IGNORED

LPGA: The Good Ole Days? Have You Stopped Watching?

Indy1954
Note: This thread is 1505 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The LPGA is in need of a breakout star. Again, after watching the guys play there’s just such a large gap in talent between them. Justin Rose smoking a driver off the deck, Wallace smashing a 3 hybrid from way left in the rough over the gallery and the trees....Just much more excitement than the usual 150yd lay up.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 minutes ago, Indy1954 said:

I guess I am right, I just posted twice and they both have disappeared.

We've removed off topic posts. Please stick to the topic.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Indy1954 said:

I guess I am right, I just posted twice and they both have disappeared.

Because they’re off topic and don’t further the discussion.

You need to move on.

TV doesn’t show your “fan favorites” because they’re irrelevant and only the “favorites” of a very small number of people.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just now, Indy1954 said:

I replied to post made by others, if mine was off topic I would assume those was off topic.

Please move on.

Scott

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
On 2/15/2020 at 11:18 AM, Indy1954 said:

Why, cause I know they only show the leaders and not players off the hunt even if they are popular players.

Unless you’re taking about Tiger, this is how every tournament is shown on every Tour.

On 2/15/2020 at 11:18 AM, Indy1954 said:

Fans want to see their favorite players no matter if they are in the hunt.

I want to see those playing well. And Tiger.

You want to see Natalie Gulbis? You and her family may be the only ones.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Gulbis is on a TV show we get here in Ohio (Fox Sports Ohio) with a guy named Jimmy Hanlin.

The show's ok if you got 30 minutes to murder, but it might be a good one for @Indy1954 to catch.

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 3:15 PM, Double Mocha Man said:

Move your Dr. Peppers to the side.  I just heard that Indy, while in his timeout, is learning the Korean language.

(I'm sorry, it was just too easy...)

Not true, I already speak Korean.

Back to topic, whether most disagree with my opinion. Many fans have stopped watching the LPGA and attending events because of one reason and one reason alone. And its not because of LPGA not being talented enough.

(edited)

If I'm wrong then why did the LPGA try to make this rule back in 2008, "LPGA instigates must speak English". Behind LPGA closed doors they was really saying what I am saying. That the flood of foreign players has decreased fan appeal.

Edited by Indy1954

Im not sure theres ever been a "good ole days" for me. Ive never watched more than 30 consecutive minutes or so of a televised women's golf event. And that 30 minutes may have been that amateur thing at Augusta National last year. I just have zero interest in watching women play sports in general. 

Except this one time during the last winter olympics, i watched women's curling for like 2 hours straight...to this day i cant explain why...its was like watching a informercial or something. I couldn't turn it off...

I guess I was logged out when I tried to post this so I logged in and posting again. Not trying to post multiple identicle post.

The Media doesn't respect the LPGA much either, that's a problem.

I remember getting ticked off years back. Can't remember the LPGA event but it was a major and the Golf Channel delayed the LPGA televised event to finish showing a PGA non-major event. I thought it was pretty rude of the GC doing that. Then when they did start showing the girls trny they had a split screen, left PGA and right LPGA. So not only have US fans slowed watching LPGA events because of my opinion but the Media doesn't help either.

34 minutes ago, Indy1954 said:

Not true, I already speak Korean.

Back to topic, whether most disagree with my opinion. Many fans have stopped watching the LPGA and attending events because of one reason and one reason alone. And its not because of LPGA not being talented enough.

Is attendance and viewership really declining?  Do you have actual data?  This is from last summer:

In 2010, the LPGA had 100 hours of produced TV and 65 percent of it was tape-delayed. This year the tour will have 500 hours of golf on TV, with 90 percent of it being live.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

5 minutes ago, Indy1954 said:

I guess I was logged out when I tried to post this so I logged in and posting again. Not trying to post multiple identicle post.

The Media doesn't respect the LPGA much either, that's a problem.

I remember getting ticked off years back. Can't remember the LPGA event but it was a major and the Golf Channel delayed the LPGA televised event to finish showing a PGA non-major event. I thought it was pretty rude of the GC doing that. Then when they did start showing the girls trny they had a split screen, left PGA and right LPGA. So not only have US fans slowed watching LPGA events because of my opinion but the Media doesn't help either.

