dagolfer18

Ideal Course Yardage (for Par 72)

Ideal Par 72 Course Yardages  

30 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite yardage to play from?

• <5700
    • 5700-6000
    • 6000-6200
    • 6200-6500
    • 6600-6800
    • >6800
  2. 2. What tees are normally at those yardages?

• Championship/Tournament
    • Regular/Middle
    • Seniors
    • Ladies/Junior/Forward

14 posts / 920 viewsLast Reply

Just put your answer in the poll above. I prefer to play courses around 6100 yards, but will go as high as 6600 or as low as 5600 or 5700. My home course’s tees are 
Blue, White, Gold, Red. Their yardages are 6450, 6050, 5600 and 5050 respectively. I normally play the whites, and will alternate between blue and white in the summer.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

At 74 and still battling RA, I have most enjoyment and the occasional good score from the Senior tees. Speeds up my play to match that of my younger playing partners too. Best to all, -Marv

I think I play courses that are too long for me, in the 6400-6600 range.  I hit the ball far, but not accurately.  Not really sure what is best.

I voted 6k to 6.2k whoch is regular tees here on most courses. Some its seniors (nicer courses). I'm good for 220 to 250 off the drive and my 7 iron is 135-140. This puts me anywhere between 87 and 105 depending on striking that day and difficulty of the course. 

Around 6300 seems to be a sweet spot for my scoring vs. course rating. 

Torrey Pines North Green Tee box is 6346 and is rated at 71.2/122 (They have 5 tee boxes from longest to shortest, black, taupe, green, gold, siver. I suppose the greens would be the "regular tees").  That's where I play most of my full sized course rounds.  All the par fives are reachable in three for me with a short iron or wedge on my approach however there are "long" par fours of 412, 416, 422 and a 90 degree 389 yard dogleg, that for me take two really good shots to reach.

My favorite course to play is in Palm Springs, Cimarron from the combo tees around 6011 yards rating 68/114 (it's a par 71).  My favorite but it doesn't result in as good of differentials, perhaps I should try the blues which are 6328 yards.

Edited by No Mulligans

Voted 6600-6800 and Championship/Tournament. I carry 250 my driver so that yardages fit good for me.

My home course is 6500 from the tips and feels really short. 

This last weekend i played a 7300 yards par 72 course and dammed.. it was too long for me.  

21 hours ago, Cantankerish said:

I think I play courses that are too long for me, in the 6400-6600 range.  I hit the ball far, but not accurately.  Not really sure what is best.

If you feel comfortable playing from those distances, then by all means continue playing there. If not, then just move up a set  of tees and see if you’re more comfortable there. You can always move back.

10 minutes ago, dagolfer18 said:

If you feel comfortable playing from those distances, then by all means continue playing there. If not, then just move up a set  of tees and see if you’re more comfortable there. You can always move back.

I do not know what "comfortable" is.  I can reach the greens on the typical 400 yard par 4 in two, of which those yardages typically have.  I suppose that is as good a bench mark as any.  I just am not confident in anything golf-related, and I suppose that I am looking for someone to tell me what is best.

4 minutes ago, Cantankerish said:

I do not know what "comfortable" is.  I can reach the greens on the typical 400 yard par 4 in two, of which those yardages typically have.  I suppose that is as good a bench mark as any.  I just am not confident in anything golf-related, and I suppose that I am looking for someone to tell me what is best.

I have yet to learn what comfortable is as well. I think my game is still too erratic to find comfortable distances for bench marks. There is too much inconsistency in my drive distances. I may hit 190 then turn around and hit 225. I have been working on a more consistent SS. I did have someone tell me to play the senior tees that I would really be surprised at how much it would affect my game.

At 71 I prefer 5700 to 6000 but will play Longer white tees when playing with younger players. 

I voted for 6200-6500 and this would also be the ideal distance for my driver distance.

But I like to challenge myself.....in the summer with dry conditions....I will some times play 6500-6700 based on how the holes are configured.

At 70, with a body who won't cooperate, I'm perfectly happy playing a course around 6000 yards long. I've regressed from the days when I could average 270 off the tee to something like 200 yards now. At 6000 yards, that still lets me hit middle or short irons into par 4 holes. that's pretty much all I'm worried about.