Jump to content
IGNORED

General COVID-19 Topic


Recommended Posts

My wife works in the local hospital system and she told me they had to increase their capacity from two units to three units to accommodate the increase of cases. People go from 0-60 with their freedom. 

 

Screenshot_20210325-102626~2.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Billy Z said:

My wife works in the local hospital system and she told me they had to increase their capacity from two units to three units to accommodate the increase of cases. People go from 0-60 with their freedom. 

Things aren't looking good in Michigan right now. 

56a0a677-02a4-4bb3-a676-ef62d1eee727-032

Michigan now has the second highest COVID-19 case rate per capita in the U.S., the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported Wednesday.
Quote

 

Michigan now has the second highest COVID-19 case rate per capita in the U.S., the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported Wednesday — the same day state health officials announced 4,454 new coronavirus cases, the biggest daily total this year. 

It comes as the Michigan Health and Hospital Association sounded alarms Wednesday that the state's hospitals are filling up with COVID-19 patients — marking a 633% rise in hospitalizations since March 1 among people ages 30-39 and an 800% increase among those 40-49 years old.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I know several people who refuse to get a vaccine, using excuses like:

1) "Every time I get a flu shot I sick, I'm not getting the frick'n vaccine!"

2) "I have already gotten the C19 virus, so I am immune."

3) "I want to wait awhile to see if it really works"

4) "I want to wait and see if there are any adverse affects from the vaccine."

5) "I think this is a government conspiracy."

6) "I wash my hands and wear a mask so I should be good."

7) "There might be a secret computer chip in it to track you."

   (btw, I have had my two Pfizer injections, so don't flame me for these excuses, but I have heard these from others)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

43 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

2) "I have already gotten the C19 virus, so I am immune."

3) "I want to wait awhile to see if it really works"

I think that each of these excuses are quite valid. More so the former. Can you explain to me why you don't like these?

I'll give my point of view. I did already have the virus. I don't understand how a rushed out vaccine will do a better job than what we know our bodies already do (create antibodies and immunity). I acknowledge that this isn't always the case, but our immune system does a perfectly fine job in almost every case.

To excuse 3, the rapidness of creating these vaccines is alarming. SARS-COV-1 still doesn't have an approved vaccine and it has been known of for almost 2 decades. Same with MERS. I can't really blame someone for being skeptical of that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

I think that each of these excuses are quite valid. More so the former. Can you explain to me why you don't like these?

I'll give my point of view. I did already have the virus. I don't understand how a rushed out vaccine will do a better job than what we know our bodies already do (create antibodies and immunity). I acknowledge that this isn't always the case, but our immune system does a perfectly fine job in almost every case.

To excuse 3, the rapidness of creating these vaccines is alarming. SARS-COV-1 still doesn't have an approved vaccine and it has been known of for almost 2 decades. Same with MERS. I can't really blame someone for being skeptical of that. 

2) Actually, there are variant strains of Covid19 that can be caught, and studies have shown that those who have had C19 have a greater risk of contracting a variant. So if a person can prevent C19 in the first place they are better off. Some of the variants are found in the US presently.

3) Millions of people have gotten the vaccine successfully, and I feel better judgement told me to get mine. I have had the two Pfizer vaccines with literally zero side effects, like a very high percentage of people have experienced. I also like the attitude of most in here that say the vaccine is not just for me, it's for everybody else who I come in contact with. It really has a selfless side to it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

I also like the attitude of most in here that say the vaccine is not just for me, it's for everybody else who I come in contact with. It really has a selfless side to it.

I definitely respect and commend that, but I still feel that how rapid this has been put into mass production warrants scepticism (for those who feel that way).

 

9 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

2) Actually, there are variant strains of Covid19 that can be caught, and studies have shown that those who have had C19 have a greater risk of contracting a variant. So if a person can prevent C19 in the first place they are better off. Some of the variants are found in the US presently.

I don't believe the vaccines were developed with the variants in mind, though it may still help. When I got c19 it was February of 2020. I believe I know where it came from, and I was sick for 1 day. Contracted on a Sunday (almost certain), sick on Tuesday, well on Wednesday. I'm not worried about covid, though I still follow mask guidelines and am not careless about it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Billy Z said:

I know several people who refuse to get a vaccine, using excuses like:

1) "Every time I get a flu shot I sick, I'm not getting the frick'n vaccine!"

2) "I have already gotten the C19 virus, so I am immune."

3) "I want to wait awhile to see if it really works"

4) "I want to wait and see if there are any adverse affects from the vaccine."

5) "I think this is a government conspiracy."

6) "I wash my hands and wear a mask so I should be good."

7) "There might be a secret computer chip in it to track you."