I think part of the issues is women don't really watch women's sports. It ebbs and flows back and forth with highs being the US Women's Soccer Team or the occasional upcoming star like Michelle Wei in her early years. But in general, women don't support women's professional sports.

I know many women who play golf and are really addicted to it. But they would rather watch Men's golf and NFL Football, NBA, and NCAA Men's basketball etc. Not sure why. I will ask them next time I see them.

Scott

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
43 minutes ago, Indy1954 said:

Many fans have stopped watching the LPGA and attending events because of one reason and one reason alone. And its not because of LPGA not being talented enough.

Viewership of the LPGA Tour is as high as it has ever been.

24 minutes ago, Indy1954 said:

If I'm wrong then why did the LPGA try to make this rule back in 2008, "LPGA instigates must speak English". Behind LPGA closed doors they was really saying what I am saying. That the flood of foreign players has decreased fan appeal.

That was 2008, with Carolyn Bivens.

Michael Whan she was not.

Get with the current times. You're living in a distant past.

Just now, DaveP043 said:

Is attendance and viewership really declining?  Do you have actual data?  This is from last summer:

He does not, because the facts are actually the opposite of what he's suggesting.

On 2/15/2020 at 12:52 PM, Indy1954 said:

Point blank the LPGA needs to cuts down on the amount of foreign players

And you wonder why people reacted as they have.

It appears to be, with almost all of your opinions re: the LPGA, you're in a small minority:

• They should cut down on the amount of foreign players.
  • They should show irrelevant players just because they were popular 10-15 years ago.
  • They are declining in popularity (this isn't an opinion, but a fact you have wrong).

I'll add that girls are the fastest growing segment of golf. The LPGA plays a decent role in that.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Indy1954 said:

Hi @Indy1954

I remember when that happened. I thought it was a terrible idea back then. Personally, I want the LPGA, and all sports, to be a Meritocracy. If you shoot the lowest scores you win, you win, you play again. Your ability to speak English doesn't matter to me. 

I will tell you that I've heard A LOT of guys say the same thing you are saying. "I don't watch the LPGA because it's all Asians." I think it's a ridiculous argument. Here's why, it's been my experience that guys who say that DON'T WATCH THE LPGA anyway. They wouldn't watch it if it was all Americans either. 

I enjoy the LPGA. I personally don't care how many Asians, Euros, or what ever are playing. I watch the LPGA. I watch the PGA. I watch golf. 

• Like 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

(edited)
21 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Hi @Indy1954

I remember when that happened. I thought it was a terrible idea back then. Personally, I want the LPGA, and all sports, to be a Meritocracy. If you shoot the lowest scores you win, you win, you play again. Your ability to speak English doesn't matter to me. 

I will tell you that I've heard A LOT of guys say the same thing you are saying. "I don't watch the LPGA because it's all Asians." I think it's a ridiculous argument. Here's why, it's been my experience that guys who say that DON'T WATCH THE LPGA anyway. They wouldn't watch it if it was all Americans either. 

I enjoy the LPGA. I personally don't care how many Asians, Euros, or what ever are playing. I watch the LPGA. I watch the PGA. I watch golf. 

You said: 

I will tell you that I've heard A LOT of guys say the same thing you are saying...……... They wouldn't watch it if it was all Americans either

First, tks for at least saying you have heard it A LOT of guys saying what I said.

With me you are absolutyely wrong. Back in the 80,90, & early 2000's I watched the LPGA allot.

As for other sports it depends. I watch all track/field both men's and women's, both hold the same interest for me. As for gymnastics I don't watch the men's but watch the women's. Pool(billiards), swimming, hunting/fishing, Olympics, I watch it all men and women's. I do not watch the modern NBA its all boring run/gun, I watched it when it was true BB(Jorden/Bird/Chamberlain/Kareem/Barkley,Ewing/Shaq/etc.

Edited by Indy1954

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Indy1954 said:

With me you are absolutely wrong. Back in the 80,90, & early 2000's I watched the LPGA allot.

We’ve established this. You’re in a small minority. Move on.

Note: This thread is 1505 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!