Jump to content
DuckhookDenny

Full Swing Yipper Who Cannot Hit A Golf Ball No Matter What He Does

32 posts / 3796 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

Hello Everyone

I honestly dont know what to do anymore. I used to be good at golf around 5 to 6 years ago. In the UK, a steady 2-3 handicap who had many rounds of par or better, ive broken 70 a few times and always saw myself improving and always wanted to be on the course.

Almost it seems overnight, i completely lost my game, and it has never ever come back.

I have full swing yips at takeaway. I must have lost 10mph of clubhead speed and i struggle to even take the club away. I used to play a nice draw shape on almost all my clubs. I now have a choppy, slappy fade/slice that goes absolutely nowhere and if into the wind, its not uncommon itll banana 70 yards right.

I cant remember the last time i even hit a shot properly.

Today, it really was the final straw for me. After 12 holes, i was already +6 on a very wide open course, having already hit two tee shots into water hazards (and made bogeys, birdying the hole with the second ball each time), i had topped a hybrid 30 yards straight out of bounds, fatted a 6 iron 10 yards, hit a 6 iron 60 yards right of a green, topped a 3 wood 180 yards off the tee along the ground all the way, and hit a 70 yard pitch shot sideways off the toe of the club.

Even on the moderately good shots, i couldnt take the club away.

It came to an awful head today where i walked off the 12th green and im ashamed to say, i smashed all my clubs up and said "im done" and walked off.

 

I think im done with the same sadly, its brought me so much in the past but i just feel so over it and hopeless now. Id do anything to play decent again but it just feels like its all gone.

 

Ive tried most things, lessons, changing clubs, even tried a little psychology but i cant seem to overcome the yips.

 

Can anyone offer any advice? im at my lowest point ever.

 

Thanks everyone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, DuckhookDenny said:

Hello Everyone

I honestly dont know what to do anymore. I used to be good at golf around 5 to 6 years ago. In the UK, a steady 2-3 handicap who had many rounds of par or better, ive broken 70 a few times and always saw myself improving and always wanted to be on the course.

Almost it seems overnight, i completely lost my game, and it has never ever come back.

I have full swing yips at takeaway. I must have lost 10mph of clubhead speed and i struggle to even take the club away. I used to play a nice draw shape on almost all my clubs. I now have a choppy, slappy fade/slice that goes absolutely nowhere and if into the wind, its not uncommon itll banana 70 yards right.

I cant remember the last time i even hit a shot properly.

Today, it really was the final straw for me. After 12 holes, i was already +6 on a very wide open course, having already hit two tee shots into water hazards (and made bogeys, birdying the hole with the second ball each time), i had topped a hybrid 30 yards straight out of bounds, fatted a 6 iron 10 yards, hit a 6 iron 60 yards right of a green, topped a 3 wood 180 yards off the tee along the ground all the way, and hit a 70 yard pitch shot sideways off the toe of the club.

Even on the moderately good shots, i couldnt take the club away.

It came to an awful head today where i walked off the 12th green and im ashamed to say, i smashed all my clubs up and said "im done" and walked off.

 

I think im done with the same sadly, its brought me so much in the past but i just feel so over it and hopeless now. Id do anything to play decent again but it just feels like its all gone.

 

Ive tried most things, lessons, changing clubs, even tried a little psychology but i cant seem to overcome the yips.

 

Can anyone offer any advice? im at my lowest point ever.

 

Thanks everyone

Forget about all the tech stuff and take some swings with the Jim Venetos method. Just go to YouTube and watch. It’ll calm you down and give you some confidence. Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

42 minutes ago, DuckhookDenny said:

Hello Everyone

I honestly dont know what to do anymore. I used to be good at golf around 5 to 6 years ago. In the UK, a steady 2-3 handicap who had many rounds of par or better, ive broken 70 a few times and always saw myself improving and always wanted to be on the course.

Almost it seems overnight, i completely lost my game, and it has never ever come back.

I have full swing yips at takeaway. I must have lost 10mph of clubhead speed and i struggle to even take the club away. I used to play a nice draw shape on almost all my clubs. I now have a choppy, slappy fade/slice that goes absolutely nowhere and if into the wind, its not uncommon itll banana 70 yards right.

I cant remember the last time i even hit a shot properly.

Today, it really was the final straw for me. After 12 holes, i was already +6 on a very wide open course, having already hit two tee shots into water hazards (and made bogeys, birdying the hole with the second ball each time), i had topped a hybrid 30 yards straight out of bounds, fatted a 6 iron 10 yards, hit a 6 iron 60 yards right of a green, topped a 3 wood 180 yards off the tee along the ground all the way, and hit a 70 yard pitch shot sideways off the toe of the club.

Even on the moderately good shots, i couldnt take the club away.

It came to an awful head today where i walked off the 12th green and im ashamed to say, i smashed all my clubs up and said "im done" and walked off.

 

I think im done with the same sadly, its brought me so much in the past but i just feel so over it and hopeless now. Id do anything to play decent again but it just feels like its all gone.

