IGNORED

Full Swing Yipper Who Cannot Hit A Golf Ball No Matter What He Does

Note: This thread is 1346 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

+6 after 12 holes?  On track for a 79 ?
I wish I could play that well once in my lifetime.

My goal is to break 90 if I work hard all summer

But I have no idea how I can practice short game

On 3/8/2020 at 10:50 PM, Club Rat said:

Start a My Swing thread.
Lots of good advice can come from members.

Where is this section of the website?

I would like to get feedback

38 minutes ago, Used2PlayALot said:

https://thesandtrap.com/forums/forum/13-member-swings/

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Used2PlayALot said:

At the navigation bar along the top if you hover over "Forums" in the middle you should see "Member Swings" next to "Instruction". All swings are posted as threads in there

• Thumbs Up 1

My Swing

Taylormade M1 | Mizuno JPX 900 Forged (4-GW) | Titleist Vokey SM7 54/58 | Taylormade Spider X

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator
9 hours ago, DuckhookDenny said:

I think ive had enough.

I just dont want to spend time working on golf anymore or playing. Just want something else to become a passion.

The game will still be here if you ever change your mind.

Maybe try it lefty?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

11 hours ago, iacas said:

The game will still be here if you ever change your mind.

Maybe try it lefty?

Its a possibility. It might be the only possibility to be honest.

Its just too much effort and emotional toil to be worth it now the way im going.

I dont get any enjoyment out of the game, its a slide towards playing worse i cant get out of, i cant hit any shots (other than a big slice, and to have reached 2 and 3 handicap in my life i didnt hit a yip slice to get there.)

It just feels like something i dont want to do in my time off. I work full time and work hard. The last thing on my mind is going to a golf course, yipping, feeling low, starting the week all over again at work until another weekend of yipping comes or night on the range trying to not yip. Theres no escape.

Ive tried visualisation lessons. Ive tried triggers. Tried just going up to the ball and hitting it. Tried not caring. Tried caring like its a PGA tour event. Tried everything.

Its the only thing in my life ive ever been any good at but i just cant handle anymore.

• Administrator

You don't seem to have tried visiting a good instructor and getting a lesson.

Which may not work if they're truly "the yips."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 3/9/2020 at 2:46 PM, mcanadiens said:

There are plenty more qualified people than me to give you golf swing advice, but I do know something about struggling.

When it gets to the point of rage (and it has for me in the past), I think you need to give the game a rest. Maybe a couple of weeks will be just right. Maybe longer than that.

Do something else these next few weeks. Pick a date, maybe April 1. If you want to get back at it by then, go ahead.

I agree. I had some crazy things going on with my pitching and chipping. I took a couple days off and started with the basics, nice and slow. The other that is big for me is during practice. If you start doing the flaw on every swing, STOP and go home. I kept hitting more and more balls figuring I would eventually fix it, but in reality I was setting bad things into my muscle memory. 

On 8/3/2020 at 10:50 PM, iacas said:

You don't seem to have tried visiting a good instructor and getting a lesson.

Which may not work if they're truly "the yips."

I have had lessons in the past. In addition to this ive read countless ideas on the swing by so many people and watched gold constantly.

When i was good at golf, i had a swing where i attacked the ball very much from the inside and played with a strong draw. My grip was odd...the left hand pretty neutral but the right hand strong. The swing was very short and had a very fast tempo, not dissimilar to someone like Nicholas Thompson off the PGA tour.

I got down to a 2 handicap at lowest, and usually a low 3 handicapper hovering around 2.5, 2.6 index.

I wanted to get better as i never felt i hit the ball that well, so i sought out lessons and i saw the trackman numbers and such. We worked on getting the grip better, actually aligning to the target better (whereas before i would just kind of walk up to the ball, shuffle around a bit till i felt it was ok and hit), i started really focusing on things that i still think are good like alignment, routine etc. And the swing path became less inside out.

For a while i played great, then i started getting steeper and steeper and hitting disgusting pull slices all day.

THEN, it started getting to the point where, my mind wouldnt let me take the club away. I would do all kinds of crazy stuff like the club would bounce up and down and my takeaway totally frozen even though pros recommended trigger moves etc.

Then because the game wasnt enjoyable because of the yipping, id start taking time off because i didnt want to go through with all of this and then, i started losing my flexibility, getting bigger etc.