   (btw, I have had my two Pfizer injections, so don't flame me for these excuses, but I have heard these from others)

Initially I was going to wait due to #3 & #4 however several doctors I know, including my primary care physician & clients, my sister who is an RN in Toledo who worked with COVID patients, my sister-in-law who is an RN/Administrator at a major hospital in SE Michigan and my best friend who is an RN in Cincinnati ALL got the vaccine WILLINGLY and ALL told me I should get it as quickly as possible due to what they have seen and are seeing.  These are not random people I do not know, these are people I know and trust and who care about me.  I'm not a doctor and will not pretend to know all of the facts etc. and will take the advice.

Also, I have heard others say "I am young and it will not be all that bad if I get it" and to them I want to relay a true story.  My best friend's son, age 32, got COVID just after Christmas.  That was almost 3 months ago and he still has no sense of taste.  He cannot taste anything, Zip-Zilch-Nada.  It may come back in time but if COVID can cause this symptom to last 3 months in an otherwise healthy young man what other long-term effects may there be?  

9 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

I'm not worried about covid, though I still follow mask guidelines and am not careless about it.

See my comments above, you may worry about it in the future.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, StuM said:

See my comments above, you may worry about it in the future.

I have a friend close to my age (30 and I am 32) that experienced something similar, though not as extreme. About a month of no taste for him. He is also a homebody/introvert, where I am someone that is out of my house for almost all of my waking hours, mingling with people mostly (pre covid era), and in turn building my immune system up. I wash my hands after the restroom or after dealing with something toxic (leaded solder to be specific), but not every time I touch something that may have germs on it. I feel that these are important factors on how susceptible or how severe any illness will be for people, along with age of course. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Bonvivant said:

I have a friend close to my age (30 and I am 32) that experienced something similar, though not as extreme. About a month of no taste for him. He is also a homebody/introvert, where I am someone that is out of my house for almost all of my waking hours, mingling with people mostly (pre covid era), and in turn building my immune system up. I wash my hands after the restroom or after dealing with something toxic (leaded solder to be specific), but not every time I touch something that may have germs on it. I feel that these are important factors on how susceptible or how severe any illness will be for people, along with age of course. 

I am not sure that is true. Yes they lower the risk of catching it but do not eliminate the risk and washing hands has nothing to do with how serious it is once you get it.

I know you said you had a mild case, were you tested for the virus or for the antibodies or Just believe you had it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 minutes ago, StuM said:

I am not sure that is true. Yes they lower the risk of catching it but do not eliminate the risk

Are you saying that someone that lives in a bubble has a comparable immune system to someone that is exposed to germs all day long?

 

15 minutes ago, StuM said:

I know you said you had a mild case, were you tested for the virus or for the antibodies or Just believe you had it?

Just believe I had it. The person that I believed to have got it from had many covid symptoms. I don't often get sick, and I was knocked on my butt for that 1 day. Since then I have been within groups where a handful of people caught it after spending time together (pool league with covid deniers). Nothing for me from any of that. I believe that I am immune and will continue to do so. I follow the mandates and try not to be too close to anyone for exented amounts of time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, Bonvivant said:

Are you saying that someone that lives in a bubble has a comparable immune system to someone that is exposed to germs all day long?

 

Just believe I had it. The person that I believed to have got it from had many covid symptoms. I don't often get sick, and I was knocked on my butt for that 1 day. Since then I have been within groups where a handful of people caught it after spending time together (pool league with covid deniers). Nothing for me from any of that. I believe that I am immune and will continue to do so. I follow the mandates and try not to be too close to anyone for exented amounts of time. 

Why don't you just get tested and be done with it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

22 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Why don't you just get tested and be done with it?

I'm not hurting for cash, but I don't feel the need to spend 70 dollar on something that I am almost certain of. Thats an eight of a new driver! (Kidding)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator
4 hours ago, Billy Z said:

5) "I think this is a government conspiracy."

7) "There might be a secret computer chip in it to track you."

Studies have shown these are the people most likely to think they can define a “divot hole” accurately and universally. 😉

3 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

I don't understand how a rushed out vaccine will do a better job than what we know our bodies already do (create antibodies and immunity).

There are two problems with that.

1. It wasn’t “rushed out.” It was highly prioritized, but they conducted the same trials they would every year. The flu vaccine isn’t really “tested” each year because it’s always a new formulation, yet people get those. mRNA vaccines have been worked on for over a decade.

2. Your bodies do not do anywhere near as good a job as a vaccine, and several people who got COVID-19 got it again later, let alone the reduced immunity to the variants/strains, which the vaccines do a better job of protecting against.

3 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

I acknowledge that this isn't always the case, but our immune system does a perfectly fine job in almost every case.

It does not do as good of a job as the vaccines.