 

Ive tried most things, lessons, changing clubs, even tried a little psychology but i cant seem to overcome the yips.

 

Can anyone offer any advice? im at my lowest point ever.

 

Thanks everyone

Still in the UK? Have a look at samjarmangolf.com 
 

Sounds like you have a lot of thinking going on! You’ve played to a good standard before and can get there again, no doubt. Book wise, try Stillpower by Garret Kramer, cheap copies on EBay/Amazon/Biblio. Good luck, your bad golf sounds better than my good golf :)

Paul R

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, DuckhookDenny said:

Can anyone offer any advice?

Start a My Swing thread.
Lots of good advice can come from members.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 hours ago, DuckhookDenny said:

It came to an awful head today where i walked off the 12th green and im ashamed to say, i smashed all my clubs up and said "im done" and walked off.

I am hoping that was just hitting the ground in anger and not actually breaking the clubs.

WRT playing properly again, may I suggest going to a pro for a lesson or two.  I think having somebody look at your swing with a dispassionate view can help a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, pganapathy said:

I am hoping that was just hitting the ground in anger and not actually breaking the clubs.

WRT playing properly again, may I suggest going to a pro for a lesson or two.  I think having somebody look at your swing with a dispassionate view can help a lot.

unfortunately, no it wasnt just against the ground. I broke all of them. It just became too much for me. Im ashamed of it, i feel stupid of course i do.

Ill aim to get video done if it would help people diagnose my faults.

It feels like my weight never goes back, and that no matter what i do, my mind wont let my body turn backwards in the backswing.

It just leads to a yippy takeaway thats always different and hideous strikes because i simply cant do anything instinctively.

I really appreciate everyone taking their time to try and help me, it means a lot to me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DuckhookDenny said:

unfortunately, no it wasnt just against the ground. I broke all of them. It just became too much for me. Im ashamed of it, i feel stupid of course i do.

I'm guessing you snapped all the shafts.  You could always have them re-shafted.  But I'd suggest getting all new or used clubs.  Don't go back to what you had.  You need a whole new, fresh look.  Then sell all the old heads on Ebay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are plenty more qualified people than me to give you golf swing advice, but I do know something about struggling.

When it gets to the point of rage (and it has for me in the past), I think you need to give the game a rest. Maybe a couple of weeks will be just right. Maybe longer than that.

Do something else these next few weeks. Pick a date, maybe April 1. If you want to get back at it by then, go ahead.

Edited by mcanadiens

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

27 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

There are plenty more qualified people than me to give you golf swing advice, but I do know something about struggling.

When it gets to the point of rage (and it has for me in the past), I think you need to give the game a rest. Maybe a couple of weeks will be just right. Maybe longer than that.

Do something else these next few weeks. Pick a date, maybe April 1. If you want to get back at it by then, go ahead.

Hello there

thanks for the advice much appreciated.

Ive spoken to my dad today and im just going to visit the range with him and help him out for a bit, hes improving steadily and a 14 handicap whilst i clear my head and enjoy a rest. also itll let my body rest.

56 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I'm guessing you snapped all the shafts.  You could always have them re-shafted.  But I'd suggest getting all new or used clubs.  Don't go back to what you had.  You need a whole new, fresh look.  Then sell all the old heads on Ebay.

Hi There

I do have the heads. Theyre old Ping I's.

Even though im a very short hitter, i always preferred Dynamic Gold shafts. Always felt a certain way, distance didnt bother me too much.

I hit an 8 iron 150 and i dont need any more than that. 7 iron 160 etc. thats fine for me.

I did have Nippon Modus 105s in those irons but never really liked them. Just felt like "nothing". Actually to me FELT quite stiff, even though they arent.

Thanks for the help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone's who's played this game for any length of time can likely relate.   You have a particularly bad case of whatever it is, but yeah, it can be frustrating to the point of infuriating.  

I second the opinion that a nice long break is in order. Long enough to where when you return, everything feels uncomfortable.  Then concentrate on setup/alignment/grip (you know, the things everybody can get right regardless of ability). 

Good luck.  I know what it's like to have a love/hate relationship with golf. I took up flyfishing as a fallback sport. Much more relaxing, have never broken my fly rods. 

Golf is a crazy game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Take a break, remember why you loved the game, remember you are fortunate to be able to physically and financialy play, think of all of the positives, and then go see a professional. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Nothing is worse than just staring at the ball and your mind is so cluttered that you can't even get started.  Sooner or later, you make a forced takeaway and then nothing but bad things happen.

Ironically I decided to break the cardinal rule, I started my takeaway with my right hand.  It was almost like my brain was at a loss of words.  I thought it would really cause problems, but the club found it way where it needed to go and it didn't change the downswing.  I don't know if it will stick, but for now it seems to have removed a lot of tension.

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 3/9/2020 at 3:15 PM, DuckhookDenny said:

 

Even though im a very short hitter, i always preferred Dynamic Gold shafts. Always felt a certain way, distance didnt bother me too much.

I hit an 8 iron 150 and i dont need any more than that. 7 iron 160 etc. thats fine for me.

