IGNORED

New Truck

Papa Steve 55
Note: This thread is 1399 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm retiring in May, (Woo Hoo!!). I've never bought myself a new vehicle, always made sure my wife had dependable transportation. My reward for winning the rat race is a new truck. Narrowed it down to the Colorado or the Canyon. Anybody have experience with either, or have 'car guy' insights?

Also going to get my handicap down from an 11 to a 7-8 this summer.....just hit more balls... right?

Those are basically the same truck. I think the big 3 all have good trucks but I am a ford person in general. Just bought a 2019 f150 STX. Crew cab 4x4 with the 5.0 motor and 10 speed transmission. Definitely a nice and capable platform. Has alot of room inside and great power. If you want a GM and are set on a smaller truck then both of those options are basically the same. Would go with whichever looks best to you.

1 hour ago, Casualgolfer said:

Would go with whichever looks best to you.

@Papa Steve 55, my vote is the Canyon. They are both capable and comfortable trucks. Best, Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 1/5/2020 at 7:41 AM, Casualgolfer said:

Those are basically the same truck. I think the big 3 all have good trucks but I am a ford person in general. Just bought a 2019 f150 STX. Crew cab 4x4 with the 5.0 motor and 10 speed transmission. Definitely a nice and capable platform. Has alot of room inside and great power. If you want a GM and are set on a smaller truck then both of those options are basically the same. Would go with whichever looks best to you.

On 1/5/2020 at 9:14 AM, MarvChamp said:

@Papa Steve 55, my vote is the Canyon. They are both capable and comfortable trucks. Best, Marv

I guess they are basically the same, the reason why I was in between. Looked the Toyota and Nissan, they seemed to have a few more bells and whistles but at the expense of interior room. They felt cramped to me. I'll post what I buy in a couple months, thanks for your thoughts.

I went shopping for my retirement truck a couple of years ago.  I bought a Toyota Tacoma and so far I love it !  It was my first ever new vehicle.  Now I'm not a big long legged guy so perhaps interior space is not as crucial for me as it is for you, but all in all I could not be more pleased with my truck.  I get a bit over 20 mpg with a four door Tacoma sporting a fiberglass topper.  I can pull my 12 ft. trailer loaded with my ATV with no difficulty. It's even got room for grandma and the two grand kids.  Whatever you end up with, I hope you have tons of fun with it. 

Edited by Philco

My father in law, who still dabbles in used car sales despite being 'retired', bought a new Honda Ridgeline two years ago.  He usually trades off his new vehicles after a year or so but he's quite fond of this one.  I've had a few chances to drive it myself and I have to say I've been impressed.  There's even a cubby in the box that's waterproof that perfectly holds a set of clubs with a little extra space for a pair of shoes.

Corey

14 hours ago, Papa Steve 55 said:

I guess they are basically the same, the reason why I was in between. Looked the Toyota and Nissan, they seemed to have a few more bells and whistles but at the expense of interior room. They felt cramped to me. I'll post what I buy in a couple months, thanks for your thoughts.

Are you getting all-wheel or four-wheel drive? You live in New England ya know! :-)

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

(edited)
9 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Are you getting all-wheel or four-wheel drive? You live in New England ya know! :-)

Yeah, I have an all wheel Subaru right now. The truck might be 4, or because I will be retired, i might just wait till the snow melts to back out....lol

Where in the Boston Area are you? I'm in Buzzards Bay, lived in Somerville for a bit and on Beacon St.

Edited by Papa Steve 55

3 minutes ago, Papa Steve 55 said:

Yeah, I have an all wheel Subaru right now. The truck might be 4, or because I will be retired, i might just wait till the snow melts to back out....lol

Where in the Boston Area are you? I'm in Buzzards Bay, lived in Somerville for a bit and on Beacon St.

Woburn. I grew up in Scituate.

Scott

My Swing Thread

11 minutes ago, Papa Steve 55 said:

Whitman here, another South Shore boy.....

We used to play you in sports. Nice area.

Scott

My Swing Thread

1 minute ago, Papa Steve 55 said:

I don't suppose you played hockey 70-74?

asking for a friend...

Track, 74-78. I was out of hockey with bad knees in 5th grade. 😀

Scott

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

Scituate

I’ve heard you say this name multiple times and it took me a minute to realize this is how it’s spelled 😃

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

12 hours ago, billchao said:

I’ve heard you say this name multiple times and it took me a minute to realize this is how it’s spelled 😃

It's one of those quirky English spellings that they did because they couldn't pronounce native words. :-P

Scott

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

It's one of those quirky English spellings that they did because they couldn't pronounce native words. :-P

Given that my name is spelled with the Wade-Giles system, I know all about that 😃

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

36 minutes ago, billchao said:

Given that my name is spelled with the Wade-Giles system, I know all about that 😃

It's more like the Monty Python.

It's spelled "Raymond Luxury-Ya-ch-t," but it's pronounced THROAT WOBBLER MANGROVE!

Scott

My Swing Thread

• 5 months later...
On 1/6/2020 at 11:20 PM, Philco said:

I went shopping for my retirement truck a couple of years ago.  I bought a Toyota Tacoma and so far I love it !  It was my first ever new vehicle.  Now I'm not a big long legged guy so perhaps interior space is not as crucial for me as it is for you, but all in all I could not be more pleased with my truck.  I get a bit over 20 mpg with a four door Tacoma sporting a fiberglass topper.  I can pull my 12 ft. trailer loaded with my ATV with no difficulty. It's even got room for grandma and the two grand kids.  Whatever you end up with, I hope you have tons of fun with it. 

Went with a Colorado.

truck.jpg

Note: This thread is 1399 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!