course by this time things may have already worked out for you.

In the past couple of months I have been working on a trigger and sequencing of my downswing.  I’ve done this in the past, but I’ll get away from a specific move.  Then my sequencing and tempo goes awry and my swing turns to real garbage and I struggle to find it.

This time I’m really concentrating on a move to start my downswing and and the next sequence.  After I get the swing started correctly things fall more or less into place, or I can make slight tweaks.  If I start off wrong there is no recovery.

I can’t say this will help you, but your coach may be help you find that trigger.

John

• Like 1

Under 'Swing Thoughts' there are a few videos which have helped me when I have been in your position. I particularly liked 'How To Hit A Driver', really helped me with addressing the ball which I took to my other clubs as well.

Hang in there things will get better. Go to the range without any expectations and relax, don't get mad or upset if you miss a shot, have fun with it. We have all had periods where we felt like we never played before. I played a few weeks ago and lost 8 balls while driving, had to go to my 3W and still a lost a few more, everything was going left and I didn't know why, I wanted to quit and take up tennis but I stuck with it and it all worked itself out. I still only shoot in the nineties but I have fun.

This has happened to me before, as well! I went out to hit a small bucket and couldn't get a ball off the ground! It took me a while to diagnose the problem. I turned to get the Sun behind me and watched my shadow as I swung. I discovered that I was letting my head go toward the target on my downswing. I made some practice swing with the conscious thought of keeping my head back, and then hit a ball. It went up in the air! Trust your instructors. They'll figure it out. And don't get in a hurry. I was able to figure it out in one session, but I've been playing golf for 50+ years, and I've done a lot of self diagnosis over that time. 

• iacas changed the title to Why Am I Playing Like a Beginner?
Note: This thread is 1676 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!