 

LOL. Scratch or better potential complaining about being a very short hitter. I would say that improvement would begin with a proper perspective of your game. With a swing speed that would average over 270 yard carry:

 

CarryDistanceSwingSpeedChart.jpg

On 3/9/2020 at 4:32 PM, DrvFrShow said:

That's not exactly a short hitter. That's average.

Or above average.

Edited by Carl3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Depends upon the lofts of the clubs. Game improvement iron lofts for 7 irons are between 27 and 30 degrees these days. That table is for PGA tour lofted clubs. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I feel for ya man I do, last year was the same thing for me albeit my scores were always higher. Mid 90s with a couple fluke days in the 80s. Had a stretch in August where I couldnt even get a pitching wedge off the turf. I decided to call it a year because it wasnt bringing any joy. Picked up the clubs last week for the first time and the front 9 was a lot of the same. I was with some friends so I didnt leave, but I told myself that this was going to be the last 9 I played, if it wasnt fun anymore then why do it was my rationale. For some reason it was like an epic relief that I didnt need to hit a certain score, a certain shot, or even golf again. Not that my swing was great to begin with but I was hitting nice draws, put one on a par three to about two feet. Ended up shooting 40 on the back, which is a good score for me. I'm not assuming how you dealt with the mental game, but I've read the zen golf book, and some others and I can say for me is that you cant force a good mental state, It's like forcing a swing. You have to truly allow the mental part to happen. I've said I was done before, but for the first time I actually believed in swinging free, and having no responsiblity to play ever and it opened my game back up. Played again this week before the courses were shut down, and while my score wasnt amazing I had more fun than I have had in awhile. Golf cant be forced, I've learned, and neither cant the mind. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This sounds like me except I was never as good and a way shorter hitter.  Keep us informed about what you find out, maybe it will help me also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • TST Affiliates

    SuperSpeed
    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo
  • Posts

    • It's up to the Committee to decide, in advance, and publish for the competitors, what the rules are around handicaps.  What any of us thinks is "right" should be overruled by the specific rules of the competition.  Now if I'm on that Committee, I would want to use the handicap as of the date of the match, but I'm not the one making the decisions.
    • Thanks for that info. I recently injured my left knee (I'm a righty) and tried to continue playing with a brace on and then added a cortisone shot. I finally wound up with gel injection which does help with pain relief except that my brain doesn't want to fully shift weight back ro the left side. The injury is not structural, it was a re-injury of a 6 year old meniscus tear that I had 2 months of intense PT on and had not been a concern since until post-Covid return to play. My golf swing stops without releasing my body because of weakness and lack of stability. So I tried a foot flare on my left side, between 35-40 degrees. A much smaller flare on right foot, and I opened my shoulders a bit to accommodate. In practice swings without a ball it feels much better and I can swing through. Does that sound right? I will try it at the range because I am stumped getting "through" the ball otherwise.
    • Go back and look at Golf Digests Hot List from 5-7 years ago online and find the game improvement category. The Hot List is a bit of a joke I realize but you will see the offerings from all the big companies for that year. Then just go on Ebay and see what you can find putting in whichever club looks good. Ping, Callaway, Taylormade, Cobra, Cleveland, all good options.
    • Few different things to look at here. First as already mentioned 6.5K spin is really high and no shaft is going to bring that down by itself. I would like to see that number under 3000. I would suggest taking a look at where you are making contact on the face of the club as that can greatly influence the spin numbers. Also just fyi, that head is going to produce more spin than something from the last 4 or 5 years. I would almost be tempted to say find a new driver and just go with the shaft that comes with it. What loft is on the current driver as that will also play a big role in spin and launch? Also did not see any mention of ball flight height. Assuming its really high, but wanted to check if it starts high or rises up after launch. If you want comp shaft recommendations to the Slay, which is technically mid price range by todays pricing, there are tons out there. VA actually calls this shaft a high launch, low spin design. Now technically that isn't really possible as launch and spin go together ie high/high or low/low. It really looks more like a mid launch and spin design to me. Similar options to look at could be Aldila Tour Blue 55g (Ebay around $60), any Mitsubishi Blue board style (will say blue in name or have blue color on it) again in 55g (Ebay around $80-$200 depending on model) would be too options. What else did you hit during the fitting, as that could help narrow down options.  Last thing, I might watch this video below I did concerning finding the ideal set up for your driver. Again the swing is going to be the biggest influence but impact position on the face will also play a large role.  
    • I golfed today. I golfed with some of my regular golf buddies. I almost backed out, but am happy I did not. Was feeling kind of down after last weekend when I SUCKED. Today was a much better experience. I did win the front nine, but am not sure yet on the back nine. After I totaled up my score I am happy. My friend Larry asked me 'Where were you last week?". I answered, "I have no idea". Golf... stupid game  
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Blog Entries

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. bandstan
      bandstan
      (50 years old)
    2. boobiemiles
      boobiemiles
      (29 years old)
    3. ButterCuts1372
      ButterCuts1372
      (35 years old)
    4. Dombaker
      Dombaker
      (24 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...