Vinsk

NCAA Football 2019

398 posts / 12053 viewsLast Reply

Urban had a somewhat similar story with Tebow at Florida. Tebow gets knocked out cold in the KU game. Urban was going to sit him out during the LSU game. Tebow and his dad show up at Urban's house and demand to know why they are sitting Tebow out since the trainers and doctors at Florida cleared him to play. 

1. They want to play football
2. This was a freak accident and football is a dangerous game

You can't use hindsight in this case to say Saban did anything wrong here. OSU had a similar situation last night. Up by 28 can quickly go up by 21 with a 3 and out and a good drive by Rutgers. 21 points at the beginning of the third quarter is not safe. I get it, it's Rutgers, but you just don't want anything stupid to happen on the road. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

12 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I get it, it's Rutgers, but you just don't want anything stupid to happen on the road. 

Nor do you want to unnecessarily risk your young player being critically injured. Saban also wouldn’t have been criticized for taking Tua out of the game. Had tables started to turn ( they wouldn’t have) they could bring him back in. Yes, players want to play and they do just that. But when you have a high profile, NFL bound player who’s just recovered from an injury, and you’ve got your game won...you sit that kid. 

5 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

But when you have a high profile, NFL bound player who’s just recovered from an injury, and you’ve got your game won...you sit that kid. 

Still, it was a freak accident. I don't think I have ever heard of a hip dislocation in football before. That sort of injury is something you see with car crashes. I get it, but the QB also wanted to finish out the half. I can't put much blame on Saban for this. 

8 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Still, it was a freak accident. I don't think I have ever heard of a hip dislocation in football before. That sort of injury is something you see with car crashes. I get it, but the QB also wanted to finish out the half. I can't put much blame on Saban for this. 

True it was a freak accident. And I don’t put ‘blame’ necessarily on Saban. But I think it was a poor decision to keep him in. Football is a high risk injury sport and anytime you can in all probability afford to not play your star player when he’s young and has a huge career ahead of him AND he’s just recovered from an injury...you sit him. I’m remarking on this particular incident and not on how the general  ‘play or not play’ is handled with players.

Players want to play, and you can rack up stats to support a run at a Heisman in these types of games. I don’t think it was wrong at all for him to play. Just a freak injury.

2 hours ago, iacas said:

you can rack up stats to support a run at a Heisman in these types of games.

That’s not really how the Heisman works though. They do their best to avoid bias by spreading the eligible voters over the country, but even then there has been some obvious show of bias ( see article.) Running up stats against unranked teams has little influence on a Heisman candidate. Hell some voters will vote for a candidate just because they ‘like’ him.

hi-res-5790444_crop_exact.jpg?w=1200&h=1

Writing a football player's name in that coveted first spot on a Heisman ballot is a process that involves a lot of hand...

Forgive me for any babbling as I’m on 4mg of Morphine. Surgery tomorrow morning. Thanks TST for giving me something to take my mind off this mess!

Edited by Vinsk

Bo Jackson had a career ending injury similar to Tua's.  Alabama had already seen this type of injury with a previous player and the same ortho doctor was able to help immediately.   Tua's accident was sad but the doctor said he will make a full recovery.   It will affect his Heisman race.

4 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

Bo Jackson had a career ending injury similar to Tua's.

From what I heard, Bo's wasn't a full dislocation. Tua, fractured the socket joint of the hip. Which will extend the recovery time and may prove to have future unknown complications. 

OK - now with the freak previously undefeated teams (MN and Baylor)  (I hate Baylor) with a loss.  The rankings look a lot better to those of us that look at it """SHALLOWLY"""...

10 hours ago, dennyjones said:

Quick..While @Vinsk is gone, let's bash OU!   ;-)

Well that defense has been giving up quite a lot of points lately. Plus-40 to two teams that weren't ranked and the 31 to Baylor on Saturday.

Of course, bushel baskets of points has long been a Big 12 staple.

Still a nice win for them in Waco. Bedlam should be a fun game this year.

Well it's OSU versus PSU week! 