3 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

To excuse 3, the rapidness of creating these vaccines is alarming. SARS-COV-1 still doesn't have an approved vaccine and it has been known of for almost 2 decades. Same with MERS. I can't really blame someone for being skeptical of that.

Yes, you can, because people can understand the science. COVID-19 is much more deadly than MERS and SARS.

According to Wikipedia (and maybe as of January 2020, but also for data since 2012 or so):

  • MERS has killed 866 people.
  • SARS has killed 744 people.

For awhile, COVID-19 was killing more people than that per week… in New York State alone.


2 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

When I got c19 it was February of 2020.

I’d wager that you did not actually get COVID-19 in February, 2020.

Did you get a test?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)
1 hour ago, Bonvivant said:

Are you saying that someone that lives in a bubble has a comparable immune system to someone that is exposed to germs all day long?

No, I was saying washing hands, etc minimize chance of catching Covid but would not reduce severity if caught.  I agree being in a bubble does not help your immune system but have not seen any study that says exposure to misc. germ had any impact on Covid.

 

1 hour ago, Bonvivant said:

Just believe I had it. The person that I believed to have got it from had many covid symptoms

I thought I had it in January. Ached head to toe & had a fever.  Tested for Covid and was negative.  Dr. said there are other things out there that can give fever, etc.

You should get tested to be certain.  It really is not worth the risk, even the minor risk you feel.

Edited by StuM
Fixed typos
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Bonvivant said:
1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

 

I'm not hurting for cash, but I don't feel the need to spend 70 dollar on something that I am almost certain of. Thats an eight of a new driver! (Kidding)

I added the bold above: So your health is not worth $70?  I was young and felt invincible once also so I understand where you are coming from but I have learned things over the years. Sorry if I sound preachy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 hours ago, Billy Z said:

I know several people who refuse to get a vaccine, using excuses like:

1) "Every time I get a flu shot I sick, I'm not getting the frick'n vaccine!"

2) "I have already gotten the C19 virus, so I am immune."

3) "I want to wait awhile to see if it really works"

4) "I want to wait and see if there are any adverse affects from the vaccine."

5) "I think this is a government conspiracy."

6) "I wash my hands and wear a mask so I should be good."

7) "There might be a secret computer chip in it to track you."

   (btw, I have had my two Pfizer injections, so don't flame me for these excuses, but I have heard these from others)

Anyone still using those excuses now is being willfully ignorant. There is more than enough credible info out there from reliable sources to negate any of those "excuses". In fact, there's more than enough info in this thread. I'm too lazy to do all the work for whoever is espousing this nonsense but I will respond to number 7in a temporary fit of helpfulness:

7 - The computer chips are there to reflect space lasers and, as an additional benefit rarely disclosed, provide immunity from jet contrails.

Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)
5 hours ago, Billy Z said:

I know several people who refuse to get a vaccine, using excuses like:

1) "Every time I get a flu shot I sick, I'm not getting the frick'n vaccine!"

2) "I have already gotten the C19 virus, so I am immune."

3) "I want to wait awhile to see if it really works"

4) "I want to wait and see if there are any adverse affects from the vaccine."

5) "I think this is a government conspiracy."

6) "I wash my hands and wear a mask so I should be good."

7) "There might be a secret computer chip in it to track you."

   (btw, I have had my two Pfizer injections, so don't flame me for these excuses, but I have heard these from others)

I'll tell you what is even scarier about these people.

Without even meeting them you know their opinion on pretty much everything from moon landings, 9/11 and  elections.

They all claim to have done "research", meaning they have watched a couple of Youtube videos created by nutjobs.

I'll bet if you said something to them like "What about Bill Gates?", they'd give knowing nods and call you and your friends "sheeple" if you suggested that it is POSSIBLE that scientists know more about science than they do and that the government doesn't really have much to gain by trashing their own economies. As for 5G chips being injected into your arm..........

Their best claim is that the "cover up" is so good that the evidence to support their moronic conspiracy theories doesn't exist.

 

 

Edited by Shorty
Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Shorty said:

I'll tell you what is even scarier about these people.

Without even meeting them you know their opinion on pretty much everything from moon landings, 9/11 and  elections.

They all claim to have done "research", meaning they have watched a couple of Youtube videos created by nutjobs.

I'll bet if you said something to them like "What about Bill Gates?", they'd give knowing nods and call you and your friends "sheeple" if you suggested that it is POSSIBLE that scientists know more about science than they do and that the government doesn't really have much to gain by trashing their own economies. As for 5G chips being injected into your arm..........

Their best claim is that the "cover up" is so good that the evidence to support their moronic conspiracy theories doesn't exist.

 

 

The only conspiracy theories that I subscribe to are 1) No matter where on the course I am the wind is always in my face and 2) Whenever I putt the hole always shrinks to 3 1/2 inches.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...