IGNORED

Best Blade Putter Under $200?

Note: This thread is 1574 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've never been pleased with the putter I have & I'm going to try something new. I know that finding the right putter is going to come down to me personally handling & picking the one that feels the best to me, but I'd like to at least limit it to a few before I go to a store to try them. I do know that I want a blade style putter and I'd like to keep it under $200. What has worked for you?

Sadly there is no such thing as a best putter.  It is the best putter for you and your swing.  Some people putt brilliantly with a cheap 10$ putter, while others need to be fitted by the likes of Scotty Cameron and spend upwards of 500$ on it.  It really comes down to feel and confidence when you putt.  For me, I have a putter that is at least 40 years old, but works for me 🤷‍♀️

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just now, pganapathy said:

Sadly there is no such thing as a best putter.  It is the best putter for you and your swing.  Some people putt brilliantly with a cheap 10$ putter, while others need to be fitted by the likes of Scotty Cameron and spend upwards of 500$ on it.  It really comes down to feel and confidence when you putt.  For me, I have a putter that is at least 40 years old, but works for me 🤷‍♀️

I realize that.  Just wondering what everyone prefers if they do in fact putt with one that's under $200.

29 minutes ago, Double Drops said:

I've never been pleased with the putter I have & I'm going to try something new. I know that finding the right putter is going to come down to me personally handling & picking the one that feels the best to me, but I'd like to at least limit it to a few before I go to a store to try them. I do know that I want a blade style putter and I'd like to keep it under $200. What has worked for you?

eBay baby!  These putters get great reviews:

s-l400.jpg

Cleveland Huntington Beach Collection #1 Putter. Introducing the Cleveland Golf Huntington Beach Collection. Cleveland Golf's...
s-l400.jpg

Brand:Evnroll:Model:Tour Stroke Trainer:Condition:NEW.

1 hour ago, Double Drops said:

Go get on a sam putt lab or something and get fitted for one.  Otherwise, it's kinda blind luck finding the right one.  These days, they match you up with a putter that matches your tendencies pretty well.  

1 hour ago, Double Drops said:

I realize that.  Just wondering what everyone prefers if they do in fact putt with one that's under $200.

The Jessie Valentine in my bag is the 40 odd year old putter.  Can't even imagine it was 200$ expensive (allowing for inflation) back then, let alone now.  The Spalding is newer but probably not much more expensive.  For me, I might need to experiment with some different putters to see if something else suits my swing, but I doubt I would ever spend more than 200$ unless it made that much of a difference.  To be honest, putting is the worst part of my game by far and on the green I am very happy with a safe two putt from any distance 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Love my ping anser sigma g. Retail was 140 USD, but I am sure you could find a used one for 100 or less. The only thing that I wish I would have done was to go shorter, because I am not tall, and hunch when I putt. Bought a 34 inch but could easily go down to 31 inch. Eventually I'll cut it, but it is still fairly new. The way I found this putter was just going into a big box golf retail place and putting for about 2 hours with all sorts of putters. If you have the time to spare, I would try this out.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

First off, go to Golf Galaxy. They always have a collection of used putters that people have traded in. My local GG has a used, but pristine, Scotty Cameron Newport for $80 that I've tried and liked a lot. (It was, and maybe still isTiger Wood's blade of choice - I don't know about now.). It's current retail price for a new one is $400. You can save a lot of $$ buying someone else's cast-off.

But as said by others, putters are a "feel" thing. What's great for me might be terrible for you - or visa versa. As indicated by my signature, I'm currently flip-flopping between a Taylor Made Juno blade and an Odyssey White Hot mallet.Neither are any damn good, but more than likely it's probably operator error.

Driver, 3W & 4 Hybrid: 2023 :titleist: TSR3 
Irons: 2020 :titleist: T300
Wedges: 2012 :callaway: XTour 56o & 2021 Jaws 60o

Putter: :odyssey: Marxman (Mallet) / :tmade: Juno (Blade) plus 7 or 8 others in a barrel in my basement

Yeah, no such thing as a "best" putter in general. That said, a really good putter is the one that is fitted to the golfer's putting stroke. The putter that the golfer can make putts with. 

During my putter buying days, one of my tests for a perspective putter was to hit balls off the center, toe, and hosel end of the putter face. If I found a putter that rolled the ball straight at my target, from those three club face locations, that putter showed promis. I was looking for off center, (sweet spot) impact forgiveness. Sadly, very few could accomplish that task. (Search the internet on how to locate the sweet spot on the putter face) 

Also, the price of a putter has very little to do with performance for the individual golfer. I still have a couple of $300 putters I can't make putts with. 