My prediction - Ohio State 41 Penn State 13

Why I think OSU scores over 40 points. Over the past two weeks PSU has allowed over 6.5 yards per play. They have given up 31 points and 27 points. When OSU averages over 6 yards per play they score in the 40's or higher. I think OSU does have a lower running average, probably in the 4.75 range. PSU secondary is not that good, ranked 84th yards per game and 30th in passer rating. I see Ohio State being able to pass the ball well enough. 

Why I think PSU scores under 14 points. OSU's pass defense is suffocating. They are in the top 5 in not allowing WR to get open. They have only allowed 3 teams to pass for over 200 yards this season. They allow a staggering 4.9 yards per attempt. PSU has a horrible passing down sack rate, and OSU has a very good passing down sack rate. Chase Young comes back from his suspension fresh and ready to be a monster. PSU O-line doesn't get much push in the run game (ranked 78th in the O-line being able to move the other line downfield). Ohio State's d-line is ranked 2nd in being able to push the O-line backwards. PSU QB's completion percentage is a staggering 20% less against opponents with winning records. This will be the best passing defense PSU has faced all year. 

How PSU can win, do the one thing other teams haven't been able to do, cause turnovers. They need extra possessions and capitalize on them. The weather doesn't look to be bad like for the Wisconsin game, so no weather shenanigans. If this was at PSU, I would probably have something like 35 to 21. PSU home field advantage is absurd. 

1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

Well it's OSU versus PSU week! 

My prediction - Ohio State 41 Penn State 13

Why I think OSU scores over 40 points. Over the past two weeks PSU has allowed over 6.5 yards per play. They have given up 31 points and 27 points. When OSU averages over 6 yards per play they score in the 40's or higher. I think OSU does have a lower running average, probably in the 4.75 range. PSU secondary is not that good, ranked 84th yards per game and 30th in passer rating. I see Ohio State being able to pass the ball well enough. 

Why I think PSU scores under 14 points. OSU's pass defense is suffocating. They are in the top 5 in not allowing WR to get open. They have only allowed 3 teams to pass for over 200 yards this season. They allow a staggering 4.9 yards per attempt. PSU has a horrible passing down sack rate, and OSU has a very good passing down sack rate. Chase Young comes back from his suspension fresh and ready to be a monster. PSU O-line doesn't get much push in the run game (ranked 78th in the O-line being able to move the other line downfield). Ohio State's d-line is ranked 2nd in being able to push the O-line backwards. PSU QB's completion percentage is a staggering 20% less against opponents with winning records. This will be the best passing defense PSU has faced all year. 

How PSU can win, do the one thing other teams haven't been able to do, cause turnovers. They need extra possessions and capitalize on them. The weather doesn't look to be bad like for the Wisconsin game, so no weather shenanigans. If this was at PSU, I would probably have something like 35 to 21. PSU home field advantage is absurd. 

I have to agree with you.  PSU although beating Michigan is not very impressive.   They should not be rated as highly as they are.   Their high rating will help TTDS but I agree, it won't be close.

My "Updated" Top 10 rankings based just if I went down the list of who I think beats who. The higher you are I think you can beat the teams below you more often then the teams above you. 

1. Ohio State 
T2. LSU 
T2. Clemson
4. OU
5. Georgia
6. Utah
7. Alabama
8. Florida
9. Oregon
10. Michigan

I think there is a big drop off from Clemson to OU. Alabama drops due to losing the only player they could not lose. With so many injuries of defense, and the lost of their best player Tua. Alabama just lost a guy who produced 62% of their total offense. If Alabama faces a top 10 offense, do they hold anyone under 30 points? The question is, can they score more than 30 points with out Tua against a top 10 defense? 

I put OU above Georgia, and Utah because I think OU can win a shoot out. Also, their defense can show up. I don't think Georgia can win a shoot out. Their offense just get bogged down by good defenses. I don't think they score above 21 points against a top 10 defense.

I move Michigan up to #10. I think they are gaining their stride and found somewhat of an identity on offense, but still probably gets beat more often by the 9 above them. 

1. LSU

2. OSU

16 hours ago, saevel25 said:

T2. Clemson
4. OU
5. Georgia
6. Utah
7. Alabama
8. Florida
9. Oregon
10. Michigan

LSU Has far outperformed OSU this season. I don’t care what numbers you play with LSU has beaten FOUR top 10 teams to OSU’s one. There are three teams in the B1G that had hopes of padding OSU’s cupcake lined season, PSU, Mich(?), Wisconsin and the silly Minnesota. All of theses have lost their value. Michigan still a mystery.

