IGNORED

Bryson DeChambeau - Oy

ShawnSum

Maybe Bryson really is what happens when a nerd optimizes for golf.  If so, good for him.  And when I feel it's safe for me to get back to the gym, now I really need to.  I was making good progress the first ten weeks of the year. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Bonvivant said:

There's a reason I didn't mention anything about a bet. He has to stay healthy and keep his wits about him, but as of now, he just looks too dang good every week.

I gotta go with Erik on this. IMO it’s still golf, which is hard. Golf will always win. That being said...I’m curious how BDC can be a great wedge player with those SLI. I have to admit If Bryson became a fierce short game player....he would be very difficult to beat.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

3 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I gotta go with Erik on this. IMO it’s still golf, which is hard. Golf will always win. That being said...I’m curious how BDC can be a great wedge player with those SLI. I have to admit If Bryson became a fierce short game player....he would be very difficult to beat.

I mean, he has been making a pretty dang good case for best in the world since the return. I'd like to see him have one wedge that isn't SLI. Try to bring some touch back to the robot

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

40 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

I mean, he has been making a pretty dang good case for best in the world since the return. I'd like to see him have one wedge that isn't SLI. Try to bring some touch back to the robot

If he listens to Nick Faldo he'll do that.  But who listens to Nick Faldo...

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

If he listens to Nick Faldo he'll do that.  But who listens to Nick Faldo...

Not me lol. 

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

There's a reason I didn't mention anything about a bet. He has to stay healthy and keep his wits about him, but as of now, he just looks too dang good every week.

Golfers get hot all the time. It really generally doesn't last all that long. Bryson isn't Tiger.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

50 minutes ago, iacas said:

Golfers get hot all the time. It really generally doesn't last all that long. Bryson isn't Tiger.

Absolutely, remember that Jordan Spieth fellow? People were rushing into Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods comparisons.

Here is a great article written in 2019, which provides the backstory of why Bryson is well Bryson.

Here is 1 quote from the article that was interesting (Schy was Bryson's coach that transformed his swing from traditional to Homer Kelley's 'The Golfing Machine' swing):"Feel is the enemy," Schy said. "You get to the first tee and there's water left and 1,000 people right. How do you feel now? That was why he bought into the whole process. When you look at everything he does on [the] course, it all makes sense. It gets him out of that moment of trying to guess or feel something.""

ea5b3cce9ad513694ac7e67d8b20bf55_crop_ex

If you want to understand why people don't like Bryson DeChambeau, all you have to do is watch him swing his club. His mechanics are deeply weird. He doesn't bend his left arm. His club travels on a single plane, and all his...

Edited by MiuraMan
added quote

Tropical storm Fay has the courses closed in my area; hence I am able to catch up on my golf reading.

Here is an interesting article on Bryson's game plan for Augusta.

b.jpg

Bryson DeChambeau has more length off the tee than anybody else on Tour, and he's ready to unleash it on Augusta National.

2 hours ago, MiuraMan said:

Here is 1 quote from the article that was interesting (Schy was Bryson's coach that transformed his swing from traditional to Homer Kelley's 'The Golfing Machine' swing)

There is no such thing as a Homer Kelley swing. The Golfing Machine is not a book that describes a single swing style, like the Stack and Tilt swing or the Moe Norman swing. Plus it’s horribly outdated, written before the age of high speed video, pressure traces, and stuff like GEARS.

• Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

18 minutes ago, billchao said:

There is no such thing as a Homer Kelley swing. The Golfing Machine is not a book that describes a single swing style, like the Stack and Tilt swing or the Moe Norman swing. Plus it’s horribly outdated, written before the age of high speed video, pressure traces, and stuff like GEARS.

Do you consider Ben Hogan's book: "Ben Hogan's Five Lessons: The Modern Fundamentals of Golf" to be outdated? 

"high speed video, pressure traces, and stuff like GEARS" are tools used to measure data points, these data points are taken from high level players and are then used by instructors to modify golfers swings into swinging like those measured players. The you tube videos from Athletic Motion Golf are prime examples. What do you call that "swing style"?

50 minutes ago, MiuraMan said:

Do you consider Ben Hogan's book: "Ben Hogan's Five Lessons: The Modern Fundamentals of Golf" to be outdated? 

"high speed video, pressure traces, and stuff like GEARS" are tools used to measure data points, these data points are taken from high level players and are then used by instructors to modify golfers swings into swinging like those measured players. The you tube videos from Athletic Motion Golf are prime examples. What do you call that "swing style"?

Have you read The Golfing Machine or are you just trying to be contrary?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
54 minutes ago, MiuraMan said:

Absolutely.

And what @billchao said about “The Homer Kelley swing” is accurate.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 minutes ago, billchao said:

Have you read The Golfing Machine or are you just trying to be contrary?

Yes. 

Did you read the article posted above or are you being contrary?

1 hour ago, billchao said:

So your main point of contention is that I called it the Homer Kelley swing. So I'll correct that and call it the Bryson DeChambeau swing. The basics of which he was taught at 12 years old by Mike Schy; the article describes Schy thusly:

"Schy was a disciple of Homer Kelley, who in 1969 published a somewhat radical book called The Golfing Machine, which described in exhausting detail the process of building a golf swing using science instead of the traditional cultural methods. The book earned some popularity in the underground California golf world but never really caught on in the main. "In the '70s, they didn't know what that was," Schy said. "It's so difficult to read."". DeChambeau is now working with Como and I am sure they are using all the latest tools to tweak his swing to give him the accuracy he needs to be competitive.

Does that satisfy you?

1 minute ago, MiuraMan said:

So your main point of contention is that I called it the Homer Kelley swing. So I'll correct that and call it the Bryson DeChambeau swing. The basics of which he was taught at 12 years old by Mike Schy; the article describes Schy thusly:

"Schy was a disciple of Homer Kelley, who in 1969 published a somewhat radical book called The Golfing Machine, which described in exhausting detail the process of building a golf swing using science instead of the traditional cultural methods. The book earned some popularity in the underground California golf world but never really caught on in the main. "In the '70s, they didn't know what that was," Schy said. "It's so difficult to read."". DeChambeau is now working with Como and I am sure they are using all the latest tools to tweak his swing to give him the accuracy he needs to be competitive.

Does that satisfy you?

I read the article. And since you quoted it, my point of contention is with the author and not you.

So I don’t know what your deal is.

• Like 1

Bill

My Swing Thread

7 minutes ago, billchao said:

I read the article. And since you quoted it, my point of contention is with the author and not you.

So I don’t know what your deal is.

I do not have a deal!! You quoted my words and did not identify who was the recipient of your pedantry.

"The Golf Machine" sure seems to be a "school of thought" regarding the golf swing, as evidenced by the following web site and numerous instructors on you tube detailing aspects of the swing; outdated or not. 

Our mission is to educate, train and support professional golf instructors around the world.

• Like 1

• Administrator

@MiuraMan, it’s not “a swing.” That’s all he’s pointing out.

It’s “every” swing in a sort of fashion. You can describe Bryson, Tiger, JT, Brooks… all with TGM. Kinda.

It’s not “a swing.”

And just read the words written, please. Any tone added is added by you.

No real need for “!!!” etc.