IGNORED

30-Day (Was COVID) Practice Plan Challenge - April 1-30 2020

Note: This thread is 781 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

@Nail if you have the chance to do this again, literally put the handle in the position you want, hold it right there, and then shape your body to it. Set up to the handle. Every time.

• Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 11 and 12 completed, and also adding day 12 to the other drills to focus on once I get to the range.  Was hoping today, but it's raining here so will have to look for another day this week.

Gus
---------------

Day 13. Struggled with this one, only hit 2-3 out of like 30 that were "good" meaning a nice high, soft launch, most were thin and came out really flat and low (like waist high) or they were fat and out to the right.

The camera angle isnt the best, the ball was more in the middle of my stance than it looks on video. It felt really uncomfortable opening my stance and then opening my trail palm like I'm dealing cards on the way back, it felt like I was going to (and once or twice I did) hit my right thigh/knee on the way back. Is that normal for this kind of shot?

Any thoughts? @iacas

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

42 minutes ago, iacas said:

@Nail if you have the chance to do this again, literally put the handle in the position you want, hold it right there, and then shape your body to it. Set up to the handle. Every time.

Will do thanks. I'm so used to doing it the wrong way I need to remind myself to set up properly

1 hour ago, woodzie264 said:

Day 13 - flop shots

had turn camera around to face back yard for flop catch...

Flop-tastic!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

23 minutes ago, klineka said:

on the way back, it felt like I was going to (and once or twice I did) hit my right thigh/knee on the way back. Is that normal for this kind of shot?Any thoughts?

Just a guess based on watching the video, but you could be trying to keep the club/swing path aligned with the ball/target instead of how your body is aligned.  It looks like your trying to keep the club/path straight through the ball instead of cutting across it naturally, but again just a guess.

Gus
---------------

I've got to play catch up this week. We had some crazy weather over the weekend that got me behind.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

1 hour ago, JGus said:

Just a guess based on watching the video, but you could be trying to keep the club/swing path aligned with the ball/target instead of how your body is aligned.  It looks like your trying to keep the club/path straight through the ball instead of cutting across it naturally, but again just a guess.

Yup that was part of it. Also I rewatched the video and realized I didn't move the handle back far enough so I wasn't presenting enough loft, and my stance wasn't as open as it should be.

I had to feel like the club face was going more out away from the ball/target line (feel isnt real so it is still likely under the plane relative to my open body/feet line), probably because I was taking it way too far to the inside previously.

Much happier with these, I can definitely see the ball launching much higher and softer. Might go to the field by my house in the next couple days and try to catch one, I think I could have gotten close to catching a couple of those today.

Edited by klineka
  • Like 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

32 minutes ago, klineka said:

Yup that was part of it. Also I rewatched the video and realized I didn't move the handle back far enough so I wasn't presenting enough loft, and my stance wasn't as open as it should be.

I noticed you were staying square on the board after I posted then got busy with work.  I agree that these look better and you look a lot more comfortable.

Gus
---------------

Day 13:

I practiced, too, just didn't film it. I had to, just to make sure I didn't film myself breaking a window on camera. The ball was catchable, but I was not about to faceplant in the mud trying. I really wanted to film one of the ones that popped up in the air about hip height and landed just past the cherry tree, but alas I don't have that kind of control over this motion.

Also for whatever reason, when I hit flops the ball launches on my swing path.

I was told there would be bonus points for filming in the rain, but it stopped raining.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
3 hours ago, klineka said:

Day 13. Struggled with this one, only hit 2-3 out of like 30 that were "good" meaning a nice high, soft launch, most were thin and came out really flat and low (like waist high) or they were fat and out to the right.

The camera angle isnt the best, the ball was more in the middle of my stance than it looks on video. It felt really uncomfortable opening my stance and then opening my trail palm like I'm dealing cards on the way back, it felt like I was going to (and once or twice I did) hit my right thigh/knee on the way back. Is that normal for this kind of shot?

Any thoughts? @iacas

You're right that you did a better job in the second video of actually setting up to the handle, but your weight was centered to back in both, too. Remember that the weight has to stay forward a bit, with the right shoulder feeling "higher" than normal. Weight helps control the low point, and you were having to drag the handle through to not fat them.

2 hours ago, klineka said:

I had to feel like the club face was going more out away from the ball/target line (feel isnt real so it is still likely under the plane relative to my open body/feet line), probably because I was taking it way too far to the inside previously.

Right. It's under the plane along the "body line" which for these is left (for a righty) of the actual target line.

27 minutes ago, billchao said:

That's well done Bill.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

10 minutes ago, iacas said:

That's well done Bill.

Thanks. I can't think of the last time I had to hit a short flop on the course, but the ball launching along my stance line isn't really a big deal, right? Like I should just be able to play it?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, billchao said:

Thanks. I can't think of the last time I had to hit a short flop on the course, but the ball launching along my stance line isn't really a big deal, right? Like I should just be able to play it?

It should launch between the face and the path.

Closer to the face.

Day 13, 

I think it went pretty well until I tried the super extreme flop shot. I just struggle to get the right pitching motion when the club is laid that far open and I need to widen the stance. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

It should launch between the face and the path.

Closer to the face.

It was definitely closer to the path than the face. I wanted that ball three feet to the right, so in front of the sidewalk from the camera.

Bill

My Swing Thread

Completed day 13, indoors with foam/rubber balls, except for the super flop shot, couldn't get away with that one.  But plan to revisit this once I can get outside.

Gus
---------------

I’ll have to post mine tomorrow. We’ve got sideways rain, 60 mph gusts and we lost power. Fun stuff!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Just now, boogielicious said:

I’ll have to post mine tomorrow. We’ve got sideways rain, 60 mph gusts and we lost power. Fun stuff!

We had that earlier in the day. I worked in it. Definitely fun, 10/10 would recommend.

Bill

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 781 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!