IGNORED

Has COVID-19 Affected Your Golf?

dennyjones
Note: This thread is 1479 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
5 hours ago, David in FL said:

I still don’t think most likely score would be any more appropriate there, than in any other large cup round.

Except… that it is. Again, not in a tournament, but it's totally fine to assess whether you'd 1-, 2-, or 3-putt.

There are just too many variables and subjectivities that go far beyond, “I’m most likely to 2 putt from 20 feet away”...

No, this is where you're going off in the wrong direction. By your definition, unless you're inside two feet, you can't post your "most likely score."

A golfer can can be 30 yards off the green and post a "most likely score." If that happens three times in a round, maybe he takes 3, 3, 2.

Let me ask it this way.  If we were to play a large cup event/round with 6” cups, would you post a score?  I wouldn’t.  

This isn't the same as that.

Again, I’d like to hear what the USGA says.

The answer: the most likely score is fine for posting to handicap for casual play.

3 hours ago, Big C said:

Dave, in your opinion, where would "most likely score" begin?

There's no point at which that begins.

https://www.usga.org/handicapping/roh/2020-rules-of-handicapping.html

image.png

3 hours ago, Big C said:

But what if you strike a putt from 12 feet that hit the raised cup dead center at perfect speed? Do you record a 1 putt? Or say that it was most likely you would have 2 putted from there?

Why would you record a two-putt if you "hit a raised cup dead center at perfect speed"?

You and David are making this far more complicated than it is. You make your best estimate and move on to the next hole. It's just one hole and/or score in a handicap round, only 8 of 20 of which even count.

3 hours ago, Big C said:

Maybe it could begin once you reach the green - but then what if I am facing an 80 footer, where I would be most likely to 3 putt? If I lag it to 1 foot, do I still take that 3 putt? And if I do the same from just off the fringe, does it then become a 1 putt?

Again, not that complicated.

The point at which you "determine" your "most likely score" begins when you pick it up. So if you hit your 80-footer to a foot, you add one stroke. If your 80-footer just barely taps the middle of the cup, you don't even add a stroke - the previous putt would have gone in. If your ball slams into the cup and bounces ten feet away, you post a three-putt (total, two additional strokes) because it would have finished at 15 feet or so.

3 hours ago, Big C said:

Thinking it through, I can't think of a logical starting point for "most likely" - which leads me to conclude these rounds cannot be recorded at all.

They can.

3 hours ago, Big C said:

In other words, if you hit the liner from 12 feet, you still record a 2 putt.

Why would you take two putts if the previous stroke would have resulted in the putt being holed if the liner was in the non-COVID-19 position?

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

As we knew…

new-golf-hole-coronavirus.jpg

The USGA says it's OK under the Rules of Golf and the Rules of Handicapping to count golf scores when golfers don't hole putts all the way in the cup

A quote from the article (emphasis mine):

"In these specific cases, provided guidance from health and governmental officials is being followed, a temporary measure is in place within the United States to accept scores played under these conditions for handicap purposes using the most likely score guidelines, even though the player has not holed out.

So, again, most likely score. Play the hole as far out as you can, maybe even up until such time as you hit the raised cup liner or whatever, and then estimate from there - whether the ball would have gone in, raced by 15 feet, or left a tap-in…

Be honest. You'll be fine.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Ca update...

The order

https://www.gov.ca.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/3.19.20-attested-EO-N-33-20-COVID-19-HEALTH-ORDER.pdf

I've been getting notifications from courses that because of the governors order they are closing, including Coronado, Balboa Park, Torrey Pines, The Crossings.  I'm not sure if any of the San Diego courses are open.  However, Cimmarron golf course in the Palm Springs area sent an email today.  This is pretty much BS in my opinion, how they can conclude that the golf course is an essential business under the Governor's order and that this complies with the residence stay at home is beyond me.

Cimarron.jpg

Edited by No Mulligans

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, No Mulligans said:

This is pretty much BS in my opinion, how they can conclude that the golf course is an essential business under the Governor's order is beyond me.

I agree that it's not an "essential business," but I also think a golf course is a pretty safe place. Certainly safer than visiting a crowded grocery store or something.

