IGNORED

Can’t Read Numbers on the Sole of Irons

Matthew62
Note: This thread is 1522 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This might be a repeat, my apologies if so. 

Craft stores sell a liquid vynal in a squirt bottle. It comes in various colors. Folks use it for designs on clothing, and will with stand repeated washings, and high temps in a dryer. 

My clubs' numbers wore out to the point i had to look twice at them. I cleaned up the number stamps, and filled them with this vynal goo stuff. I used the red stuff as it was handy, and came out of my wife's sewing kit. 

The stuff seems to last, and is going on it's second year of use. The key is to not over fill the stamps, keeping the the goo stuff below the top edge. That said, I have had to touch my wedges which take the most abuse. I chalk it up to normal club maintenance. 

Just another idea on a possible fix. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 minutes ago, Patch said:

This might be a repeat, my apologies if so. 

Craft stores sell a liquid vynal in a squirt bottle. It comes in various colors. Folks use it for designs on clothing, and will with stand repeated washings, and high temps in a dryer. 

My clubs' numbers wore out to the point i had to look twice at them. I cleaned up the number stamps, and filled them with this vynal goo stuff. I used the red stuff as it was handy, and came out of my wife's sewing kit. 

The stuff seems to last, and is going on it's second year of use. The key is to not over fill the stamps, keeping the the goo stuff below the top edge. That said, I have had to touch my wedges which take the most abuse. I chalk it up to normal club maintenance. 

Just another idea on a possible fix. 

Sand blasting the bottom of your sand wedge.

4 hours ago, Mr Puddle said:

I can't understand anyone spending hundreds of dollars/pounds on a set of golf clubs and not putting them in head covers. Just my opinion 

I can't imagine covering up my beautiful forged irons, lol. Or having to mess with a cover on every shot. I don't mind it on the tees and greens, but having to sheath and unsheath every club in my bag would get old quick. To each their own though.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

12 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

I can't imagine covering up my beautiful forged irons, lol. Or having to mess with a cover on every shot. I don't mind it on the tees and greens, but having to sheath and unsheath every club in my bag would get old quick. To each their own though.

I have a golfing friend who has headcovers for each of his irons.  Drives me nuts... adds about 9  minutes to our rounds.  Tour pros don't use iron headcovers and they hit the ball pretty well with dings and scratches.  And I'm not sure if unblemished irons would increase their re-sale value.  Unless they're being sold to another similar user.

Geez... these are not new cars!

Edited by Double Mocha Man

Just now, Double Mocha Man said:

I have a golfing friend who has headcovers for each of his irons.  Drives me nuts... adds about 9  minutes to our rounds.  Tour pros don't use iron headcovers and they hit the ball pretty well with dings and scratches.  And I'm not sure if unblemished irons would increase their re-sale value.  Unless they're being sold to another similar user.

I think that it really depends on the set for blemish/value. A set like mine, which I suppose has some historical relevance since they came out when Tiger switched to Nike, would be affected more in value with blemishes than say most Ping sets, or AP1/AP2 from any era. Mine are actually in fairly good shape, except the 7 iron, which I played from a hazard area this last year and hit a sizable rock that I couldn't see. Put a pretty gnarly ding in the leading edge. I can't tell when I am playing, but a collector probably would have less interest in it than a pristine set.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    

1 hour ago, Bonvivant said:

I think that it really depends on the set for blemish/value. A set like mine, which I suppose has some historical relevance since they came out when Tiger switched to Nike, would be affected more in value with blemishes than say most Ping sets, or AP1/AP2 from any era. Mine are actually in fairly good shape, except the 7 iron, which I played from a hazard area this last year and hit a sizable rock that I couldn't see. Put a pretty gnarly ding in the leading edge. I can't tell when I am playing, but a collector probably would have less interest in it than a pristine set.

I can pretty much assure you that there are very few "collectors" of golf clubs from the "historically relevant" time when Tiger switched to Nike.

A set of Nike forged blades from that era might set you back a couple of hundred dollars in great condition. Not because they're being bought y a collector, but by someone who wants cheap second hand golf clubs.

11 minutes ago, leftybutnotPM said:

I can pretty much assure you that there are very few "collectors" of golf clubs from the "historically relevant" time when Tiger switched to Nike.

A set of Nike forged blades from that era might set you back a couple of hundred dollars in great condition. Not because they're being bought y a collector, but by someone who wants cheap second hand golf clubs.

I'm thinking long term with this, not current day. I think it is neat to own some of the first clubs that Nike produced, and I'm sure that there are other people out there, whether it's Tiger related or not, that would feel the same. What I was getting at, is that if you had a completely pristine set of these, in 30 years time they might be worth some big money (emphasis on might), but if they are dinged up like mine are, there is no real chance at that.

Can confirm on price, too. They were not expensive at all, and before my 7 iron incident, they were in amazing condition with the exception of the paint fills.

2 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

Well that’s the more friendly reason not to have iron covers.....

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

42 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

I'm thinking long term with this, not current day. I think it is neat to own some of the first clubs that Nike produced, and I'm sure that there are other people out there, whether it's Tiger related or not, that would feel the same. What I was getting at, is that if you had a completely pristine set of these, in 30 years time they might be worth some big money (emphasis on might), but if they are dinged up like mine are, there is no real chance at that.

Can confirm on price, too. They were not expensive at all, and before my 7 iron incident, they were in amazing condition with the exception of the paint fills.

Don't think of your clubs as a 401K.  The ROI will not be significant... relax and ding those puppies up.  Like a hammer, they're to be used.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Well that’s the more friendly reason not to have iron covers.....

Guessing my response was the unfriendly one.  😁

Hey, Vinsk, I think I beat you at getting back to the game.  Hadn't played since last April.  Torn tendons in my elbow. I have played 3 nine hole rounds in the last week, with a day or two off in between.  It feels good to be partially back.  The previous scores haven't returned... the swing speed is a bit down... I'm a little rusty.  Hoping you're on the course soon.

2 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Don't think of your clubs as a 401K.  The ROI will not be significant... relax and ding those puppies up.  Like a hammer, they're to be used.

That's for sure. I bought mine to be used and they saw 40-50 rounds last year. 

5 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Guessing my response was the unfriendly one.  😁

Hey, Vinsk, I think I beat you at getting back to the game.  Hadn't played since last April.  Torn tendons in my elbow. I have played 3 nine hole rounds in the last week, with a day or two off in between.  It feels good to be partially back.  The previous scores haven't returned... the swing speed is a bit down... I'm a little rusty.  Hoping you're on the course soon.

Glad to hear you’re out there! Very close for me. Wednesday I’m going out with my pro for a few holes...nice and slow.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

On 2/16/2020 at 7:43 AM, Mr Puddle said:

I can't understand anyone spending hundreds of dollars/pounds on a set of golf clubs and not putting them in head covers. Just my opinion 

Because they are golf clubs, not collectible figurines. 

If used properly, they will smash into a hard plastic/rubber ball thousands of times, violently.  They will be smashed into the ground - turf, sand, mud... they might even be sent downrange once or twice depending on a person's temperament.  Golf clubs should be used, not presented as a piece of art.  They are just chunks of steel. When they are worn out, buy new ones. 

I bought a pair of brand new gunmetal vokeys last month.  First thing I did with the 60* was take it into a bunker and start (gasp) splashing it thru the sand.  Horrific what it did to the patina.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 1522 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!