IGNORED

Teaching Teenagers to Become Better Putters?

Note: This thread is 1643 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am involved in putting together a plan to help a group of teenagers (high school golfers) learn to become better putters -- improve their putting performance over the next several months.  This would involve both indoor practice when there is inclement weather and of course outdoor practice as well, when the weather allows.

I have already spent a couple of weeks thinking about this, and putting some "pen to paper".. well fingers to the keyboard. LOL!!  However I am sure I am missing some things.  And of course I would appreciate your perspective for those who have done this, or experienced it with your kids.

Have any of you done this?  What advice would you give me?  What approach would you use with them?  Any drills? Techniques? Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't know, but I'm going to follow this thread in case it is something that can help me, despite not having been a teenager for quite some time.

I assume AimPoint lessons are already in the gameplan.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

2 hours ago, JuanTheGolfer said:

I am involved in putting together a plan to help a group of teenagers (high school golfers) learn to become better putters -- improve their putting performance over the next several months.  This would involve both indoor practice when there is inclement weather and of course outdoor practice as well, when the weather allows.

I have already spent a couple of weeks thinking about this, and putting some "pen to paper".. well fingers to the keyboard. LOL!!  However I am sure I am missing some things.  And of course I would appreciate your perspective for those who have done this, or experienced it with your kids.

Have any of you done this?  What advice would you give me?  What approach would you use with them?  Any drills? Techniques? Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance.

No goofing off, no cell phones, no practicing bouncing a ball on their putter face.  That would be a starting point.

Teach them how to hit their approach shots closer and I bet they'll make more putts :-P

• Informative 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

I have been working with my Granddaughter on rolling straight putts. We have talked about all putts being straight putts, to a point that may, or may not be the cup. 

We put a coin down on a level part of the green about 18" inches in front off the ball. She takes her stance,  and putts/rolls the ball over the coin. This is also a drill she can do at home on their carpet, which she does. If she hits the coin, she has set up correctly,  and stroked a straight putt. 

We practice controlling the length of putts (lag putting) 

We also spend time practicing on reading greens from various distances/angles. Working with visualizing fall lines, and break points. She will then putt a ball to see if it rolls like she thinks it should have, based on her read. 

We also have little competitions between ourselves. We drop balls at various points on the green, and keep our putting scores for 4-6 holes. 

Her putting goal is to average under 3 putts, per hole from any where on the green. Right now, after 7 weeks, she is at 3.6 putts per hole, down from 5+ when she first picked up a club. She keeps her own stats. 

Probably by the end of November, we will be incorporating a little chipping into her putting practice. Her choice.

I am pretty sure she also watches a few You Tube putting videos. This, based on questions she sometimes comes up with. 

We make it fun practices to keep her interest at a high level. All practices are also on the short side of 30-45 minutes. Again, to keep her interested in what she trying to accomplish. 

As a highschool freshman, she has a pretty full plate with school work, cheerleading, family stuff, and other activities, so I leave her golf practice schedule up to her. We meet about 3-4 times a week.  Sometimes less. I have to be ready at a moments notice sometimes...lol.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

5 hours ago, Patch said:

I have been working with my Granddaughter on rolling straight putts. We have talked about all putts being straight putts, to a point that may, or may not be the cup. 

We put a coin down on a level part of the green about 18" inches in front off the ball. She takes her stance,  and putts/rolls the ball over the coin. This is also a drill she can do at home on their carpet, which she does. If she hits the coin, she has set up correctly,  and stroked a straight putt. 

We practice controlling the length of putts (lag putting) 

We also spend time practicing on reading greens from various distances/angles. Working with visualizing fall lines, and break points. She will then putt a ball to see if it rolls like she thinks it should have, based on her read. 

We also have little competitions between ourselves. We drop balls at various points on the green, and keep our putting scores for 4-6 holes. 

Her putting goal is to average under 3 putts, per hole from any where on the green. Right now, after 7 weeks, she is at 3.6 putts per hole, down from 5+ when she first picked up a club. She keeps her own stats. 

Probably by the end of November, we will be incorporating a little chipping into her putting practice. Her choice.

I am pretty sure she also watches a few You Tube putting videos. This, based on questions she sometimes comes up with. 

We make it fun practices to keep her interest at a high level. All practices are also on the short side of 30-45 minutes. Again, to keep her interested in what she trying to accomplish. 

As a highschool freshman, she has a pretty full plate with school work, cheerleading, family stuff, and other activities, so I leave her golf practice schedule up to her. We meet about 3-4 times a week.  Sometimes less. I have to be ready at a moments notice sometimes...lol.

Patch, you sound like a wonderful Grandpa.  The best thing you can give your Granddaughter is your time, along with a little knowledge of golf.

• Like 1

• iacas changed the title to Teaching Teenagers to Become Better Putters?
  • Administrator
5 hours ago, Patch said:

That generally only works with a minority of people. The majority are what some call "non-linear" putters - they see the curve of the ball.

@JuanTheGolfer, be careful if you're an amateur and would like to stay that way. You're venturing into becoming a pro, whether you intend to or not.

That said, and very briefly:

• Speed
  • Read
  • Speed
  • Bead

I'd teach them that stuff in that order.

First, it's important that they learn to control speed. This also helps build a fundamentally pretty good stroke, with roughly even length backswings and through swings at a good consistent tempo, but you can't read putts with poor speed, and everything crumbles from there.

Have them roll balls to strings, or into rectangles, etc. Speed first.

Then have them roll balls off a Perfect Putter or something similar to learn about reading the greens. Do that for a bit, then have them putt emphasizing that their read only works if they hit the ball the right speed. Or roll it the right speed.

Lastly, work on face/bead. Have them roll putts off the end of a yard stick that's aimed at their desired start line.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

12 hours ago, JuanTheGolfer said:

Maybe Aim Point?

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

14 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Patch, you sound like a wonderful Grandpa.  The best thing you can give your Granddaughter is your time, along with a little knowledge of golf.

Thanks for the kind words. We raised our two daughters up with good values, and kept them active in sports. Our Grandkids get the same treatment, as much as we can provide. 

Her golf season is over for several months, but she wants to work at being better next year. I can help her get a decent short game up to 100 yards,  and let her other coach(es) work with her on her longer game. It was quite a surprise to everyone (very pleasent for me) that she joined the golf team. Out of the blue so to speak. 

We also have a younger Granddaughter (the last of 6) who is an 8th grader, who's into soccer/basketball. The irony is, she just might be the better golfer of the two. She likes to "bang" balls on the range with me on occassions. She's our "Tom Boy". 

My payment, besides the obvious is that these youngsters keep me on my toes, and active. Same with their Grandma. 

• Upvote 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

1 hour ago, Patch said:

Thanks for the kind words. We raised our two daughters up with good values, and kept them active in sports. Our Grandkids get the same treatment, as much as we can provide. 

Her golf season is over for several months, but she wants to work at being better next year. I can help her get a decent short game up to 100 yards,  and let her other coach(es) work with her on her longer game. It was quite a surprise to everyone (very pleasent for me) that she joined the golf team. Out of the blue so to speak. 

We also have a younger Granddaughter (the last of 6) who is an 8th grader, who's into soccer/basketball. The irony is, she just might be the better golfer of the two. She likes to "bang" balls on the range with me on occassions. She's our "Tom Boy". 

My payment, besides the obvious is that these youngsters keep me on my toes, and active. Same with their Grandma. 

And, the best thing is, you can pick up some teen jargon and use it here.  😁

I would teach them to pay attention to their feet as they walk to their ball on the green. Their feet will tell them the slow and which way the ball will break

Colin P.

Note: This thread is 1643 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!