I appreciate the fan bias....but OSU is a far second from LSU. You can’t take stats generated from FUA, Maryland, Rutgers, Indiana, Cincinnati because those teams themselves have played nobody. That’s why Cincinnati went out playing bottom feeder teams and got all excited they were winning...then comes OSU..and it’s a blow out.

It’s gonna be the usual outcome. OSU is gonna realize those wins against a beaten Wisconsin team, a beaten Penn, a beaten Minnesota just didn’t give them the sense of what they were going up against from an SEC team or Clemson. OSU will get solidly beat. They’ll realize that 42-0 against the mighty Cincinnati was only impressive within the B1G.200.gif

@Vinsk, you got nothing but basing your opinions on what have you done 5 years ago. You don't take into account that teams change from year to year. Unless you have anything else to bring to the table, then stop acting like a troll. 

44 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

@Vinsk, you got nothing but basing your opinions on what have you done 5 years ago. You don't take into account that teams change from year to year. Unless you have anything else to bring to the table, then stop acting like a troll.

44 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Not at all. B1G fans are known to being sensitive about their conference. People can have opinions without having to produce pages and pages of meaningless stats. You can turn your numbers and make Rutgers look like Big10 conference powerhouse. 

Fatcs: LSU HAS BEATEN 4 Top 10 teams. Period fact. Stop. No more numbers needed.

OSU: has beaten one. OSU has beaten Cincinnati and Wisconsin. 

LSU: Texas/ Auburn/Florida/ Alabama

OSU: Cincinnati/ Wisconsin

How is this trolling? Your constant refusal to admit OSU has a mess of cupcakes is trolling. Maryland/Rutgers back to back weekends? 
OSU has faced what defense? Wisconsin? LSU faced the number one defense in the country. It’s not trolling at all. It’s. B1G fans not being able to look T their schedule and realize it pales compares to LSU’s. 
See B1G fans have always thought a win over Purdue by 35 is much better than beating a top ranked SEC team by 3. That’s just in their nature. It’s completely wrong but so be it. 
We’ll see when OSU gets throttled that my no statistical and analytical bs was in fact not needed. SEC/Clemson is just higher level of football. OSU’s great, very good club. But history Has shown ( and that’s important just ) that the B1G can’t put up in the big games vs SEC.

Edited by Vinsk

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

but OSU is a far second from LSU.

The stats and facts disagree.

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

It’s gonna be the usual outcome. OSU is gonna realize those wins against a beaten Wisconsin team, a beaten Penn, a beaten Minnesota just didn’t give them the sense of what they were going up against from an SEC team or Clemson. OSU will get solidly beat. 

You stated earlier in your post that OSU is in your opinion #2, but then later in the post you state OSU will get solidly beat by SEC teams and Clemson? If you truly think that then Clemson and any other teams from the SEC that you think will solidly beat OSU should be ahead of OSU in your rankings.

Also STOP with the "cupcake" schedule nonsense about OSU, they currently have the 6th strongest schedule in the nation, compared to Clemson's 39th place... Here are a few teams that have played tougher schedules than Clemson:

Tulsa, Texas Christian, Maryland

So keeping in mind the fact that OSU has played a much tougher schedule than Clemson (as defined by strength of schedule, NOT your opinion of OSU's strength of schedule) OSU is ranked higher than Clemson in offensive, defensive, and special teams efficiencies. 

So Clemson is a team that has played without a doubt a weaker schedule, AND has performed worse in those games than OSU has, what about the two teams THIS SEASON makes you think Clemson will solidly beat OSU?

39 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Clemson is just higher level of football

How so? Back up your claims with stats and facts from THIS SEASON. OSU has a stronger overall schedule and has performed better as a whole over the entire season while playing tougher opponents.

Clemson has played ONE ranked team the entire season, and that team is now currently unranked. 

No argument from me about LSU, they are a very very good team and have played a stronger schedule and have better wins than OSU. But it is factually inaccurate to claim that Clemson is a higher level of football team this season.