IGNORED

Is Golf Available Where You Live? (COVID-19 Edition)

iacas
Note: This thread is 1114 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

COVID-19 and Golf  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Are golf courses near you open for play? (Please change your vote as the situation changes.)

• Almost all are open.
    • Some golf courses are still open for play.
    • No golf courses near me are open for play due to COVID-19.
  2. 2. What modifications have golf courses that are open for play made? Select all that apply.

• Limited restaurant/pro shop/clubhouse access.
    • No indoor access at all.
    • Removed ball washers and/or rakes from the course.
    • Tee times spaced further apart.
    • Carts limited to single riders.
    • No carts at all - walking only.
    • Raised cups or foam or PVC inserts to minimize contact with the flagstick/hole.
    • Plentiful hand sanitizer solutions.
    • Only members can play - course is closed to guests.
    • Contact reduced or eliminated - payments handled solely online or by phone.
    • Modifications to group size - twosomes only, threesomes only, family members only, etc.
    • Course is closed.

• Administrator

I still believe that, with a few precautions, playing golf in the time of COVID-19 can be a safe activity that will provide more benefits (fresh air, exercise, a little piece of "normal" and socialization while maintaining a safe distance) than risks. With a few minor changes (the second question), golf courses in most of the country should, IMO, be open for play.

Yet here in PA, and perhaps because our governor is in Harrisburg and closer to Philadelphia (and NYC), golf courses have remained closed since last Thursday night.

In Ohio, the Golf Superintendents Network sent out an email that, in part, says this:

GOLF AND OHIO'S STAY AT HOME ORDER

In response to yesterday’s Stay at Home Order issued by the Ohio Governor’s office and Ohio’s Department of Health, we have been seeking clarification on whether golf courses can remain open for play. Today, we received confirmation that golf courses may remain open for play under Section 5, Part C of the Stay at Home Order, as long as they can comply with Social Distancing Requirements as outlined in Section 15.

To view the Stay at Home Order in its entirety, click here.

Social distancing requirements as outlined by the Director’s Stay at Home Order include:
  • Maintaining a distance of at least six feet between individuals
  • Having hand sanitizer and sanitizing products readily available for employees and customers
  • Implementing separate hours for elderly and vulnerable customers
  • Posting online whether a facility is open and how to best reach the facility and continue services by phone or remotely (applicable to tee time reservations and checking in)
Additionally, maintenance for golf courses can proceed under Section 12, Part K as they are providing services necessary to maintaining the safety, sanitation and essential operation of an Essential Activity as previously outlined (Section 5, Part C).

That link, if it doesn't work, is to this: https://coronavirus.ohio.gov/wps/portal/gov/covid-19/home/public-health-orders/directors-order-to-stay-at-home. It currently just links to a PDF, here: https://coronavirus.ohio.gov/static/DirectorsOrderStayAtHome.pdf

One of the allowed exceptions to staying at home is:

image.png

In other words, you can play golf, and people in Ohio are, for the most part, still able to play golf with modifications.

Note that if your situation changes, you can click "Show Vote Options" and change your vote(s). Please do so as the situation around you changes. I hope to be changing my vote(s) soon from "closed" to "open" on some level.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I got this information in an email today: I love the pool noodle idea. Seems better than leaving the hole raised. 

New Era Golf

Golfers,

The Press Secretary from the Governor’s Office clarified today by email that golf courses may remain open during the COVID – 19  “Stay at Home Order” that ends on April 6th.  Courses that stay open during this shutdown must comply and operate under strict hygiene and social distancing parameters. 

New Era Golf will reopen our courses on Thursday March 26th once we have brought our courses into compliance with these parameters. 

Parts of our New Era Golf Safety Plan:

• Tee times spaced to 15 minute intervals,
  • Extend the spacing of our driving range hitting bays
  • Paying for tee times online or over the phone to limit person to person interaction.
  • Players are allowed to bring their own food and NON-ALCOHOLIC beverages during this time.
  • Carryout food service of a limited menu is available Thursday through Saturday, 5-8 p.m. at New Albany Links Golf Club ONLY.
  • Pool noodles at the bottom of the cup to prevent contact.
  • All bunker rakes have been removed
  • Ball Washers have been removed or covered.

If there are any questions or concerns, please contact New Era Golf COO Ray Finnearty at rfinnearty@pga.com.

CLICK HERE to view the email from the Miami Valley Golf Association that was referenced above.

New Era Golf Courses
Online Tee Times Still Available!

Bent Tree Golf Club
Click Here - Book Your Tee Time Online

Clover Valley Golf Club

Golf Club of Dublin

Glenross Golf Club

New Albany Links

Royal American Links

• Like 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

I'm still seeking specifics for WA state.  All the courses in our direct area are closed today, per last nights stay home proclamation. So we are all assuming WA is closed down for golf.