Never mind the mental benefits of being able to do something other than watch Netflix or something these days.

I hope the Pinehurst area courses are open next week.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

I agree that it's not an "essential business," but I also think a golf course is a pretty safe place. Certainly safer than visiting a crowded grocery store or something.

Never mind the mental benefits of being able to do something other than watch Netflix or something these days.

I'm getting regular updates from talamore and midsouth, I'll be sure to post here as well as letting you know directly if anything changes.  So far, they're open for golf.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

I don't think the order is meant to be that subjective.  I'm thinking subjective interpretations is a difference between a country like ours and one like China.  Hopefully they'll have only one person per cart.

Edited by No Mulligans

• Administrator
Just now, No Mulligans said:

Hopefully they'll have one person per cart.

I don't really care if they do for my group. We're going to be with the same three people the whole time, in a car, in a condo… etc.

The odds of us actually going were 100% a month ago. They're dropping every day. Probably close to 60% now, at best. We'll see.

I'm not risking my safety just to play golf, but… I'm not canceling just to cancel at this point, either. And the other parent going isn't a dummy, either.

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

I don't really care if they do for my group. We're going to be with the same three people the whole time, in a car, in a condo… etc.

The odds of us actually going were 100% a month ago. They're dropping every day. Probably close to 60% now, at best. We'll see.

Understand, you aren't in such a hot spot... and I'm immune compromised.  I'm thinking error on the side of caution.

Edited by No Mulligans

57 minutes ago, iacas said:

As we knew…

new-golf-hole-coronavirus.jpg

The USGA says it's OK under the Rules of Golf and the Rules of Handicapping to count golf scores when golfers don't hole putts all the way in the cup

A quote from the article (emphasis mine):

So, again, most likely score. Play the hole as far out as you can, maybe even up until such time as you hit the raised cup liner or whatever, and then estimate from there - whether the ball would have gone in, raced by 15 feet, or left a tap-in…

Be honest. You'll be fine.

I played with raised cups today.  It was ridiculously easy to “hole out”.  I shot 73, my best round in two years with a whopping 24 putts.  I didn’t miss a putt under about 8 feet, chipped in twice, and made 2 from well over 20 feet.

Our club has mandated that scores under these conditions not be posted.  

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• Administrator
1 minute ago, No Mulligans said:

Understand, you aren't in such a hot spot... and I'm immune compromised.  I'm thinking error on the side of caution.

Yeah.

The last round I played at WW before they closed it, was one person per cart. Between that and the raised cups, people were playing 18 in 3:15. 🙂

@David in FL, you're not supposed to count any ball that even touches the raised cup as holed. Of course you can "score well" if that's how you count it.

Just now, iacas said:

Yeah.

The last round I played at WW before they closed it, was one person per cart. Between that and the raised cups, people were playing 18 in 3:15. 🙂

We played a 5-ball in 2:55 today.  All separate carts, raised cups, and far fewer people than normal.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Tennis courts should stay open, public or private, for singles matches only.  No using of a common ball, player uses his/her own.  No touching your opponent's balls.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

56 minutes ago, iacas said:

you're not supposed to count any ball that even touches the raised cup as holed. Of course you can "score well" if that's how you count it.

What am I missing? I thought it was just said that if you roll a 5’ putt for example with proper speed and it hits dead center of the hole with the raised liner that’s a holed putt?

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

What am I missing? I thought it was just said that if you roll a 5’ putt for example with proper speed and it hits dead center of the hole with the raised liner that’s a holed putt?

You need to use common sense. If your ball barely grazes it, it wasn’t going to go in.

• Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, iacas said:

You need to use common sense. If your ball barely grazes it, it wasn’t going to go in.

Of course. I was confused with your wording stating ‘ any’ ball and ‘even’ touches. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator

Add a “just” before “any.” And consider the previous posts. The latter should have made things pretty clear as I gave examples of the ball touching but not counting.

• Like 1

I think my course flipped the cups over?  I didnt play today but this is what a friend sent me.  

The munis here put a pool noodle in the cup.

Screenshot_20200320-231634_Instagram.jpg

240PF40J4OCV.jpeg

• Like 1

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Note: This thread is 1479 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!