IGNORED

Golf Channel Moving to Stamford, CT

iacas
Note:Β This thread is 1149 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

25 minutes ago, 3jacker said:

There will be a lot of turnover.Β  Many of the employees here in Orlando will opt out of the move.

Would be interesting to see if they adjust their (already very low) compensation to entice more to move versus just rehire up there.

I’d be very surprised if very many are even offered the opportunity to move. Β 

One of the business advantages to such a move is the ability to consolidate and eliminate duplicate positions.

Unless someone is in a highly skilled position, or relatively senior management, they’ll likely be given a token separation package, a kiss on the cheek and that’s about it.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;Β  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;Β  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's; Β 56-14 F grind andΒ 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty CameronΒ Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
20 minutes ago, David in FL said:

I’d be very surprised if very many are even offered the opportunity to move.

They have contracts.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Yup.Β  I'm sure all the behind-the-scenes riff raff can be let go and just go with what they have in place up there.Β 

I think this will be the beginning end of the Golf Channel as we have known it.Β  Things change, media is changing.Β  PGA Tour will have more options for viewership/sponsorship.Β Β 

Edited by 3jacker

1 hour ago, iacas said:

They have contracts.

Not all employees. Β At least I wouldn’t think so.

I’m not talking about the β€œtalent”...

In David's bag....

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's; Β 56-14 F grind andΒ 60-11 K grind

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Not all employees. Β At least I wouldn’t think so.

I’m not talking about the β€œtalent”...

I think most people are talking generally about the "talent." People don't think about the janitor in times like this - he's just a janitor. Menial labor stuff.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

I wonder how much revenue its internet presence makes. GolfNow, GolfPass, all that. That's Golf Channel right? I remember at one point, it offered individual online instruction where you pay and send in videos. That's gone.Β 

The websites are a total turnoff. Full of ads, like on tv.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I used to work there occasionally. Not as an employee - they were a client of ours.Β 

I also used to think I wanted to work there.Β  Then I did, then I changed my mind.Β  It's probably a fine place to work for Brandel Chamblee.Β  Not so much glory otherwise, it's a grind and salaries were rather low compared to similar positions in other companies because everyone (golfers, anyways) wanted to work there.Β 

2 hours ago, iacas said:

I think most people are talking generally about the "talent." People don't think about the janitor in times like this - he's just a janitor. Menial labor stuff.

Huh.

The talent probably represents less than 20%Β of the workforce. Β I’m more concerned about the other 80%. Β Even the janitor.

In David's bag....

1 minute ago, David in FL said:

Huh.

The talent probably represents less than 20%Β of the workforce. Β I’m more concerned about the other 80%. Β Even the janitor.

That was my initial thought also.Β  Β The on-air personalities may have a contract which would make the move easier but the behind the scenes people are the people that will be disparaged.Β 

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.Β Β  I'm Denny

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Huh.

I’m not, and I said I think most people are talking about the talent. On-air, producers, etc.Β A janitor is a janitor. He can janitor for someone else. It’s not exactly a high skill job or a high paying one.

Of course the janitor isn’t going to move. What’s the sense in talking about that?

55 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

That was my initial thought also.Β  Β The on-air personalities may have a contract which would make the move easier but the behind the scenes people are the people that will be disparaged.Β 

I don't think anyone will disparage them. Why would they?

• 9 months later...
  • Administrator

Β 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I thought for a second BC would find @Vinsk lurking in one of the studios trying to snatch some memorabilia!😜

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator

Lauren and Lisa are out:

Β 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

The NLU Podcast has Lisa on today, and early reports are that Lisa hasn’t got very much here. Not like she hinted at.

I’m only 15 minutes in right now, though, and those reports are from others who are further along than I am.

Here is a clip and a link:

Β 

• Administrator

Lisa didn’t get to host the NCAA in 2019 at her alma mater in her hometown, and she thinks that’s β€œdirectly” related to something that she goofed up in August with Brandel Chamblee. According to her, his reaction was β€œto wave his hands around and act like he couldn’t believe she was screwing up this strokes gained graphic” (paraphrased) during a Golf Central. It was the β€œfourth or fifth incident” with Brandel and she implies that he’s not a good person, that he treats people badly.

She β€œlaid into” one of her bossesΒ (Marc Summers?) after that, in December 2018, when she saw that scheduling email. Her, someone else, and this Marc/Mark person were apparently yelling at each other for awhile that day, and her assignments were minimized after that.

Note:Β This thread is 1149 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!