Now I just dont want to go because the only emotions i ever feel are frustration, resentment, annoyance, wanting it to be over after 10 mins and feeling like theres 4 more hours left etc.

If you could take me back to a time where i did not yip, i would play the game again and absolutely love it, but its never ever coming back. Ive tried everything.

It HURTS. Ive never been any good at ANYTHING else in my life. I put everything into golf from the age of 12 up to about 25.

The last 10 years has just been too much for me. i just cant take it

Your last post sounds like maybe your dealing with depression? Is there something else in your life that is affecting your golf?

I too have really been fighting my golf game. I am nowhere near as good as your bad game. I play Ping irons and convinced myself that it was being caused by the wrong lie angles. I went to see a Professional and he shortened my irons by an inch. I hit the ball better for a day or two, then I was back to bad. I had convinced myself that the -1” was a mistake. A week ago I bought a new/used set of irons in standard length and lie angle. I took them to the practice course a couple days latter. I could not get a ball airborne with anything longer than a 9 iron. I hit about 45 grounders, packed up the clubs and took them home. I made the decision to not try to play golf again until my body stops hurting. I hooked up my boat and went fishing.

My problem is, if I take lessons I can’t practice with my body hurting like it Is, so why waste the money.

I do share your frustration and sadness though, as I really love to play golf.

I wish you the best and if you figure it out please post the cure on here.

On the bright side though, I now have a set of Pings and a set of Titleist to look at.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, CharlieB said:

Your last post sounds like maybe your dealing with depression? Is there something else in your life that is affecting your golf?

I too have really been fighting my golf game. I am nowhere near as good as your bad game. I play Ping irons and convinced myself that it was being caused by the wrong lie angles. I went to see a Professional and he shortened my irons by an inch. I hit the ball better for a day or two, then I was back to bad. I had convinced myself that the -1” was a mistake. A week ago I bought a new/used set of irons in standard length and lie angle. I took them to the practice course a couple days latter. I could not get a ball airborne with anything longer than a 9 iron. I hit about 45 grounders, packed up the clubs and took them home. I made the decision to not try to play golf again until my body stops hurting. I hooked up my boat and went fishing.

My problem is, if I take lessons I can’t practice with my body hurting like it Is, so why waste the money.

I do share your frustration and sadness though, as I really love to play golf.

I wish you the best and if you figure it out please post the cure on here.

On the bright side though, I now have a set of Pings and a set of Titleist to look at.

Hi mate thanks for getting in touch.

I wouldnt say something else is affecting my golf, but i would say i cant see the point anymore in speding a hard day at work, coming home to put effort into something that i used to do naturally and cant.

I just see it as a waste of time, effort and money.

I have gone 2 months without playing now and I couldnt care less from a disappointment point of view.

However theres this feeling i SHOULD be doing something productive with my out of work life, rather than spending it playing computer games and watching sports on tv.

If golf is on, i just turn it off because I cant be bothered with it either.

The thing is, I WANT to be the golfer i was when i didnt yip, because then it would be fun.

But it wont go away. Ive had expensive psychology lessons, its cost me hundreds of pounds.

Its SO HARD for me to contain the disappointment of working hard all week, to think im going to go out to enjoy something at the weekend, which after 20 mins turns into walking around aimlessly, hitting it like an absolute idiot and wishing i was at home.

Im trying not to be melodramatic, but its how i feel

I personally tend to switch to some other sport when I'm not having fun with something anymore, that's the most important thing imo when we are talking about hobbies. Have actually applied this to my work life aswell, not quite as radically tho, I feel no work can be fun at all times. 🙂

Have you ever tried disc golf? If not, I highly recommend giving it a try. If you are from USA, there's crazy amount of disc golf courses, you can find them with app called Udisc. It's really addicting sport seeing the disc glide through air and learning curve is very steep at the beginning. Best part is that it's basically free, all you need is couple discs, even one putter is enough at the beginning tbh. I feel it also supports golf in a way, atleast I've gotten used to being in woods and now when I end up there at the golf course, all I see is gabs that I can hit the ball throught. 😄

Keep hitting golf balls every now and then when you feel like it. When/if you play, don't give a crap about score for a while, don't even mark them. Just enjoy the good shots and try to build them up, there's more to golf than just score.

Note: This thread is 1346 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!