IGNORED

New GHIN… First Impressions?

Sandy Lie
Note: This thread is 1576 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So, I like it but it is not user friendly.  I was successful in posting one Hole-byHole” round but after that I couldn’t do another.  I also found that the holes when posting HbH are not in the same order of the scorecard.  I ended up a little frustrated and just posted scores normally.  I did provide feedback and asked several questions.  They did respond so that was good.  They did say you could edit your score and add HbH data.  I can’t seem to find out how to do that.

iI think they rushed to get this out. Their beta testing was not very good.  They also replied and said they had some issues they are working through.

what are your expectations so far?

Lets be clear, you're discussing first experiences with a revised GHIN system, not the entire WHS.

I saw the same thing as you when I looked at a few courses, the holes didn't appear in the normal 1 to 18 order.  One course was reversed, another appeared completely random.  I'd bet that the State Associations have already taken note of that and are working to correct that.  I do wonder if is the associations that are behind, or whether individual clubs are late in getting their course data into them.

I like the display for the hole by hole posting, that will be extremely easy once they sort out the par and handicap indexing data.  I like the ease with which we'll be able to keep basic statistics.  Beyond that, I'm waiting to see.

• Like 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• billchao changed the title to New GHIN...First Impressions?
28 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Lets be clear, you're discussing first experiences with a revised GHIN system, not the entire WHS.

I saw the same thing as you when I looked at a few courses, the holes didn't appear in the normal 1 to 18 order.  One course was reversed, another appeared completely random.  I'd bet that the State Associations have already taken note of that and are working to correct that.  I do wonder if is the associations that are behind, or whether individual clubs are late in getting their course data into them.

I like the display for the hole by hole posting, that will be extremely easy once they sort out the par and handicap indexing data.  I like the ease with which we'll be able to keep basic statistics.  Beyond that, I'm waiting to see.

Don’t disagree. There appears to be some bugs.  If you just post a Total Score round you cannot (at this time) revise it to be HbH. You can revise HbH now if needed.  I like it, but I suspect their will be some updates.  When I worked at Lockheed a lifetime ago when we did updates or introduced new system interfaces there was always an aspect that was overlooked.  Same here.  I like that they asked for feedback.

I’d be willing to bet that most of the slowness and bugs are due to the fact that everyone has been overloading the servers checking how their handicap changed today. I wouldn’t panic. 

There’s a reason they rolled it out in January and not prime score-posting season. 

• Like 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• iacas changed the title to New GHIN… First Impressions?

It would be nice to set some defaults. Right now it tries searching for courses in the area, instead of setting a default course. I have to go into Recent courses, and choose the home course. Also set the default tees for a specific course. 90% of my scores are on the same course from the same tees.

I was also going to say that I can't find a trend index, but then realized that as I was entering my score it updated the index immediately.

Overall, it's working. We already have been notified that it will be until February before we can enter scores hole by hole.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

9 hours ago, jamo said:

I’d be willing to bet that most of the slowness and bugs are due to the fact that everyone has been overloading the servers checking how their handicap changed today. I wouldn’t panic. 

There’s a reason they rolled it out in January and not prime score-posting season. 

It rolled out in some parts of the world in prime score posting season. 

Well, I just saw that my index went from 3.8 to 3.4.  The par on my course that was par 72 from every tee box is now either 68,70, 71 or 72.  And, depending on which set of tees I play my course handicap varies from 0 to 6.  This is more change that I anticipated...   Let's see how this works out.

Edited by Jrwatkins7

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Jrwatkins7 said:

Well, I just saw that my index went from 3.8 to 3.4.  The par on my course that was par 72 from every tee box is now either 68,70, 71 or 72.  And, depending on which set of tees I play my course index varies from 0 to 6.  This is more change that I anticipated...   Let's see how this works out.

See my post from a few minutes ago here:

Also scroll back to about mid-December and start reading forward there.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

7 minutes ago, iacas said:

See my post from a few minutes ago here:

Also scroll back to about mid-December and start reading forward there.

I have been following, and I am sure it will all work out at some point, but to initially see that many drastic changes is a big pill to swallow.  I can imagine a lot of the older folks that I play with having a bit of difficulty with this.

Finally got our area up and running and I'm impressed with the new App features.
The best change IMO is being able to develop a player list and select the player to show course handicaps.

I doubt I will ever use the hole by hole posting as I always have my plate filled with tracking numerous side actions during each round.
Plus generally after rounds, I'll be having a few barley pops and buying drinks with the generous donations from my ATM Buds... 😁

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

16 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

I doubt I will ever use the hole by hole posting as I always have my plate filled with tracking numerous side actions during each round.
Plus generally after rounds, I'll be having a few barley pops and buying drinks with the generous donations from my ATM Buds... 😁

Yeah, and you're unlikely to ever have to worry about the Net Double Bogey maximum hole score.  That's where hole by hole will help a lot of people.

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

2 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

That's where hole by hole will help a lot of people.

True, mostly with the younger and older tech savvy players who are fascinated with Apps.
It should be popular with many new to golf who will be influenced to enter their scores on the App.

For many like you and I, it's "old hat" keeping our entire foursomes scores in our heads while we play.
I still like to visit our Pro Shop once in a while to yak with the Pro and assistants and enter my scores on the PC.

Especially when they hire a new young Philly who is a joy to anyone's eyes to answer the phone and work the counter … 

I need to figure out a way to import daily index's now.
This new daily update will be a pain in my U know what with guys whining about getting another stroke or two ... 

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

3 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Yeah, and you're unlikely to ever have to worry about the Net Double Bogey maximum hole score.  That's where hole by hole will help a lot of people.

Only if people choose that somewhat laborious process to enter their scores.  I won’t.  I suspect many (most?) others won’t either.   

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• Administrator
1 hour ago, David in FL said:

Only if people choose that somewhat laborious process to enter their scores.  I won’t.  I suspect many (most?) others won’t either.   

"Laborious"?

Also, by entering HBH, you're helping your golf association and the courses you play gather valuable data.

For their sake, please re-consider. It's very quick. Seriously, under 20 seconds. More than entering your total score (with the right adjustments made), but not much more.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

10 hours ago, David in FL said:

To me, when you compare level of effort required, many people will find it more difficult to manually adjust properly for the Net Double maximum hole score, at least at first.  I think it will actually be easier for many to use the hole by hole entry.  Now that I've seen the interface, it really is a matter of hitting 18 fairly large keys on your phone.  For comparison, consider entering a phone number, 10 digits.  Entering 18 holes will take slightly longer, then a quick check on 9 and 18 hole totals, then post.  As @iacas suggests, I don't expect this to add more than 20 seconds to the process, probably less.

• Like 1

Dave

16 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

To me, when you compare level of effort required, many people will find it more difficult to manually adjust properly for the Net Double maximum hole score, at least at first.  

And that’s exactly the point.  The vast majority won’t care.  They’ll post NDB off the scorecard.  Hell, the vast majority won’t even know or care if there’s the possibility of a difference.

9 hours ago, iacas said:

Also, by entering HBH, you're helping your golf association and the courses you play gather valuable data.

For their sake, please re-consider. It's very quick.

I can see that.  I will reconsider.  But I genuinely care about such things, most do not...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 1576 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!