• Like 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I got this information in an email today: I love the pool noodle idea. Seems better than leaving the hole raised.

I disagree. I think raising the cup minimizes contact more so than a pool noodle or piece of PVC.

2 minutes ago, phillyk said:

I'm still seeking specifics for WA state.  All the courses in our direct area are closed today, per last nights stay home proclamation. So we are all assuming WA is closed down for golf.

Vote now "closed" and change the vote as needed later when you get that clarification.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I think that there are several courses still open in the area.  Any with any civic / government ties have shut down.  Honestly, I think some of this has to do with golf's elitist image - they are encouraging you to go for solo runs / walks for exercise, but are encouraging golf courses to close.  With proper practices, not sure I see the difference.

In Belgium we're in a 'soft' lockdown (as opposed to for example France) but all our sports clubs and facilities are forced to close. No golf at least until April 5th for us.

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

I disagree. I think raising the cup minimizes contact more so than a pool noodle or piece of PVC.

I think either would work, but I'm open to reading your thoughts on why the raised cup minimizes contact more. 

I like the pool noodle, for 2 reasons. The first being I've been told that the virus lives longer on smooth surfaces than on porous ones. So, in my non-doctor mind the pool noodle should be better. Again, I'm open to being wrong on that. The second reason is that it eliminates the VERY unlikely event that I one hop the ball actually into the hole. It would be just my luck that I bounce one in. 

10 minutes ago, phillyk said:

Phil, as I understand it all non-essential services (golf courses, etc.) must close by Wednesday evening, according to Governor Inslee.  So technically you could stay open for two more days.

Although Shuksan, Padden, North Bellingham have all closed early up here.  That is the short list.

Harris county just shut down all non-essential businesses with the latest order. Golf courses won't qualify is my guess. Today will be last chance to play golf per my understanding. 

5 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I think either would work, but I'm open to reading your thoughts on why the raised cup minimizes contact more. 

I like the pool noodle, for 2 reasons. The first being I've been told that the virus lives longer on smooth surfaces than on porous ones. So, in my non-doctor mind the pool noodle should be better. Again, I'm open to being wrong on that. The second reason is that it eliminates the VERY unlikely event that I one hop the ball actually into the hole. It would be just my luck that I bounce one in. 

The surface area with the raised cup is extremely limited, both for cup and for ball.  

(edited)
4 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Phil, as I understand it all non-essential services (golf courses, etc.) must close by Wednesday evening, according to Governor Inslee.  So technically you could stay open for two more days.

Although Shuksan, Padden, North Bellingham have all closed early up here.  That is the short list.

We've been on the phone with all of the other head pros this morning, so we can all on the same page with closing down.  It's the best thing to do.

Edited by phillyk

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

3 minutes ago, phillyk said:

We've been on the phone with all of the other head pros this morning, so we can all on the same page with closing down.  It's the best thing to do.

Add Sudden Valley to the short list.  Just got an email from Brian.

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I feel like the answer there is pretty obvious. The ball isn't even sitting on or touching something for more than a fraction of a second.

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

I feel like the answer there is pretty obvious. The ball isn't even sitting on or touching something for more than a fraction of a second.

And the surface area touched by both ball and raised cup is about the size of a pencil eraser.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

More have closed after the Stay At Home Order, but there are some that will remain open with social distancing controls. I agree that golf can be played while maintaining distance and is a healthy way to stay sane and get some fresh air. It's still too cold for me to go out, but once it warms up, the courses that remain open are going to be VERY popular places. I mostly want to get out and shake the winter blues off of my swing. I could care less if I putt out or not.

newsEngin.25502389_Oregon-District211.jp

Coronavirus: Some golf courses closing, some staying open

- Shane

9 minutes ago, iacas said:

I really don't know enough about how germs work to have an intelligent conversation with you. If I ever do get out to play golf, maybe I'll just stick a tee in the middle of the green an put toward that. I would think that would be safer than either solution, no?

KeenSoreChevrotain-size_restricted.gif.29f6ea83219a7083e51db19fed7ac97b.gif

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

I mostly want to get out and shake the winter blues off of my swing. I could care less if I putt out or not.

Right. I mostly want to see a ball flying through the air, ideally after being hit off grass.

Just now, ChetlovesMer said:

KeenSoreChevrotain-size_restricted.gif.29f6ea83219a7083e51db19fed7ac97b.gif

That's either a fake golf ball or it's traveling really freaking fast. Golf balls do not do that, and they sure as hell don't do that when moving a few MPH like a ball tapping a cup liner.

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

That's either a fake golf ball or it's traveling really freaking fast. Golf balls do not do that, and they sure as hell don't do that when moving a few MPH like a ball tapping a cup liner.

Reveal hidden contents

That was supposed to be funny. 
Sorry, maybe I should have added an emoji? 

Note: This thread is 1114 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!