nevets88

PGA Show 2020

29 posts / 1714 viewsLast Reply

I missed this last year. Takes the task of using a digital level out your hands. $200.

Reminded me I haven't used the Husky in awhile, I should break it out this season, those 1 finger reads are still pesky for me.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This can't be legal....    can it? 

It's not legal, no.

And, given the way it appears to work… fraught with issues. I hope you're able to make sure your belt is 100% perfectly level at all times!

Hmmm. I'm thinking maybe I should have made a PGA Show thread, there's probably gonna be more products on my social media feed.

27 minutes ago, iacas said:

It's not legal, no.

And, given the way it appears to work… fraught with issues. I hope you're able to make sure your belt is 100% perfectly level at all times!

Some of the fat guys I know with beer bellies would never get a good read. Their belts are a mess. 😜

$199 for something thats not even legal seems like a stretch to me. And if you are using it to practice your reads there are free iPhone apps that do the same thing.

52 minutes ago, iacas said:

. I hope you're able to make sure your belt is 100% perfectly level at all times!

Ha!  Right?!

i guess I could see some kind of calibration function whereby it measures whatever the angle of the belt is to a known flat lie at the beginning of the day and then adjusts to that thereafter.

Still , silliness.  But I’m seldom surprised at the nonsense people will pay for.

I'll have to check that out.  I'm going to the show on Friday. 🙂

No way I would spend $200 on that when my digital level works just fine for practice.  Besides my normal playing partner would kill me.

2 hours ago, NM Golf said:

Some of the fat guys I know with beer bellies would never get a good read. Their belts are a mess. 😜

Wouldn’t be limited to bigger people. I guarantee my belt isn’t level, either.

As @iacas said, there are a number of issues I can think of with this device.

Perhaps it's using a gyroscope so it does not have to assume that it is held level? Still, why pay $200 for something that's included in every phone, and is not legal to play with?

4 minutes ago, sjduffers said:

Perhaps it's using a gyroscope so it does not have to assume that it is held level? Still, why pay $200 for something that's included in every phone, and is not legal to play with?

If it had a gyroscope how would it know what angle it was at?

4 hours ago, iacas said:

If it had a gyroscope how would it know what angle it was at?

Well, that's what a gyroscpope does, is it not? Measure orientation and angular velocity. It should know at all times how far away from vertical or horizontal the device is, and (perhaps with a laser?) measure the angle that the green is at from the device.  Combine both info and you end up to the angle of the green from the horizontal (or vertical). By the way, a modern phone also includes a gyroscope...

1 hour ago, sjduffers said:

Well, that's what a gyroscpope does, is it not? Measure orientation and angular velocity. It should know at all times how far away from vertical or horizontal the device is, and (perhaps with a laser?) measure the angle that the green is at from the device.  Combine both info and you end up to the angle of the green from the horizontal (or vertical). By the way, a modern phone also includes a gyroscope...

My point was… how would the gyroscope know if the device was tilted at 2.4% because the belt was 1.3% and the green was 1.1% off, or because the green is 2.7% and the belt is 0.3% the other direction?

Perhaps I don't understand this correctly, but a gyroscope should know that its horizontal axis (as it is bound to the device) is 1.3% off of level , then if it measures, presumably with a laser, that the green is off of the device by 2.7%, it could infer that the green is off of the horizontal by 1.4%, for example.

It takes two gizmos built into the device to measure two things: a gyroscope to know the deviation from the horizontal/vertical and a laser to measure the deviation (tilt) from the device.

Edited by sjduffers

5 minutes ago, sjduffers said:

Perhaps I don't understand this correctly, but a gyroscope should know that its horizontal axis (as it is bound to the device) is 1.3% off of level , then if it measures, presumably with a laser, that the green is off of the device by 2.7%, it could infer that the green is off of the horizontal by 1.4%, for example.

It takes two gizmos built into the device to measure two things: a gyroscope to know the deviation from the horizontal/vertical and a laser to measure the deviation (tilt) from the device.

Now you're adding a laser. The initial post - where I reacted to point out that a gyroscope would not cut it - didn't mention a laser too.

I'm also pretty sure the thing doesn't have lasers.

Well, I mentioned a laser (with a question mark) in my second post about this, and I mentioned a gyroscope in my first post only as far as measuring the device being off of the vertical/horizontal. I don't know how the device measures the green's slope, so I was just adding a gyroscope to that measurement method, in my first post.

Ok. Probably not the clearest post I ever made here (or elsewhere). But hopefully you understand what I meant now.

10 hours ago, iacas said:

Now you're adding a laser. The initial post - where I reacted to point out that a gyroscope would not cut it - didn't mention a laser too.

I'm also pretty sure the thing doesn't have lasers.

I want a belt with...

f laser beams.jpg