The putter that I used for well over 25 years, came out of a big box store, and cost me under $30. It was called a "Zone 1" putter. Together, we made a lot of single digit hndcp putts. It was tough retiring that critter, due damage. 

I might also suggest, if possible, when trying out a putter, to test it out on a living, real grass green. Those in store, fake practice greens are not always a good representation of how well a putter rolls a ball. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

IMO, it would be tough to beat the Cleveland HB Soft putters.  $130 for a quality putter.  The Cleveland Frontline putters sound interesting but are right at the $200 price point.

Tommy Armour Impact putters are really good too.  Ive been gaming one much of this year and its got a great feel to it.  

Both my Odysseys are from the used club section at the local golf shop.  Well under $200.

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

You’ll probably get as many suggestions as there are posts.  I would think you would be hard pressed to get a poor quality putter for $200.

But you should know why you don’t like your current putter... weight, balance (face, toe), sight lines, feel off face, insert or no insert, etc.  If you can figure out what you really don’t like about it, you won’t just get a shiny object that you will eventually disdain just as much.  It might even be you just hate to look at it, or just don’t like it.

Every now and then I’ll try a SeeMore.  I have yet to buy one, but for a SBST it seems to help to steady my stroke.

If you are buying new and find one, come back in a couple days and see if it feels the same.  Maybe bring in your putter to compare.  The mind plays funny games.

John

• 2 weeks later...

As if you haven't gotten enough confusing (yet valuable) advice, I would suggest you also think hard about grips:  size, texture, shape, etc.  The grip can make all the difference in feel and weight.  I own a lot (too many?) putters, some quite expensive.  But I put a Ping midsize cord grip on an old $19 Anser 4 I found at Play It Again Sports, and it became my gamer.  You might also check out The Putter Zone for a lot of good advice.

Edited by tucsonsean

On 11/12/2019 at 3:11 PM, Double Drops said:

Impossible to answer.  My suggestion would be to go to a fitter with an open mind and try different things--even mallets.  You might find something that suits you better.  I played bladed putters for a long time but eventually went to a mallet and haven't regretted it on bit.  Of the blades I've tried, I really like Seemore putters, but not so much the original; didn't like the TING sound it made.  (I use a Seemore sb1 now).  I really like center shafted putters.  Maybe try a Newport center shaft putter.  You can even have a red dot put on it like a Seemore.  

Proper fitting and data aside, putters are so personal.  Weight, feel, sound, look, etc. etc.  There's too many variable to make a suggestion for you.  Go and test.  Otherwise, you may go on an endless eBay buying quest; sometimes that works though.  

Somebody already mentioned this before, but yeah everything going on with all these suggestions here in this thread are blind luck unless you know where you are actually aiming your putter. And by this, I mean with a piece of mirror and a laser. Otherwise, you have no idea what you're doing. 

Colin P.

On 11/13/2019 at 12:23 PM, Zengolfer said:

IMO, it would be tough to beat the Cleveland HB Soft putters.  $130 for a quality putter.  The Cleveland Frontline putters sound interesting but are right at the $200 price point.

Tommy Armour Impact putters are really good too.  Ive been gaming one much of this year and its got a great feel to it.  

I'm actually going to pick up the HB or HB Soft myself. The good thing @Double Drops is Cleveland will customize it for you, meaning if you need a flat or upright lie they'll do it, if you need a longer than 35" putter they'll do it in 1/2" increments and for $140 you can't go wrong. Hell, if you want custom paint fill it's only $10 extra.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

On 11/12/2019 at 12:43 PM, Double Mocha Man said:

eBay baby!  These putters get great reviews:

s-l400.jpg

Cleveland Huntington Beach Collection #1 Putter. Introducing the Cleveland Golf Huntington Beach Collection. Cleveland Golf's...
s-l400.jpg

Brand:Evnroll:Model:Tour Stroke Trainer:Condition:NEW.

Yes....I've rolled a few with the Huntington Beach at Golftown and it's a solid putter.

I've see a Wilson Infinite Lakeshore putter on Craiglist...it has good reviews....I'll have to go to Golftown and see if they have one to roll on the the putting green.

But I suspect....a different putter will do me no good....I just plain s*ck....and I don't think a different putter will fix anything....kinda lost my feel the last month...ugh.

Note: This thread is 1574 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!